Hemp: A miracle product

................................................................................

HEMP: A True Gift from God(ess)

Written by Dr. Heather Anne Harder

Hemp has the potential to be the best thing that has happened to American farmers in recent history. If only we can awaken the people to their political power. Hemp has four major uses, food, fiber, fuel and medicine. This one crop can provide the basics of life -- food, shelter, clothing and medicine. Industrial hemp has little in common with its cousin the "marijuana" plant. Hemp plant can be grown in most climates, requires little fertilizer and water and NO pesticides nor herbicides. De-regulating hemp production only makes sense.

Both Presidents Washington and Jefferson grew hemp. Americans were legally bound to grow hemp during Colonial times. The Federal government even subsidized hemp during WWII. In 1807 California produced 125,000 pounds of Hemp. 40% came from Santa Barbara.

Hemp is among the oldest industries on the planet, going back more than 10,000 years to the beginning of pottery. The oldest relic of human industry is a bit of hemp fabric dating back to approximately 8,000 B.C.

Hemp played a major role in the stabilization and economy of our nation for many decades. It wasn't until it became a threat to the natural resource companies back in the thirties did it first experience a ban on its growth. After all, hemp oil is clean, renewable, cheap, and clean while fossil fuels were limited, expensive and dirty. Those who stood to make a fortune in fossil fuels couldn't compete.

Also contributing to hemp bashing was William Randolph Hearst. Seems he had a huge financial interest in the timber market. It was his newspapers that spear-headed the hemp bashing in order to influence public opinion. Using the Mexican word for hemp, "marijuana," Hearst turned the public against hemp by playing on their fears and misled the public concerning the nature of hemp/marijuana. Until then people were comfortable with hemp-but this Mexican marijuana was a whole new ball game.

Hemp fell out of favor and was thus outlawed because of the combined attacks of a handful of these corporate giants, who put their own self interest above the best interests of this nation. These spin doctors together stifled the hemp production in this country. Now we must re-examine the facts and search our hearts for truth. Then we must take action. Only by working together can we break the corporate/financial hold that still controls Capital Hill.

Hemp provides low cost high quality food. Hemp seed can be used for both people and animal food. It is high in many nutrients including protein. Hemp contains all of the essential amino acids and essential fatty acids necessary to maintain healthy human life. Hemp can be made into snack bars, cookies, burgers, and porridge or can be roasted and eaten alone. No other single plant source provides a complete protein nutrition in such an easily digestible form, nor has the oils essential to life in as perfect ratio for human health and vitality. Hemp can be brewed with coffee or beer. Currently we import hemp seed from Canada. Now it is time to create domestic hemp seeds for our own use.

Hemp is good medicine. Hemp has long been recognized for its medicinal qualities. Hemp relieves side effects or symptoms of glaucoma, AIDS, cancer chemotherapy, migraines, muscular dystrophy, PMS, asthma, and thousands of other medical conditions. From 1842 through 1890's a powerful concentrated extract of "marijuana" was the second most prescribed drug in the U.S. In all the medical literature written, none list any of the ill effects claimed by today's drug warriors.

Hemp has many non-food uses. Hemp is made into body care products, lamp lighting, printing, lubrications, household stain removers, varnishes, resins, and paint. Back in 1935, approximately 58,000 tons of hemp seed was used just to make non-toxic paint and varnish. When hemp was banned, these safe paints were replaced with toxic petro-chemical versions. In 1930 people did not know about poisoned rivers, or deadly landfills or children dying from chemicals in house paints.

Hemp is most known for its fiber. Hemp fiber is extremely versatile. Hemp fiber is known for its strength, length, durability, and its resistance to rot. Hemp fiber is also made into a wood-like composite which is twice as strong as wood. All hemp products are bio-degradable.

Hemp reduces our dependency on trees. Hemp is made into paper products as well. Using hemp can eliminate our dependence on trees. One acre of hemp produces the same amount of paper as four acres of trees, four times a year, at 1/4th the cost of wood pulp paper and with 1/5th the pollution. Hemp only takes a 90-100 days to mature for harvest, while most trees take 50 to 500 years. Hemp paper can be recycled ten times, as opposed to three times for most tree-based paper. Hemp paper production can reduce waste-water contamination normally associated in paper production. Hemp production reduces the need for acids, and lends itself to environmentally friendly bleaching instead of harsh chlorine compounds. Hemp paper does not yellow with age and is acid free. 1,500 year old hemp paper has been found. Lucky for us our Constitution was written on hemp paper. Hemp crops would save thousands of acres of U.S. forests as well as forests around the world.

Hemp is good for the earth. Hemp anchors soil and protects it from run off. It preserves topsoil and subsoil structure as does forests. Hemp cultivation requires few chemicals. Hemp is easy to grow and actually restores and replenishes soil nutrients. Eco-friendly hemp can replace most toxic petro-chemical products. Research is being done to use hemp in manufacturing biodegradable plastic products. These products include plant based cellophane, recycled plastics, resins made from hemp seed oil, to name but a few. The most hazardous toxic waste comes from petro-chemicals and nuclear power. Hemp can safely, cleanly and completely replace them both.

Hemp is good for the American farmer and the community job market. The farmer and even the rural community has the most to gain from the restoration of the domestic hemp production. One acre of hemp produces 3-4 tons of biomass every 90-100 days. Because of hemp's bulkiness, local processing plants, weaving accommodations and other facilities are needed. This creates a new job market within the existing farm community. This in turn provides a tax base for these communities so that they no longer have to rely on taxing the farmers' land. The affordability and availability of hemp will create an unprecedented increase in local cottage industries. Everybody wins.

Hemp could end our dependency on fossil fuels. fossilfuels, such as natural gas, oil, and coal, are non renewable resources since they are the by-product of eons of natural decomposition of Earth's ancient biomass. Fossil fuel contains sulfur, which is the source of many of the aggravating environmental pollution problems threatening America. When burned the ancient carbon dioxide trapped in these fossil fuels are released and increase the effects of global warming and the greenhouse effect. On the other hand dried hemp biomass burns with virtually no ash or sulfur. Its growth removes carbon dioxide, which it releases when burned. The amount of carbon dioxide taken from the atmosphere equals the amount released thus it does not contribute to worsening the global warming or greenhouse effect.

According to Environmental chemist, Stanley E. Manahan, if we dedicated about 6% of continental U.S. land to hemp biomass cultivation could supply all current demands for oil and gas. This production would not add any net carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. Pyrolysis is the process of converting organic biomass into fuel similar to the process currently used to create charcoal. Hemp "charcoal" has the same heating value as coal, with virtually no sulfur to pollute the atmosphere. Hemp yields approximately 10 tons per acre in four months, is drought resistant and produces a heating value of 5,000-8,000 Btu/per pound of dried hemp. Hemp biomass can also be converted to methanol. Some car manufacturers have already indicated a willingness to make cars that would run on methanol fuel.

Hemp plants could replace all fossil fuels and their harmful by-products, reducing pollution. Using hemp cultivation for the new "energy farming" would create another cash crop for American farmers. Hemp is both beneficial for the American energy consumer, and good for the atmosphere. Hemp is the only crop capable of making America energy independent.

Only politicians and their campaign contributors stand in the way of such radical common sense. (Why do we continue to allow this subversion of our Constitution when their restrictions fly in the face of reason and the best interests of this nation?)

Hemp is good for the tax base of county, state and the federal government. A legally regulated hemp crop would yield billions of dollars in tax revenue. A new hemp industry would replace thousands of jobs being lost in the wood pulp industry and in other agricultural & industrial occupations.

If hemp were de-regulated and taxed at the same rate as pipe tobacco, over

Ambrosia3.gif

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=1985&st=0

I think you have been burning more than time.

Guess I pegged you right...

'JN, don't be f*cking moron. I rarely agree with PoC, and he really gets on my nerves with all his pseudo scientific beliefs, but he's right this time dammit. <shuders> I have to agree with him, it makes no sense not to legalize it. Even though I haven't even ever done a cigarrette, or had a even so much as a swig of beer; so I'm obviously no druggie, it makes not an ounce of sense not to legalize industrial hemp. It doesn't get you high, it has many uses, and the nation stands to gain greatly from it. Everyone who knows anything about William Randolph Hearst knows he was a liar and a glutton, he also started teh Spanish-American War with propaganda printed in his paper. And while everyone was in the depression, and he was still flush with cash, he had Hearst Castle built in South Cali, by literally importing pieces of castles from Europe and rebuilding them there. It even had a zoo for crissakes, with refridgerated cages for arctic animals. The guy was FUBAR. I'm posting this on Civilized Debate on the Tech forum I frequent right away.

They've started experimental crops of industrial hemp in Sweden, because some scientists claim that little weed has some great qualities. We'll see in a couple of years how good it is. At least here in Sweden.

And no, you can't smoke industrial hemp. Well, you can but it won't do anything to you.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

'JN, don't be f*cking moron.  I rarely agree with PoC, and he really gets on my nerves with all his pseudo scientific beliefs, but he's right this time dammit.  <shuders>  I have to agree with him, it makes no sense not to legalize it.  Even though I haven't even ever done a cigarrette, or had a even so much as a swig of beer; so I'm obviously no druggie, it makes not an ounce of sense not to legalize industrial hemp.  It doesn't get you high, it has many uses, and the nation stands to gain greatly from it.  Everyone who knows anything about William Randolph Hearst knows he was a liar and a glutton, he also started teh Spanish-American War with propaganda printed in his paper.  And while everyone was in the depression, and he was still flush with cash, he had Hearst Castle built in South Cali, by literally importing pieces of castles from Europe and rebuilding them there.  It even had a zoo for crissakes, with refridgerated cages for arctic animals.  The guy was FUBAR.  I'm posting this on Civilized Debate on the Tech forum I frequent right away.

Civilized debate? Don't be a dumbass. "Civilized" debate forums are for prissy, high strung teens that like to pretend they are above everyone else.

I didn't say anything about whether or not hemp should be legalized. I'm for legalizing a lot of things, including marijuana. It isn't that simple though. Go ask a cop. They get a ton of arrests related to drugs, which leads to more money and ultimately a better image for them. The expenses come from the prisons or whatever other "corrections" the government tries to use to straighten these people out.

That isn't the point here though. Do you think POTC knew any of this crap before he read this article? Hell no. Potheads (and those wishing they were potheads) love throwing this stuff around. Christ, his name even has POT in it. Either that or he watched too many episodes of Happy Days.

The problem with this threa dis not really the subject of hmp; but the labeling (yet again) of Amerikans as ignorant. Quiefrankyl, it's full of prejudice, bigotry, and hatred (yes, you can self hate as I self hate my "people" too, LOL).

If one wanted a serious, civil discussion you easily can have it without insulting an entire group of people. R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

What's funny is that there is no such thing as an Amerikan.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Also, I'm all for the legalization of industrial hemp, as it does have several practical uses.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

"What's funny is that there is no such thing as an Amerikan."

Oh, but there is. It's not my fault everyone else has forgotten how to spell such an easy word. ;)

Go back to Canadia, Frenchy!

;)

Never heard of Canadia. I know of Kanada do. Besdies, it's hard to 'go back somewhere" that you never actually left in the first place. ;)

Seriously, as for hemp (or any drug for that matter); I say legalize it. Why? if someone wants to use them I say go ahead. As long as it doens't hurt me peopel can do as they please just don't come crying to me if you take drugs, start to imagine I'm an alien out to eat your brains, and I am forced to shoot you in self defense. I won't listen to your crying then. :)

uh, maybe because the article is about hemp?

oh, and yes, kanadians are allowed to call us amerikans.

volourn is right, these topics always seem to be some sort of "america is stupid" theme. even if the laws against hem are unjust, it's certainly not because we are "stupid" or "ignorant." we have our foolish laws just as any other country does.

most of the country would probably favor opening up hemp production due to it's obvious (and many) potential benefits. however, no matter how you slice it, this issue is a political minefield an no politician actually expecting to get elected will ever support the idea. such is life.

i do think that calling hemp a solution to the nation's energy woes is pseudo-science at best, outright BS at worst.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

uh, maybe because the article is about hemp?

Okay...so an article about ice would go:

Ice is cool. Ice is made from water. Ice can be chewed.

It is very tasty. But people want to ban it. That's just mean.

Ice can also be clear. Ice can be cubed. Ice can be crushed.

Sometimes vendors put flavoring on it. It is very good.

Ice can cool your drink. Ice is in many places. Ice can be created by humans. Ice can be destroyed by humans. Ice is fun.

I like ice.

Ice can be refreshing. Ice can cool things down. Ice is in the North pole.

Sounds like a dumb@ss to me...but that's just me...

Maybe it's added in there for effect. Kind of like when the feminists finally got away with saying "vagina" on TV.

I guess so...i mean, it just sounds so...stupid...

Are you one of those who votes for the most handsome president too?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

"That isn't the point here though. Do you think POTC knew any of this crap before he read this article? Hell no. Potheads (and those wishing they were potheads) love throwing this stuff around. Christ, his name even has POT in it. Either that or he watched too many episodes of Happy Days."

Actually I have been involved in Hemp activist activeties for a number of years. And have known most of these facts for quite some time. Not to mention some of my friends run the biggest hemp activist event on the planet. And they forwarded me this essay. Which I may add is pretty good.

Even if I didn't know any of this. Who ****ing cares?! Only you! Its like you life goal to discredit and talk **** to me in every thread! lol-Your pathetic.

My name does not have pot in it. Thats the abbrev, not to mention the C at the end :lol: . Your quite the idiot JN. If my name means pot your name means Juvinile Nutcase.

I just thought the Doctor made a lot good points in her context, as well as has a Dr. in front of her name. I don't -_-

And volo what would you call Americas awareness about Hemp?! Knowledgable?! LOL! ok man... The only person so far sayin it disturbs them isnt even American! You! lol. It's not prejudice. It's the truth.

And wheelman.. lol. Funny the only thing you can remark about in this is they use the word hemp alot. You crack me up.

Ambrosia3.gif

And wheelman.. lol. Funny the only thing you can remark about in this is they use the word hemp alot.

Of course I read it, came out of it with alot more, but I'm not going to mention them, mainly because of some of these people on the boards...

*Shudders*

Sorry that was the only thing I remarked about, it's just that with my experience of doctors, they don't speak like that...