The Village

kumquatq3

I just thought it was kinda neat since I guessed the story as we were walking in to the theater. I just casually said to my friends as we sat down that "They'll probably walk out of the forest and find New York City on the other side." Sure, I got the city wrong but that really would be creepy now wouldn't it.

I liked it as well.

A lady behind me immediately said "well that was stupid" or something to that tune as the credits began to roll. I'm mostly hearing people make the comment that it was not a horror movie, as they feel like the trailer expressed such. I think a lot of people are also turned off because they were able to guess how the movie would end, and this somehow removes all value from the film. I'm still not sure how they were able to guess everything that happened (from the very first scene), so I'll most likely be seeing it again :(.

Many professional reviewers seem unimpressed by the movie because they dislike the director, spending entire writeups discussing how slow-paced it is and how Shayamalan isn't Hitch****. One of the things that has irked me about the reviews that I've read is the mention of how an example of the movie's ridiculousness is the scene involving "magic rocks". Few seem to be able to figure out that she was merely attempting to imitate her father.

Few seem to be able to figure out that she was merely attempting to imitate her father.

Not that I dislike the scene, but how do the rocks relate to her father? I just thought she brought them to help give the guys with her courage

I noted the spoiler thing, you have no one to blame but yourself :(

When I think of spoilers, I think of the Death Star being blown up, not Darth Vader telling Luke he's his father. Sure I can't complain, but come on people.

Many professional reviewers seem unimpressed by the movie because they dislike the director, spending entire writeups discussing how slow-paced it is and how Shayamalan isn't Hitch****.  One of the things that has irked me about the reviews that I've read is the mention of how an example of the movie's ridiculousness is the scene involving "magic rocks".  Few seem to be able to figure out that she was merely attempting to imitate her father.

You can't say Hitch**** on this forum? Ain't that a ****. Someone must have been playing with their magic rocks.

Few seem to be able to figure out that she was merely attempting to imitate her father.

Not that I dislike the scene, but how do the rocks relate to her father? I just thought she brought them to help give the guys with her courage

Just like you said, her father used the costumes to instill fear, so she used the magic rocks to instill courage. Same tactics, different result.

- The acting and accents would slip. Maybe the accent thing was on purpose. Too much drag in the first half of the movie.

- Adrian Brody's character....eh. Used as one plot device too many.

This film really failed for me on three levels:

1. He missed a huge opportunity to draw a direct connection between the Village and organized religion. I appreciate his choice not to do this...but I wanted to see that hammered home so bad it distracted me from the rest of the movie.

2. The big plot twist. Those Elders are a freaky evil psycho cult! What was up with that security guard? Evil continues at the end of the film. Poor kids. They gonna get all inbred.

3. Second big opportunity missed - the experiment of the Village must necessarily fail because evil is not something you can keep out by building a wall. Evil (as personified innocently by the retard) exists *inside* man.

I walked into it knowing that Shyamalan would screw me over again...I'm just bummed he didn't scare me more before pissing me off.

After Unbreakable greatly disappointed me, I went in with an open mind. The film was alright, but there was too much foreshadowing, and the end hammered in the point repeatedly.

I don't like the message, and there was only one shocking moment of the movie for me. It sure wasn't the end.

I was not at all surprised when I saw this movie and hey, look at that, it's pretty terrible! The preview made this movie look fantastic, edgy and interesting. The actual result was far from that.

Just like signs :/

Like an above poster, I too was hoping for him to ram home the organised religion aspect as well. I have to concede he is easily the most over rated director around.

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

Signs was good because of the way all the pieces of the puzzle ended up coming together at the end. That really made the movie.

I think Shyamalan is a very talented director, I just don't want to see him turn into a one-trick pony.

The Village was weak not only from a writting stand point, but from a directorial stand-point as well.

The few tense, horror scenes were well-shot, but had little lead up, and little pay off. The ending (of which I refer to when the credits rolled since there wasn't an ending to speak of) went 10 minutes too long.