Wha motivates you to choose a platform?

Delerius_Jedi

Well, to be honest it took me quite awhile to decide to get a console. And then: it was only because of both Microsofts and Nintendos recent price-cuts.

I bought a major upgrade for my PC last February, incliding a gigabyte of RAM, a new HDD, a motherboard and a nice Athlon64. All that set me back around $750, because alot of the hardware was new. But even then, I had a good video card, and plenty of other HDD's, DVD drives, etc. from my previous PC.

I like my PC because I can gradually upgrade it.

Now: When the Xbox and PS2 were first released, they retailed for around $3-400, at least. To me: That's too much of an expense for a newly released platform that can never be upgraded. Besides: When those two were released, there weren't any games out for either that really intrigued me.

Now, when I got my Gamecube this summer, I got it because:

Price:

It had dropped to around $150 for the console, plus a game and a limited edition item. To me: that was a solid offering. In addition: the GameCube offered alot of platform-exclusive titles, such as Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Metroid Prime and Eternal Darkness. All great games, that would never be released on other platforms.

At the time: the Xbox had good titles, but it was around $50 more, and most of the titles available for it, that interested me, were also available for the PC, so I considered it a needless expense.

But when Microsoft dropped the price of the Xbox here in September, I changed my mind. I figured it was finally in my price range, and after some digging around I found titles such as Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, and Crimson Skies that were, at the time: Platform exclusive titles.

The games sell the platform, no doubt: But I find that it's really the exclusive titles that do this, not a game such as K2, that will be available on the PC anyway, and with more content than the "clean" Xbox version. Obviously: if you have Xbox Live; you can get the PC content as well.

I don't think I'll get the Xbox2 when it's released. I think I'll do as I did this time around and wait until it drops into an acceptable price range, and the games for the platform have been designed. So I know what types of games this platform will focus on.

I just don't have the money to go and get these things when they're released, which is why I regularly upgrade bits of my PC. I'm not biased against consoles, I just find them too darned expensive when they're first released.

I didn't give the PS2 a second glance until it was under 200, my PS1 works just fine. The only reason I did finally get a PS2 was because it could play all my PS1 games and made for a functional dvd player.

As for the Gamecube... I'm a Resident Evil (survival horror in general) fan... so I had to get one because of the rather stupid Nintendo/Capcom exclusiveness deal. Without that I probably wouldn't have gotten one.

As for XBox... I see no reason to ever own one. Most of the games that are on it are also on PC, and it doesn't really have much in the way of title selection.

I, unlike the elites here on the boards, like japanese RPGs, and since the PS2 is the only console that has those, I bought one as soon as I could for FFX. Now I own around 12 games for my PS2, and want around 4 or 5 more. And out of those 12 games, 4 are available on other consoles. So I think it was worth it.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'm a Resident Evil (survival horror in general) fan... so I had to get one because of the rather stupid Nintendo/Capcom exclusiveness deal. Without that I probably wouldn't have gotten one.

We *need* a thumbs up smilie.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Really just down to the games. Thats the only consideration.

For unique Titles (read whacky) you cant beat the GC. My hands ache from Konga.

If I had to choose just one It would be the PS2 because I love FF and co.

Otherwise the GC. Xbox last because while the games look a bit better they are still behind the others in the type of games I like.

Sudeki and Fable were both huge disapointments.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I'm a Resident Evil (survival horror in general) fan... so I had to get one because of the rather stupid Nintendo/Capcom exclusiveness deal. Without that I probably wouldn't have gotten one.

We *need* a thumbs up smilie.

Have you tried Obscure and The Suffering ?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm thinking of going all the way and getting a PS2 for Metal Gear Solid 3. That game looks incredible, and I'm a huge Metal Gear fan.

Solid Snake has the coolest voice, ever.

Any other PS2 games anyone'd recommend? I do think it's overkill to buy an entire console just for one title.

Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm thinking of going all the way and getting a PS2 for Metal Gear Solid 3. That game looks incredible, and I'm a huge Metal Gear fan.

Solid Snake has the coolest voice, ever.

Any other PS2 games anyone'd recommend? I do think it's overkill to buy an entire console just for one title.

Difficult without knowing what sort of things you like. Presumably you mean stuff that is exclusive to the PS2 ?

478327[/snapback]

Well, I pick the PC platform because not only does it have games I can play but also utility programs such as Word and Excel which I use on a regular basis. Also it allows direct access to the Internet where other platforms lack.

PC user and gamer all the way!

Difficult without knowing what sort of things you like. Presumably you mean stuff that is exclusive to the PS2 ?

Yes. Sorry, I should've been clear about that.

I'm into action and adventure games. Though space games are one of my favorite genres as well.

Well, I pick the PC platform because not only does it have games I can play but also utility programs such as Word and Excel which I use on a regular basis.  Also it allows direct access to the Internet where other platforms lack.

PC user and gamer all the way!

Oh, as I do like my PC for those reasons as well, Hades. Though lately, I find myself using the laptop for work and my regular one for gaming and "fun stuff". As I said: I got the consoles because they offered very good platform exclusive titles.

I've owned all 3 platforms at one time or another, and I also have a solid PC.

My PC is #1, I will always have a PC and the consoles just aren't in the same class.

Originally I bought a PS2 because I wanted a DVD player, and it had a lot more games than the Xbox. This was pretty true for a couple years, and only recently has the Xbox been competitive in the titles available. The PS2 is now dated, and other than GTA and a few RPG's, nothing special is limited to the PS2's. I traded it in to elp get a gamecube.

The gamecube was easy to get because it was so cheap. I was excited to play a few of the classic games from my childhood (Zelda, Mario) but I grew bored rather quickly. I also still wasn't happy with the game selection, a problem I also had with the N64. It also lacked a DVD player. I sold it to get an Xbox.

I told my wife we needed an Xbox because our DVD player was starting the get old. Honestly, I just wanted to play Fable and Ninja Gaiden. I've been happy with it because I got a lot of free games from a buddy, and I can watch movies again.