Real Time Combat

I was just thinking today that there are so many Star Wars games that have been released over the years and yet there is one thing that they have never gotten right; Jedi lightsaber combat. KOTOR did an amazing job of immersing you into the SW universe and Rougue leader captured space dogfighting excellently, but when it comes to the one thing that everyone thinks about when they think Star Wars, no one has done it right.

Now I know you might be thinking, what about the jedi knight series? Those were good games, I liked them, but when it comes down to it, a fps control scheme is far from ideal when using non-projectile weaponry. The controls in that series are not nearly as precise or as satisfying as say, Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry or any of a dozen other sword fighting, action games that use a strictly third person control scheme.

When I heard that Jade Empire was going to feature real time combat, I was both extremely psyched to play it and a little dissapointed that KOTOR, the game that paved the way for JE, was not going to benefit from this upgrade. Obviously it is too late now to implement something like this but I would like to hear what you guys think about the possibility of real time combat in future KOTORs. Would you prefer it to a more traditional rpg combat system? Would you like to see a new Star Wars action game?

I've been looking for some data on the EP 3 game. Pretty much all I can get is they're making it and Lucasarts people saying it's going to be good. I just hope it's not an EP 1 (the game the Phantom Menace) repeat. Actually, talking about saber combat, I think Jedi Power Battles did it pretty well. The game accomplished what it wanted to and overall did it well.

I have heard that the episode 3 game is supposed to have the most realistic saber combat ever. We will have to wait and see though.

They said, that the battles will be more like dance, than like real battles. We've seen real battle in the old trilogy, especialy Episode VI. I don't say the new aren't good, they're fantastic, but look too god to be real.

We've seen real battle in the old trilogy, especialy Episode VI. I don't say the new aren't good, they're fantastic, but look too god to be real.

How can you say that they look too good to be real? These are people who have been trained to manipulate the force in order to heighten their natural abilities. If you asked me, the combat in the movies has always seemed kind of sluggish and deliberate. This is especially true when you compare it to other current films like Spiderman, The Matrix, Crouching Tiger, or Blade. Think about it. In EP 1 we see Qui Gon and Obi-wan use super speed to run away from those powerful droids. They move so fast that they are a blurr! Where is this speed during combat?! You'd think that if they were capable of moving that fast, that the one time they would make sure to do it would be when locked in mortal combat. Instead the fighters seem like well trained martial artists, not like beings who are capable of superhuman performance.

We've seen real battle in the old trilogy, especialy Episode VI. I don't say the new aren't good, they're fantastic, but look too god to be real.

How can you say that they look too good to be real? These are people who have been trained to manipulate the force in order to heighten their natural abilities. If you asked me, the combat in the movies has always seemed kind of sluggish and deliberate. This is especially true when you compare it to other current films like Spiderman, The Matrix, Crouching Tiger, or Blade. Think about it. In EP 1 we see Qui Gon and Obi-wan use super speed to run away from those powerful droids. They move so fast that they are a blurr! Where is this speed during combat?! You'd think that if they were capable of moving that fast, that the one time they would make sure to do it would be when locked in mortal combat. Instead the fighters seem like well trained martial artists, not like beings who are capable of superhuman performance.

Maybe it takes more concentration, and in battle you would be more interested in judging your opponents next move, were to defend, were to strike, a weakness in his technique.........and as you will probably agree a hell of alot more demanding than simply running away! Anyway thats what I think ;)

Actually, talking about saber combat, I think Jedi Power Battles did it pretty well. The game accomplished what it wanted to and overall did it well.

Dont ever talk about that blight of a game called jedi Power Battles!!! If I could ask one thing it would be that the Episode III game is nothing like Jedi Power Battles. JPB was just too damn hard: getting all the upgrades was a **bleep**, the combos where to hard to pull off, the levels where a pain in the **bleep**. and all the **bleep** jumping **bleep**ed you up.

Was fun for the first level, but the rest sucked.

Anyway, Nick Gillard is going to help in the production of the game and he practically invented the lightsaber combat seen in Ep1, Ep2, and Ep3! So hopefully he can set them all stright on how a lightsaber duel is suppossed to look. And hopefully the game isn't just centered around duel but also the droids you get to destroy.... :rolleyes:

If it actually is as good as Lucas Arts is boasting then hopefully they will make KotOR III an action RPG and the lightsaber combat should look just like in that game......with maybe the added ability of choosing what sort of style(Like Anakins way of fighting, Dooku-curved hilt, etc.)

Anyway, dont consider this a flame. It is just that I bought Jedi Power battls expecting that it would be fun but it totally pissed me off...took me like a week to beat the 2nd level.......never even got to the level with the first Darth Maul encounter.

"Some people are always trying to iceskate uphill."

Blade(Wesley Snipes) from the movie Blade.

Edited for content

"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." - Sigmund Freud

Actually, talking about saber combat, I think Jedi Power Battles did it pretty well.  The game accomplished what it wanted to and overall did it well.

Dont ever talk about that blight of a game called jedi Power Battles!!! If I could ask one thing it would be that the Episode III game is nothing like Jedi Power Battles. JPB was just too damn hard: getting all the upgrades was a **bleep**, the combos where to hard to pull off, the levels where a pain in the **bleep**. and all the **bleep** jumping **bleep**ed you up.

I beat Jedi Power Battles in one day, and the combos were pretty easy to pull off (and looked cool too).

I used Qui-Gon the first time, and by the time I reached the end game he had a super sweet 12 or 13 hit combo that was a pleasure to watch everytime.

Hey, I admit the combos where awesome but I had the worse time trying to pull off Obiwan's backstab combo, it wasn't just this button, then this button, etc... The whole timing of the thing was messed up and I am glad u did well in the game. I on the other hand, had the worst time with it, I dont normally play games like it.....Perhaps you could tell me how to beat that POS game cause I need some revenge on that thing, seriously!

Edited for content

"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." - Sigmund Freud

In general, real time combat is much more preferable than turn based. But this decision depends on the engine available - Bioware had NWN and changing the combat mode to real time in the new engine would have been too much additional work. The same with K2.

Nik.

Took another stab at the game, I really suck but I think I may try to go through it again...I got Obi-Wans backstab and I figured out how to pull it off(originally I was hitting buttons to fast)....I got to the 3rd level this mornin, perhaps revenge will be mine!

Still...any hints would be nice.

Edited for content