Samurai RPG

EnderAndrew

In all seriousness, I am quite shocked that there hasn't been a major feudal Japanese RPG.

Japanese console RPG makers have focused on Samurai's in space, or Mech-battle RPGs, but not even Sqauresoft has put out a Samurai RPG.

I think the potential for such a title is huge, and I'd really like to see Obsidian take a stab at the genre in a future project. If possible, take a look at the Legend of the Five Rings license.

My not so secret wish is an ancient american setting, but after that, anything that does not involve elves or magic will be a welcome theme.

Feudal Japan, Ehh... all I know about that is from old Kurosawa movies (that guy is a genius).

*Raise hand in support*

Yup, sounds like a good idea! B)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Legend of the Five Rings has a little magic in the setting. But there are very few Shugenja, and the focus is more on Samurai.

I think Feudal Japan is a great setting culture-wise as well. Sincerity is more important than honesty, and honor is paramount. I think one of the main reasons someone hasn't made a game like that is because of how restrictive it would be in certain areas.

Sure, your Samurai could kill peasants all day long. But the first time you sound off to your Daimyo, you're dead.

Legend of the Five Rings has a little magic in the setting. But there are very few Shugenja, and the focus is more on Samurai.

I think Feudal Japan is a great setting culture-wise as well. Sincerity is more important than honesty, and honor is paramount. I think one of the main reasons someone hasn't made a game like that is because of how restrictive it would be in certain areas.

Sure, your Samurai could kill peasants all day long. But the first time you sound off to your Daimyo, you're dead.

You don't seem familiar with the setting ;)

There's a lot of magic in L5R, they just try to downplay it.

(note: I've played the CCG since Imperial up to HE, and own the PnP in all it's forms so :p)

Wow...someone else who knows about L5R. I just spent 25 dollars on that today... Anyway, I'd jump right on as fast as I can, no matter what style it is. I'd actually kinda hope for a KOTOR or FF style... Oh, but they are making a new Japanese version of Dynasty Warriors...not quite as good as a real RPG though.

Buffy and Angel for me (because of the complete interchangability). I think it's probably the best rpg I've done out of D20 SW, Decipher's LOTR, and of course Buffy. I'm the director and the slayer. I did that because I figured I didn't want the players to get overpowered and fight over who gets the slayer. Besides, I thought I could force myself to roleplay better, even if it hurts my character.

I've been playing L5R since the the first PnP book was released. I also knew one of the developers (Ree Soesbee) personally. She also did the Warlord CCG.

There is magic in the world, but the plot and story seems to be more focused on politics between the Clans, and other than the Phoenix, most clans use Samurai primarily.

The Shugenja are quite powerful, but they seem less numerous.

I'm a lion player myself, but am branching out to mantis. I started around the Fall of Otison Uchi (spelling) and got more serious when diamond started.

Both are good solid clans (though I'm not as familiar with them in their 'current' form)

Back when I played I played Phoenix almost exclusively, though I tended to play them like a Scorpion. :ph34r:

I rarely play the card game. None of the hobby stores in Omaha sell anything L5R for some odd reason, so I can't find players. I used to play Crab and Shadowlands decks, but the Scorpions always interested me.

In the RPG, I enjoyed the Dragon clan the most, but also felt a strong draw to the Scorpion clan.

I like trying out every clan now and then, as I have starters for all but scorpion and crab. Diamond was a really good place to jump in. Basically, I'm good enough to prefer some areas, but not good enough that I seriously cripple myself playing anything other than my chosen stuff.

P.S. what did this Ree person do?

P.S. what did this Ree person do?

In my opinion messed up the storyline <_<

She's a good writer, and I like the gamebooks she wrote for L5R and 7th Sea... but I really didn't like the "direction" she took things when she was in charge of the story.

You're talking about one of my favorite people in the whole universe, but I do understand that not a whole lot of people were happy with her storylines.

I think writing for White Wolf, and spending too much time in the Cam affected her view of L5R.

However, there are near-perfect people in the world, and Ree is one of them. She's brilliant, gorgeous, funny, a great role-player, a good writer, a good sword-fighter, and absolutely adorable. She's also horribly private because of stalker issues she's had. Since I broke up with my fiance, and left California, I've never spoken with Ree since. I've spoken with her old boyfriend, but that's about it.