Any BG3 news?

Nightblade

I can't find any BG3 threads

Actually:

One.

Two.

Three

Is there any BG3 news? I heard it was going to be a 3D game, that had nothing to do with the half-finished TBH project. Who is the developer?

Reports suggest that it might be 3D.

It does NOT have anything to do with The Black Hound.

No developer announced yet.

"Reports suggest that it might be 3D."

90.47% chance, actually.

"It does NOT have anything to do with The Black Hound."

Good. I much prefer it has to do with The Orange Cat, myself.

"No developer announced yet."

Lots of rumours, myths, and innuendos.

Let's have a fun look at the usual suspects.

1. BIO is wishy-washy with lots of mixed signals. They wanna break from D&D; but they are always careful to say "we're not dveloping it at the moment" and the last interview they played dumb when the subject of BG3 came up.

2. At one point, Troika seemed a possible pick. However, thir last interview kinda makes it sound unlikely sicne they mostly dicussed picthing games to publishers. Doesn't sound like someone who is lined up to make BG3.

3. Obsidan has been eerily quiet on the subject which,on the surface, makes them likely. However, they already are finishing up KOTOR, got a big time sequel with NWN2 on their plate plus I think after two major sequels, they'd like to make their own game. Feargus also tlakes about wnating to make IWD3 (slam dunk!) so that could mean anything. Maybe, they'll make PST2 just so they can do a combo bakc with 3D versions of the 3 IE games. Hahaha.

I think, ultimately, it'll be eitehr BIO or or some "unknwon/unexpected" company.

% wise:

BIO - 30%

Unknown - 40%

Obsidian - 25 %

Troika - 5%

P.S. This post is nonsense.

Next. :angry:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Add Stormfront 10%, as they have a good working relationship with Atari this is also a possability.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

oh yes... that saved me the first time when i though was going to die in that dungeon in PoR:RoMD. you know which dungeon i mean, the boring one... :(

taks

comrade taks... just because.

3D is an educated guess since there are almost no isometric games being produced anymore. At least not among the large, well-known titles.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Throw Bethesda into the rumor mill. They ended up with Fallout 3, and if it's really going 3D, they've got the engines. I don't know why they'd do that though, they have a pretty solid license in TES. But I was shocked they took Fallout also.

How could anyone "know" that it's 3D, when no developer is announced yet. I mean, isn't it usually a developer's job to decide if a game is 3D or not ?  :(

On a PC Gamer interview, John Hight, Atari Executive Producer and NWN2 Forum Lurker Extraordinaire, indicated that Atari wasn't "afraid to move the camera for cinematic effect". More about that article here.

I'd say its very likely that this hints at 3D. After all zinematik immurshun is teh futchor!!!

yea, that quote reminded me of NWN. It could easily be an over the shoulder 3D, where you can adjust the camera. I didn

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

How could anyone "know" that it's 3D, when no developer is announced yet. I mean, isn't it usually a developer's job to decide if a game is 3D or not ?  ;)

i believe the new blurb that was released said it WAS 3D... not just an educated guess then.

taks

I really hope to see more isometric/bird's eye view CRPG games like with the BG & IWD series. I don't want 1st person perspective or huge characters on the screen.

If BG3 ever happens, I hope it looks recognizably like the prior games, just with superior graphics and more detail.

Bioware's "unknown PC title" was an IP, I thought. As in not a licensed game. Considering that they even mention it, it seems unlikely that they would hide the *other*, licensed PC game.

I was sort of partial to the isometric RPG's, but it's gotten to the point (as evidenced by TOEE, I would think) where it's not all that practical to keep improving the graphics along those lines. I couldn't say why. I still think they could do locked-camera isometric, though.

And I'll be surprised if anyone pulls off a proper BG3. Because, well... it always felt like the story sort of died (at SoA, for me - I didn't care for ToB plotline much at all - couldn't they think of an original story to put with the claiming heritage as a theme?). I would like it if it were made in the spirit of BG1 with lots of character interaction and such.

*sigh*... here we go again...

ok, any BG3 would NOT be following the old bhaal line. it's done and has been stated as so many, many, many, many times. that said, just because a game has a sequel number does not mean it logically follows the previous incarnations. the world is rife with stories that have nothing to do with their predecessors, other than their name. furthermore, why should it be assumed the city of baldur's gate ONLY had the bhaal thing in it's history? pretty busy area, balduran himself was pretty famous... certainly a "3" could mean nothing more than "the 3rd episode of the city's history"?

taks

*sigh*... here we go again...

Pfft.

ok, any BG3 would NOT be following the old bhaal line. it's done and has been stated as so many, many, many, many times. that said, just because a game has a sequel number does not mean it logically follows the previous incarnations.

O rly?

Is it not, in fact, the exact opposite? You know, along the lines of: a numerical sequel number infers a product is a direct sequel to the installments that came before it and logically contains large segments of commonality.

the world is rife with stories that have nothing to do with their predecessors, other than their name.

And?

furthermore, why should it be assumed the city of baldur's gate ONLY had the bhaal thing in it's history? pretty busy area, balduran himself was pretty famous...

Are you getting to a point? Or did you just feel like typing?

(They're nice straw-man though. Way to go.)

certainly a "3" could mean nothing more than "the 3rd episode of the city's history"?

Right, because the events of 'Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn' took place there too. Oh, what's that? They didn't?

"ok, any BG3 would NOT be following the old bhaal line."

Huh? Who said this? This isn't Jefferson. Don't go by what BIS was doing. We have no idea what the story will be in BG3.

Bhaalspawn story is only finish if Atari, and their chosen devloper says its finish. And, there are tons of ways to cotninue it. I'd also be sure that the Bhaalspawn Story will be involved in some way.

"I think BG fans hold on to the story a little to strongly compared to other franchises."

Um.. Kinda obvious why. It's like the main reason along with characters and fun combat being up there why BG series is one of the most popualr RPG series ever. It shouldn't be surprsing that Bg fans as a whole would want it to continue.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Um.. Kinda obvious why. It's like the main reason along with characters and fun combat being up there why BG series is one of the most popualr RPG series ever. It shouldn't be surprsing that Bg fans as a whole would want it to continue.

I understand your argument, while still not understanding why people feel that way. I think it

- Steven Erikson