Knights of the New Republic

Ya its not like Palpatine and Vader could have killed everyone with the force.

But Darth Lumiya, its like the writer had a Chevy Lumina and was like you know what would have been a good name for a sith lord

While I don't like the character, did she appear anywhere else appart from the Marvel Comics?

I remember her having a short story in Gamer or a similar magazine ("Dark Star of the Empire" or something like that).

Anything else?

• 2 weeks later...
Assuming how big is EU material about New Republic that should be studied before making such game, better if this idea will never be realized.

I mean, material about star wars ancient era is very small (7 comics + 1 RPG sourcebook) and yet Avellone & Co managed somehow to screw it completely and made a game that is a mix of Old Trilogy and Neverwinter Nights and has very little common with already established setting (only mention look of Korriban). I don't know how possibly someone, even complete non-starwars amateur, couldn't learn these few things that comics contain and instead trash KOTOR with cheap movie references.

Now imagine a new republic setting that is hundred times bigger and contains

dozens of individuals, plots, political machinations, and  already has main characters (like Luke or Mara) that are extremely well developed and their life stories go well into dozens of novels and comic books. There are millions fans of New Republic Era (like those of xwing series, NJO and others) and they will be really mad  in case of Bioware's another concole-crappy RPG that will twist entire setting and its reality. Only real fans could develop KOTNR's storyline properly

becouse only they know this era of star wars well. I doubt that  Avellone or Gallo have ever bothered themselves to read all xwing series (both comics and novels)

or NJO or even thrawn trilogy that have hundreds of worlds and characters. In case of such (certainly) EU incorrect game Obsidian and LA would be ruined, cause believe me bioware/obsidian you can piss on TOTJ fans but you really wouldn't want to piss millions of xwing and Zahn fans (imagine Darth Nuke multiplied by several thousands like him). While TOTJ is almost forgotten New Republic is very alive, discussed on star wars forums by thousands of fans and well guarded by Sue Rostoni and professional writers like Troy Denning or Aaron Allston.

If Avellone and his gang were so incredibly lazy that they couldn't study few thin comics when developing KOTOR, they would never read all those thick novels about NR Era. Sorry but these guys just don't feel Star Wars.

Well, we can't take credit for K1, we didn't develop it. K2 will try to stay in the same mold and stay true to the conventions of the first game, however, so I will accept your criticism. I thought K1 was pretty damn good, fun, and it felt like a Star Wars game.

There is a good portion of TOTJ material we are incorporating in K2, including Dxun, Onderon, races present in TTOJ, and other sources. It won't matter to people who don't know the EU, but to those that do, I think they'll appreciate seeing those references and recognize them.

As for laziness, I have read all the X-Wing and New Republic books and the Zahn books - in fact, I've read every comic and novel (including all the kid's books) except for one Boba Fett graphic novel that is out of print. I am a friend of Aaron Allston and he was able to give me some much-needed advice on what material to research when starting K2, which he didn't have to do with his busy schedule, and I appreciated.

While I did not come up with the concept for the New Republic game, I will defend it. I think it could be a lot of fun.

As for the Sith Empire, you're right, I must have no idea what I'm talking about.

Assuming how big is EU material about New Republic that should be studied before making such game, better if this idea will never be realized.

I mean, material about star wars ancient era is very small (7 comics + 1 RPG sourcebook) and yet Avellone & Co managed somehow to screw it completely and made a game that is a mix of Old Trilogy and Neverwinter Nights and has very little common with already established setting (only mention look of Korriban). I don't know how possibly someone, even complete non-starwars amateur, couldn't learn these few things that comics contain and instead trash KOTOR with cheap movie references.

Now imagine a new republic setting that is hundred times bigger and contains

dozens of individuals, plots, political machinations, and  already has main characters (like Luke or Mara) that are extremely well developed and their life stories go well into dozens of novels and comic books. There are millions fans of New Republic Era (like those of xwing series, NJO and others) and they will be really mad  in case of Bioware's another concole-crappy RPG that will twist entire setting and its reality. Only real fans could develop KOTNR's storyline properly

becouse only they know this era of star wars well. I doubt that  Avellone or Gallo have ever bothered themselves to read all xwing series (both comics and novels)

or NJO or even thrawn trilogy that have hundreds of worlds and characters. In case of such (certainly) EU incorrect game Obsidian and LA would be ruined, cause believe me bioware/obsidian you can piss on TOTJ fans but you really wouldn't want to piss millions of xwing and Zahn fans (imagine Darth Nuke multiplied by several thousands like him). While TOTJ is almost forgotten New Republic is very alive, discussed on star wars forums by thousands of fans and well guarded by Sue Rostoni and professional writers like Troy Denning or Aaron Allston.

If Avellone and his gang were so incredibly lazy that they couldn't study few thin comics when developing KOTOR, they would never read all those thick novels about NR Era. Sorry but these guys just don't feel Star Wars.

Well, we can't take credit for K1, we didn't develop it. (...)

I think Nur Ab Sal had some sort of black-out. By "Avellone & Co." he obviously meant Bioware.

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

I always thought it would be cool to make a Role playing game, like KOTOR, but make it the time frame of the first 3 movie trilogies, and u take the role as luke skywalker....but check it out.....anything goes this time.....u can join Vader on Bespin and try to take out the emperor, or u can do it the way luke did it, until the end of ROTJ and then kill vader and become the Sith apprentice....and etc. and have detailed movie cutscenes and etc. after u beat the game and etc. that would be interesting....

and maybe to add more to it, it will continue for a little while after ROTJ, and u could travel around as Sith Apprentice, or restart the academy urself on Yavin if u take the light side route....

I am a friend of Aaron Allston and he was able to give me some much-needed advice on what material to research when starting K2, which he didn't have to do with his busy schedule, and I appreciated.

Next time you talk to him, tell him I'm a big fan of his stuff and look forward to reading his part in the upcoming 9-book post-NJO series. :)

While I did not come up with the concept for the New Republic game, I will defend it. I think it could be a lot of fun.

I hope that with Fergus mentioning it, and you commenting on it, that means that hopefully down the road, Obsidian might be doing a KOTNR. I think that'd be a lot of fun, and contrary to people saying it would limit the developers' freedom, with regards to adhering to SW EU continuity, I believe that's false if the game were set much the same way KOTOR is set, that being hundreds (or in KOTOR's case, thousands) of years away from the existing material.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I am a friend of Aaron Allston and he was able to give me some much-needed advice on what material to research when starting K2, which he didn't have to do with his busy schedule, and I appreciated.

Next time you talk to him, tell him I'm a big fan of his stuff and look forward to reading his part in the upcoming 9-book post-NJO series. :shifty:

I hope that with Fergus mentioning it, and you commenting on it, that means that hopefully down the road, Obsidian might be doing a KOTNR. I think that'd be a lot of fun, and contrary to people saying it would limit the developers' freedom, with regards to adhering to SW EU continuity, I believe that's false if the game were set much the same way KOTOR is set, that being hundreds (or in KOTOR's case, thousands) of years away from the existing material.

In other words it seems like Obsidian is up to it. But the final word still rests at Lucasarts.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I dont see why they wouldnt want them to do it.

I'm talking about strategic reasons here, "when is the market in need of another Star Wars RPG other than KotOR?"

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Developing a post-RotJ Knights is a difficult idea to do right. If the devs choose to follow the EU novels and comics they'd use to some degree the Imperial Remnant, maybe the Hutt Syndicate or groups similar to that. Since the Sith of this time follow the One Master/Disciple doctrine of Darth Bane, there would be a shortage evenly matched opponents for the Jedi to counter Lightsabers and Force Powers. I'm not sure how powerful Dathomirian Force Witches are in this regard but I doubt they'd make good main villains. They would either have to circumvent this by ignoring the doctrine to create Sith opponents, as the Jedi Knight games have done, or use the Yuuzhan Vong should they remain completely faithful.

Considering how a lot of people really don't like the NJO, the Vong idea would not be a smart move in my opinion. Personally everything about the Vong was one of the things I most hated about the NJO series. No offense to ShadowFaxIV and people that liked the series or the Vong as a concept.

The only way I really could see a Knights of the New Republic working would be to make it 1000s of years after RotJ, this way they can pretty much come up with everything that's going on. They'd have even more freedom to create than the devs making KotOR games since that far ahead hasn't even been tapped into. Plus it allows for EU enthusiasts to not have their timelines messed with.

As for an enemy, I don't mind continuing to fight the Sith at all. To me the Sith are the counterparts of the Jedi, especially if the Sith were set up more like the Jedi and less like the Empire. You can have an Empire-like enemy also to balance the enemies with blasters while the Sith are more Jedi-like opponents. Maybe they're not even working together and you're fighting multiple groups for different reasons.

Anyway my two cents :p

Don't have any Sith, just replace them with a bunch of Dark Jedi.

Ah this is just my opinion, but to me the concept of a "Dark Jedi" is a contradiction which I disagree with.

As I understand it (Following the movies) the Jedi use the Force to seek knowledge about life and the universe, and "worship" the LS in a religious-like way. The Jedi don't study the DS, in fact they do everything to avoid even exposure to emotions that they consider could lead down the dark path.

The Sith meanwhile study the DS in the same way the Jedi study the LS. They are the ying-yang of the SW universe. When a Jedi "falls" they are corrupted by the lure of the DS and they explore this aspect of it which comes from Sith teachings. All Jedi who have fallen in the movies are Sith, even those that where Jedi before. Some argue that the only way to be a Sith is to be taught by a Sith, but the ancient Jedi who defied their Masters and studied the Sith teachings did this by themselves, no Sith Master to teach them. When the Jedi goes bad to me they become Sith because they explore the nature of the Force the Sith explores.

Also if a Sith were to become redeemed would you call them a "Light Sith", I don't think so. I really hate the term Dark Jedi, I think it's a huge contradiction. Even in the game those called Dark Jedi where just Sith, heck those guys where never Jedi to begin with as they never became part of the Order, unless every single one was a former Jedi that followed Revan to the Mandalorian Wars and I doubt that.

I know many will disagree with how I see it (He, he Nur :p ) and that's ok, this is just my pov. But that's how I always got it and I like the Sith anyway. No one seems to get tired of the Empire, why do people think the Sith should be replaced I think they're way cooler villains than the Empire? But whatever, my pov doesn't make a difference anyway. If the devs put a bunch of DS using lightsaber wielding villains and calls them Jedi I'll still be interested very much in the game, I'll cringe every time I hear them called that just like in KotOR 2, but I'm fine with it...as long as there's no Vong I'm happy...

Ah this is just my opinion, but to me the concept of a "Dark Jedi" is a contradiction which I disagree with.

As I understand it (Following the movies) the Jedi use the Force to seek knowledge about life and the universe, and "worship" the LS in a religious-like way. The Jedi don't study the DS, in fact they do everything to avoid even exposure to emotions that they consider could lead down the dark path.

The Sith meanwhile study the DS in the same way the Jedi study the LS. They are the ying-yang of the SW universe. When a Jedi "falls" they are corrupted by the lure of the DS and they explore this aspect of it which comes from Sith teachings. All Jedi who have fallen in the movies are Sith, even those that where Jedi before. Some argue that the only way to be a Sith is to be taught by a Sith, but the ancient Jedi who defied their Masters and studied the Sith teachings did this by themselves, no Sith Master to teach them. When the Jedi goes bad to me they become Sith because they explore the nature of the Force the Sith explores.

Also if a Sith were to become redeemed would you call them a "Light Sith", I don't think so. I really hate the term Dark Jedi, I think it's a huge contradiction. Even in the game those called Dark Jedi where just Sith, heck those guys where never Jedi to begin with as they never became part of the Order, unless every single one was a former Jedi that followed Revan to the Mandalorian Wars and I doubt that.

I know many will disagree with how I see it (He, he Nur :) ) and that's ok, this is just my pov. But that's how I always got it and I like the Sith anyway. No one seems to get tired of the Empire, why do people think the Sith should be replaced I think they're way cooler villains than the Empire? But whatever, my pov doesn't make a difference anyway. If the devs put a bunch of DS using lightsaber wielding villains and calls them Jedi I'll still be interested very much in the game, I'll cringe every time I hear them called that just like in KotOR 2, but I'm fine with it...as long as there's no Vong I'm happy...

Good points. :p

Well, as there can only be 2 Sith at any one time, any other followers of the dark side are Dark Jedi, because unless they are one of the 2, they can't be called Sith.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Usually the character you manage to redeem were usually Jedi.

I think the Sith rule of the two sucks.

Also I think that you have to have Sith trainning to be a Sith, otherwise you are Dark Force user (call Dark Jedi or however).

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

I'm not sayin' that DS is more powerful. BUT it is supposed to be the quick path. Being a Darksider means that you can use the Force for offence thus making the battles easier also you can "persuade" some people to help you. Whereas if you play the game as a Lightsider you need to put more effort to it.

I think that such thing did hold up to a certain extend in KOTOR.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom