4 cds roone dvd?

I would think the whole DVD idea would be better cost wise for the devlopers and for lucas arts because it would simply cost less to produce one dvd than 4 cds.

Are you sure about that?

Don't blank DVD's cost a whole lot more than blank CD's?

I am sure of that, you have to remember that the prices you are seeing are inflated due to atleast three reasons

1. New technology is always more exspensive than old technology.

2. everyone who touches the tech always increases the price.

3. companies who make cds and dvds movies or games buy thousands upon thousands of them so their price for making the game is considerably less then the general consumers price would be.

If I have answered you question by now please move onto the next post in the thread as what I have wrote below is merely an example to prove the point made above. While all the prices might no be correct it worked as an example when my professer gave to my econ class.

I heard it said once that the cost to make a music cd was around 25 cents. thats including everything that goes into the cd to make it ready for sale to the public (i.e. music, rights to the music, artisit cut, producers cut, etc.). A game cd would cost more probably around 30-40 cents (because of the developers time and energy that went into it, voice acters, advertising, etc.). A dvd costs around 50 cents to put a movie on it same reasons or atleast for some of the same ones anyway. Finally a dvd game since there isn't much to go on here but I would guess it would have the same price increase as from music cd to game cd meaning it would cost around 60-70 cents. Before you shoot it down because of the price of things in the store keep in mind when activision buys the cds for produceing its games they will buy millions of cd/dvds at one time.

Now having said that an average cd sells in canada for around $15-17 to start, and a DVD costs around $25-30. now I know that each person in the chain from producer to wholesaler to retail store (i think I might be missing one or two there) will increase the price to make at minimum a 100% profit per unit more than likely it will be around 300% meaning it wont take long to go from even say 25 cents per unit to $15 per unit.

25 cent cost x 300% = $1.00 selling price

$1.00 x 300% = $4.00

$4.00 x 300% = $16.00 Final sale price on shelves.

it doesn't take long to go from dirt cheep to what we see on the shelves. But getting back to a dvd costing less than four cds yes they would. given the example above a dvd would cost about double what a cd would cost to produce, but less than half of what a pack of four cds would cost to produce

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

By just using one DVD they can cram in movies in better quality, better sound and more little extras than on the four CD's they used the last time. One DVD can contain 6-7 CD's. They did this with Thief 3 and Deus Ex: Invisible War in Europe; the DVD-versions had better quality movies and sound.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If its strictly dvd.. i'll still be playing it.. just not PAYING FOR IT. Please, give me something i can use :p

Generally speaking MOST people do have a dvd player IF their computer is capable of dunning either of the two games. For those who don't then it doesn't become an issue of the cost of the dvd drive but how much you would use it once you got it. I have a home dvd player and one in my computer I very rarely use the one in my computer other than to access the dvd-rom features on the dvds I rent or purchase. I know dvd drives are costly but you will have to buy one sometime in the near future because soon the game producers will start making dvd only versions of the game and then you will HAVE to upgrde or miss out on games that you want to play... oh and by the way I would imagine that if the producers all start making dvd only games you will find the price of dvd drive to increase in price agian because the need is there for them to do so. But (there is always a but) maybe Lucas will make two different versions of the game one for cd only people and one for those of us who want dvds. Another thought is that if you would have to upgrade your computer to be able to play either game then the thought of buying a new computer that could play the game might not be a bad idea.

For those of you who said you can't afford to buy upgrades for one reason or another then you are looking at a slow death in the gamming world because as we all know technology doesn't stand still and you will be forced to upgrade sooner or later. So why not start setting money aside to upgrade as it is needed say by passing up on one or two games here or there till you have the money to purchase the upgrades your computer needs. because you can always purchase the games at a later date maybe even for less than you would have paid when the game first came out.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

Show me four pieces of plastic any day.

CDs have one thing DVDs don't, and wont for

quite some time-- sentimental value.

They've taken us through an entire decade, and that type of loyalty

runs deep, even to inanimate objects. I refuse

to abandon them in favor of new disks that lack soul

and have a more complicated acronym. B)