A worldwide survey was conducted byt the UN...

jaguars4ever

A worldwide survey was conducted by the UN. The only question

asked was:

"Would you please give your honest opinion about solutions to the

food shortage in the rest of the world?"

The survey was a huge failure...

In Africa they didn't know what "food" meant.

In Eastern Europe they didn't know what "honest" meant.

In Western Europe they didn't know what "shortage" meant.

In China they didn't know what "opinion" meant.

In the Middle East they didn't know what "solution" meant.

In South America they didn't know what "please" meant.

And in the USA they didn't know what "the rest of the world" meant.

manthing2.jpg

Funny; but lacks truth though it has grains of truth but not enough to be taken serious.

You don't say... :)

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

"I agree with most of the above except the last comment, about the USA, we support hundreds of countries with "foreign aid""

Shh.. Unlike the Pure Countries In The World (Everyone But The US and Isreal); the US doesn't care about other countries and have never done anything for them.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"I agree with most of the above except the last comment, about the USA, we support hundreds of countries with "foreign aid""

Shh.. Unlike the Pure Countries In The World (Everyone But The US and Isreal); the US doesn't care about other countries and have never done anything for them.

Refresh my memory on what we've done for the Sudan?

And Andorra ?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"Refresh my memory on what we've done for the Sudan?"

I see. Unless the US helps out every single one of the 100+ countries in the world; they will be considered uncaring.

R00fles! o:)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

A lot unless you are just talking about the government. Christian evangelicals have given a lot of money to help the people of Sudan. I've seen several calls for donations to the Sudan in my own area.

You mean besides Clinton bombing the crap out of them in '98 to 'get Osama' in an effort to take the public eye off of his problems with Ms. Lewinsky? Oh yeah....it didn't work...didn't get all that much coverage. Meh.

Clearly not enough.

Anyhow, the foreign aid budget is both miniscule as a percentage of gov't spending (every other major power spends a higher percentage of their budget on aid to the developing world) and, in most cases, rather effective in getting what the gov't wants. (Although, sometimes the problem is that the government wants the wrong things.) But don't think that we're getting nothing in return for the aid we send overseas. You catch more flies with honey than with ICBMs.

Anyhow, I thought that the initial post was pretty clever.

Anyhow, the foreign aid budget is both miniscule as a percentage of gov't spending (every other major power spends a higher percentage of their budget on aid to the developing world)

Their governments give more but their people give less per capita. It's wrong to only include the one, when the fundamental philosophy of conservatives is to let people manage their own money and give as they want rather than having the government control it. I don't think the UN is the most effective aid organization, so I would rather my money go elsewhere. I imagine there are many others who think so as well. But when government is the one giving the people don't have nearly as much choice.

http://www.usaid.gov/fani/Chapter_6--Forei...al_Interest.pdf <-- is a pdf about this that considers both the oda and private assistance along with various other forms of government assistance.

I see. Unless the US helps out every single one of the 100+ countries in the world; they will be considered uncaring.

R00fles! :thumbsup:

First, please stop saying, "R00fles!" or pretty soon I'm going to be obliged to drive a paper clip into my eyeball. The left one.

Second, I don't necessarily advocate helping out every single nation in the world; however, letting what our own Secretary of State recognized as genocide go on without doing much in the way of trying to stop it does strike me as uncaring, yes.

R00fles! :shifty:

First, please stop saying, "R00fles!" or pretty soon I'm going to be obliged to drive a paper clip into my eyeball. The left one.

Don't you know that's how Voly wins arguments?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta