hitchhiker's guide, the 2005 movie.

Whitemithrandir

I've been following it for a while and I am panicking. It's an American-centric film with a rapper as Ford Prefect. Can it be any worse?

Yes ;)

Anyways, I thought they had originally cast the guy from The Office for that part

with a rapper as Ford Prefect. Can it be any worse?

If it makes you feel any better, Mos Def has been acting professionally a lot longer than he's been rapping.

That doesn't really, no.

The main reason I'm not positive about this film is that it's so American-centric. The book is so abundantlty British in it's language, tone, humour, etc. I mean, you can't read it without adopting some faux British accent in your head.

As an American film, I just can't see it working.

newlogo.gif

i cried when DA died 3 years ago...

taks

It was, and is, a great loss.

I saw Adams read when he was promoting Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (my copy is signed!), and it was tremendous. He of course read from Hitchhiker's, and his discussion was hilarious. He also read from The Meaning Of Liff which is a great "dictionary", too.

He was definately one of a kind.

Don't forget your towel.

newlogo.gif

with a rapper as Ford Prefect. Can it be any worse?

If it makes you feel any better, Mos Def has been acting professionally a lot longer than he's been rapping.

That doesn't really, no.

The main reason I'm not positive about this film is that it's so American-centric. The book is so abundantlty British in it's language, tone, humour, etc. I mean, you can't read it without adopting some faux British accent in your head.

As an American film, I just can't see it working.

O come now, how many British actors play American roles?

Hell, Batman Begins cast is almost entirely British. It's hard to find a more american film than that.

Besides, not that I care to see it or want to, but didn't people bit@h about the same thing when it can to Bridget Jones Diary ("she's the quintessential British women") and Renee "squinty" Zellweger (sp)? And by all accounts I remember, they ended up liking it.

The Office guy is playing Arthur. There are a few British actors, but mostly in smaller roles (Slartibartfast, Prosser, Vogon Captain). The big roles are Americans.

damn it, does anyone know when The Office and Spaced have their 3rd seasons?

O come now, how many British actors play American roles?

Hell, Batman Begins cast is almost entirely British. It's hard to find a more american film than that.

It's not that I care if a film in general is American or not, but HHGTG is so British that the American focus will simply not work.

As for Batman, it's Batman, and doesn't exactly have a national "stamp" to it. Gotham can just as easily be London as New York. Batman isn't filled with a certain quality or sense of humour that speaks of a certain nationality or perspective. It's pretty universal.

I think one could easily find a more American film than Batman...

newlogo.gif

Batman isn't filled with a certain quality or sense of humour that speaks of a certain nationality or perspective. It's pretty universal.

I think one could easily find a more American film than Batman...

You mean like a civil war drama? Say.....Cold Mountain? Which was also dominated by foreign cast members (tho Nicole was born in Hawaii)

But back to Batman, I can't think of many things that better show of American "core values" (that don't always come through) better than it's comics. It's close to being up there with apple pie and baseball.

I don't think it's going to suck, I think some of it may be good, but it's only going to vaguely echo Adams' book, and not be a solid and convincing interpretation. I really think it's going to lack the wit of the book (how many of the books are in this film, anyways? Is it just the first book, the first three, the whole thing?) and the humour won't be as sharp.

It'll probably look very good.

newlogo.gif

The BBC series was great, and wholly captured the character of the books. It was also based on the radio play, if I recall correctly.

What this new film will have is a budget, and so it'll look very nice. Of course, the low-budget look really suits the story.

My girlfriend just finished reading the whole series, so now she has to see the miniseries! I can't wait to see it again.

newlogo.gif

What?! They want to put a rapper as Ford? That's complete bull shard.

Btw, what other stories did they ruin.

:) :)

You want the entire *list*?

Anyway, I'm afraid this one's a lost cause... UNLESS they kept the friggin' narration. For the love of [your deity], it's half the humor!

I sure hope they keep the narration.

Last I heard the movie script is considerably different from the book, which is considerably different from the original radio drama.

However, the differences stem from Adam's own writing. He wrote the first draft of the movie script, which had some considerable changes from the book.

I'm withholding optimism, but I'm very curious about the movie.

And some **** stole my copy of Salmon of Doubt from a coffee-shop where I was reading it. I never did finish that book.

The Office guy is playing Arthur. There are a few British actors, but mostly in smaller roles (Slartibartfast, Prosser, Vogon Captain).  The big roles are Americans.

damn it, does anyone know when The Office and Spaced have their 3rd seasons?

The Office - Nevr. Gervais said the Christmas specials were it.

Spaced > Hopefully one day, but I'm not holding my breath now. Shaun of the Dead] took priority.

As for Mos Def playing Ford...eh, I don't really care how can an actor he is, the question is - is he really going to be convincing as someone pretending to be from Guildford? Or is that going to be changed? Arthur may have been a bit slow, but I can't see him being convinced that Mos Def comes from Guildford, but there you go. Otherwise, it could be good. I'm interested to see how Warwick Davis is going to play Marvin.