KOTOR using NWN2 engine...?

Would you buy a Star Wars game if it was built using the NWN2 engine and included a toolset for creating your own Star Wars mods?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a Star Wars game if it was built using the NWN2 engine and included a toolset for creating your own Star Wars mods?

• Yes
    • No

I wished Bioware had created the original KOTOR in this way. But, unfortunately I think they didn't because it was most likely originally intended for the XBox. But, I have heard of some plans for multi-player games that will be able to support console gamers and computer gamers joining each other on the same servers. I think this would be fantastic. It is also totally possible.

A toolset might be nice for those who mod, but that's not me. However, I'm not against one for other people to use since I'm all for downloading mods that others have made.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

A toolset might be nice for those who mod, but that's not me.  However, I'm not against one for other people to use since I'm all for downloading mods that others have made.

Well, even Neverwinter Nights came with an official campaign when it was released. But, there was a lot of replay ability due to player created mods that were free to download. It's the best of both worlds because not only does everyone have a new game to play, they also have the ability to create their own.

still dont understand how a game that comes out in 2k6 has such a better and larger forum then TSL..*grumble grumble* <_<

I think NWN has created a huge following because of all the custom content and creativity that it allows. I ran a persistant world server using NWN that allowed up to 30 people to log in and play at the same time. There was a lot of adventuring, role playing, player vs player duels, and much more. When things were going good, I would add new content and places to explore almost weekly. When we didn't have new content or quests we would have PvP tournaments and offer prizes to the winners. It's a lot of fun. I just wish I could do the same with a Star Wars game.

Btw, players on my server also had their own homes installed that they could design themselves. Imagine having your little jedi hovel hidden in some forest someplace that you designed and decorated yourself. :huh:

Edited by Ecrir Twy'Lar

The only thing I can think of that they wouldn't like about this idea is that they may lose some sort of control over things being created.  But, they already allow a d20 Star Wars RPG.  I don't see what the difference would be.

There are other games from LA that are moddable. I think it has something to see with the xbox too. They want the same product on both platforms. This has been discussed various times in the past:

See these posts per example: http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?sh...indpost&p=25967 and http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?sh...indpost&p=19954

About the format, we have this info: http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=1564&hl=

I don't have a problem with the devs not releasing a toolset: it is time and $ and we can make our own tools. Kotor 1 tools are getting better every day but there is still a lot to do. What would be nice and helpful, would be to have some documentation or information, even very informal, such as on the model format.

still dont understand how a game that comes out in 2k6 has such a better and larger forum then TSL..*grumble grumble* <_<

I think NWN has created a huge following because of all the custom content and creativity that it allows. I ran a persistant world server using NWN that allowed up to 30 people to log in and play at the same time. There was a lot of adventuring, role playing, player vs player duels, and much more. When things were going good, I would add new content and places to explore almost weekly. When we didn't have new content or quests we would have PvP tournaments and offer prizes to the winners. It's a lot of fun. I just wish I could do the same with a Star Wars game.

Btw, players on my server also had their own homes installed that they could design themselves. Imagine having your little jedi hovel hidden in some forest someplace that you designed and decorated yourself. :huh:

WLle then design a NEW engine for KOTOR 3 jsut add tiddbits of NWN but dont go aroudn modleign a Starwars engine that works adn is oproven around another game's

The only thing I can think of that they wouldn't like about this idea is that they may lose some sort of control over things being created.  But, they already allow a d20 Star Wars RPG.  I don't see what the difference would be.

There are other games from LA that are moddable. I think it has something to see with the xbox too. They want the same product on both platforms. This has been discussed various times in the past:

See these posts per example: http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?sh...indpost&p=25967 and http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?sh...indpost&p=19954

About the format, we have this info: http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=1564&hl=

I don't have a problem with the devs not releasing a toolset: it is time and $ and we can make our own tools. Kotor 1 tools are getting better every day but there is still a lot to do. What would be nice and helpful, would be to have some documentation or information, even very informal, such as on the model format.

I don't have a problem with KOTOR being release the way they plan for it to be released. But, there is no reason why a Star Wars game can't be release like I described above. Star Wars Galaxies isn't available on the Xbox... I'm sure there are other Star Wars games that came out on the PC only or the Xbox only. There is also no reason why they can't build a game that is available on both xbox and PC which has a toolset shipped with the PC version.

I don't really know what your talking about as far as KOTOR 1 tools. I'm guessing your talking about people making mods for it. This isn't at all what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a full on toolset with scripting abilities and such like the Aurora toolset for NWN. I can't imagine someone creating entire new cities using some sort of mod tool created for KOTOR 1.

I think NWN has created a huge following because of all the custom content and creativity that it allows.  I ran a persistant world server using NWN that allowed up to 30 people to log in and play at the same time.  There was a lot of adventuring, role playing, player vs player duels, and much more.  When things were going good, I would add new content and places to explore almost weekly.  When we didn't have new content or quests we would have PvP tournaments and offer prizes to the winners.  It's a lot of fun.  I just wish I could do the same with a Star Wars game.

Btw, players on my server also had their own homes installed that they could design themselves.  Imagine having your little jedi hovel hidden in some forest someplace that you designed and decorated yourself.  :huh:

That might be one of the reasons why Lucasarts hasn't allowed either developer to include a similar toolset to NWN. The fact that NWN can be played online and among more than 1 person is something I don't think LA wants KOTOR to be.

Although I wouldn't mind some single player campaigns made by modders, Lucasarts probably doesn't want that kind of thing.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

WLle then design a NEW engine for KOTOR 3 jsut add tiddbits of NWN but dont go aroudn modleign a Starwars engine that works adn is oproven around another game's

Well, the problem with that is the limitations of the KOTOR engine. The NWN engine and toolset is already made. It wouldn't be hard to convert it to a Star Wars game.

Btw, I'm not trying to take KOTOR away from you guys. What I'm suggesting is another game. I just wanted to see how many people here would be interested in it.

Though maybe Lucasarts would not like the idea.

What is their stance on this issue?

The only thing I can think of that they wouldn't like about this idea is that they may lose some sort of control over things being created. But, they already allow a d20 Star Wars RPG. I don't see what the difference would be.

I'd guess that most of the people voting no have never played a NWN mod or created one using the toolset. It's somewhat hard to get people excited about something they don't understand. Basically the adventures you can create using the toolset and scripting language are almost limitless.

I don't have a problem with KOTOR being release the way they plan for it to be released.  But, there is no reason why a Star Wars game can't be release like I described above.  Star Wars Galaxies isn't available on the Xbox...  I'm sure there are other Star Wars games that came out on the PC only or the Xbox only.  There is also no reason why they can't build a game that is available on both xbox and PC which has a toolset shipped with the PC version.

I don't really know what your talking about as far as KOTOR 1 tools.  I'm guessing your talking about people making mods for it.  This isn't at all what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about a full on toolset with scripting abilities and such like the Aurora toolset for NWN.  I can't imagine someone creating entire new cities using some sort of mod tool created for KOTOR 1.

Sure, a toolset would be nice but they won't make one. This has been pretty clear. As for those tools I was talking about, you will find them here.

Personally I really dislike the tile-based games.  They are quicker and easier to make, but the generic feel kinda ruins it for me sometimes.

There's a game coming out that I believe uses the NWN engine, and looks really nice despite being tilebased. Tile based does not necessarily mean NWN style. If someone can remember the name of that game for me I would really appreciate it. I think it had "witch" in it or something like that.

I'd guess that most of the people voting no have never played a NWN mod or created one using the toolset. It's somewhat hard to get people excited about something they don't understand. Basically the adventures you can create using the toolset and scripting language are almost limitless

Or they have played them. The vast majority of those mods suck ass. And for joe-schmoe user, using the toolset is not exactly great fun.

Sure the adventures you can create are almost limitless....unfortunately most the people out there cannot design a module worth crap.

I don't use the toolset or anything but I've tried some user mods, and even the two official contest-winning bridge modules didn't really work. They had bugs, and were pretty lame. The pw's I've tried might be rewarding, but only if you put 60 hours in to get to the point where you can enjoy them. The quality just isn't there, and it's not worth the loss of the detail and personality of non tile-based environs at least for me.

Personally I really dislike the tile-based games.  They are quicker and easier to make, but the generic feel kinda ruins it for me sometimes.

There's a game coming out that I believe uses the NWN engine, and looks really nice despite being tilebased. Tile based does not necessarily mean NWN style. If someone can remember the name of that game for me I would really appreciate it. I think it had "witch" in it or something like that.

I'd guess that most of the people voting no have never played a NWN mod or created one using the toolset. It's somewhat hard to get people excited about something they don't understand. Basically the adventures you can create using the toolset and scripting language are almost limitless

Or they have played them. The vast majority of those mods suck ass. And for joe-schmoe user, using the toolset is not exactly great fun.

Sure the adventures you can create are almost limitless....unfortunately most the people out there cannot design a module worth crap.

I believe the "Witch" game your talking about is "The Witches Wake". It's an "official" Neverwinter Nights mod. So for all purposes it IS Neverwinter Nights.

As far as the majority of the downloadable mods "sucking ass"... You may be right. But when you have thousands of people building them, of course you will get some crap. If you want to play a quality one, then you should to to a web site that rates them according to quality and download a good one. If you ask me, there are mods out there that are better than the official Neverwinter Nights campaign game.

I don't have a problem with KOTOR being release the way they plan for it to be released.  But, there is no reason why a Star Wars game can't be release like I described above.  Star Wars Galaxies isn't available on the Xbox...  I'm sure there are other Star Wars games that came out on the PC only or the Xbox only.  There is also no reason why they can't build a game that is available on both xbox and PC which has a toolset shipped with the PC version.

I don't really know what your talking about as far as KOTOR 1 tools.  I'm guessing your talking about people making mods for it.  This isn't at all what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about a full on toolset with scripting abilities and such like the Aurora toolset for NWN.  I can't imagine someone creating entire new cities using some sort of mod tool created for KOTOR 1.

Sure, a toolset would be nice but they won't make one. This has been pretty clear. As for those tools I was talking about, you will find them here.

I think your misunderstanding me. I looked at those tools. They appear to be all stuff for editing and bascially Haking current content in KOTOR. I'm not asking for ways to modify KOTOR. I can see though that I posted this thread in the wrong forums. I should have posted them in the NWN forums. I just thought there was some Star Wars fans in here that could appreciate my interest in a more powerful Star Wars gaming tool. KOTOR is a single player "console" game. It doesn't have the possibility of doing what I am describing here.

umm how can kotor use nwn2 engine if its still in developent i mean that would of delayed kotor for another 3 years. waiting 3 years was boring enough but another 3 years no way.

Only reason why kotor was limtied to what it can do is aka xbox is not as great as teh pc. if it ment for PC only the would be longer and better graphics