Who owns the mid atlantic ridge?

Guybrush

Any idea who owns the mid atlantic ridge? as the atlantic grows pushing the west coast of America into the Earths mantle, and new land is formed in the middle of the atlantic, who will get first dibs on the islands that form?

Addition: I realise this is looking a wee bit into the future, (well a lot) but America wont be there forever (its a matter or geology), so have they (the USA) made steps to claim ownership of the entire techtonic plate or could another country claime all the land being created, and thus oneday own the whole of the North American plate?

It is no mans land, and I doubt anybody could easily claim it.

As far as I remember, there are regulations that give each state the same rights on both the high sea (water above ground) and the area (subsoil, seabed and ocean floor which is considered "common heritage" of mankind). There is a special organisation - the ISBA (International Seabed Authority) that is open to all states regulating the rules and conditions regarding the area - I'd guess there is a similar organisation for the rules regarding the high sea.

-Mnemon

i didn't think there was that much above water yet... bermuda maybe?

taks

I've got this piece of real estate for sale in the Bermuda Triangle. Go get it before it disappears <_>

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The volcanic activity that forms the mid-ocean ridges is a slow release of pressure. It would have to change in character dramatically to gain enough height to break sea level. The only place it is above ground (in the Atlantic, that is) is in Iceland.

If a new island forms, the right to claim newly discovered land is traditionally inherent in national sovereignty (nations may do it, but individuals cannot). Nobody has claimed Antarctica because the major powers of the world have signed an international treaty agreeing not to claim it (and, presumably, to prevent anyone else from trying).

Anyhow, given that the rate of spread is measured in cm/year, I don't think America has anything to worry about. 1000 years from now, they'll be maybe 100 feet further away from Europe.

And 100 feet thinner i might add.

and im pretty sure there are islands along the mid atlantic ridge (the Azores?), but moving the topic along, does anyone in America worry about if the Yellowstone park hot spot errupts and causes a toxic cloud that would possibly wipe all life from the middle of the American continent?

it would scare the hell out of me, for a country that would suffer most from nature id think America would worry more about banning plastic bags, capping their powerstations and signing the Kyoto agreement. Oh well im sure when things get worse then the richest country in the world will get the idea.

Any idea who owns the mid atlantic ridge? as the atlantic grows pushing the west coast of America into the Earths mantle, and new land is formed in the middle of the atlantic, who will get first dibs on the islands that form?

Addition: I realise this is looking a wee bit into the future, (well a lot) but America wont be there forever (its a matter or geology), so have they (the USA) made steps to claim ownership of the entire techtonic plate or could another country claime all the land being created, and thus oneday own the whole of the North American plate?

You can have it if you like! Come round a week next thursday and you can take it away gift wrapped for the low, low price of $999.99 (while stocks last)

There is no returns policy, warranty or other such protection. Actual merchandise might differ from the one advertised

does anyone in America worry about if the Yellowstone park hot spot errupts and causes a toxic cloud that would possibly wipe all life from the middle of the American continent?

Are you referring to the "Super volcano" that actually exists under Yellowstone? If that thing blows, kiss most of the world goodbye, not just the US.

and signing the Kyoto agreement. Oh well im sure when things get worse then the richest country in the world will get the idea.

The Kyoto agreement, as is, is a joke. It basically will just end up having "rich" countries give money to poor countires without much reduction in pollution. For once I agree with Bush.

I agree. The Kyoto drivel violates too many aspects of the US Constitution.

You Europeans and east Asians may have centuries of experience with totalitarian, monarchial rule where-in you simply just got used to doing whatever the noble class told you to do, but not the US. The reason why we are here in the US is because our ancestors didn't care for you form(s) of government, why should we bow down to them now?

If you think Kerry is hoorah for it all, guess again. Should he be elected next month, don't expect the US to suddenly warm up to the agreement as it was last presented. It won't happen.

As for "Who owns the new land..." question. Who would want it? It would be centuries before any island created by sudden volcanic activities in the mid-atlantic would be habitable. Do we know what countries will exist at that time? Do we know if WE will exist at that time? Under current international law, no one would be allowed to lay claim to it. Instead, there would be a lot of mumbling over who should get it. I for one think that all of those people in the US who have nothing good to say about it should be shipped there. Especially the recent immigrants.

I agree.  The Kyoto drivel violates too many aspects of the US Constitution. 

You Europeans and east Asians may have centuries of experience with totalitarian, monarchial rule where-in you simply just got used to doing whatever the noble class told you to do, but not the US.  The reason why we are here in the US is because our ancestors didn't care for you form(s) of government, why should we bow down to them now? 

*The views of this person arn't nessasarily the views of his fellow Americans

I just don't think treaty is smart for the economy or the enviroment. If there is a clause in it that enslaves Americans, I missed it :p