What would you prefer?

Would you prefer a game with a predefined character (like Kyle for example) ?

- Which ensures an easier method of making sequels.. And you could play a "real" SW figure, with a story that could be refered to in later comics, books, games etc.

Or a game with a character designed by you?

- it's easier to feel sympathy for such a character IMO. Which generally makes a more beliveable character you feel linked to .. but in the case of Revan it'll be quite difficult to appear in person in KOTOR2 with the 1000 different combinations possible. At least not without dissapointing someone who had a fixed image of him/her.

does the first hurt the roleplaying value of the game?

and does the second create too many problems for the EU, since it will be a faceless character?

what do you think?

- Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

Lots of customizability. For sequels, they can allow you to import a savegame so they know how your character was. And if you just play the sequel without having played the original, they could either use a preset or a random character.

I've never seen that function before (loading the save game into the new) .. has it ever been done? or are you just speculating? because I agree that would be very easy ..

Fortune favors the bald.

Throne of Bhaal does it in the one of the versions that includes both Bg2+ToB, its quite practical.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I would like to play as some well known character from EU like Quinlan Vos or Aayla Secura. And KOTOR customization is a myth since in the end it is revealed that you were Revan all the time, with all already established life story and reputation, hence all customization turns to be worthless.

Part of my disappointment with KOTOR was that I expected to play ordinary unknown jedi without accomplishments who's history will be written by me.

So I wasn't glad when devs surprised me with crappy amnesia-superman story.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

"Part of my disappointment with KOTOR was that I expected to play ordinary unknown jedi without accomplishments who's history will be written by me.

So I wasn't glad when devs surprised me with crappy amnesia-superman story."

Well then you will probably be happy with this new character? :) unless they pull another cliche and he/she turns out to be someone big as well! oh I hope not ..

Fortune favors the bald.

Yes you bet I am! I believe in Obsidian and that they'll make TSL superior to neverwinter-clone that was KOTOR. At last my PC will be some normal jedi guy

with problems, not unreliable superman with Thrawn's tactical genius...

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

Yes you bet I am! I believe in Obsidian and that they'll make TSL superior to neverwinter-clone that was KOTOR. At last my PC will be some normal jedi guy

with problems, not unreliable superman with Thrawn's tactical genius...

As much as it supprieses me, i agree with you. Dispite the fact i've grown really found of being Reven, i wasn't very happy when i found out who i was. Kind of rips that whole feeling of, being YOU out of the Char... cause you NOT you, you HIM...(if that makes since.)

I always wanted a game to work like this... bare with me here..

The game starts, you a baby... found to be force sincitive. This is where you name your Avatar, chosse a look, and a sex.

Flash ahead. your a young padwain, in training. Random jedi masters are working with you, training you, and asking you question that lead to detearming your Class, combat style, ect ect ect.

maybe you can pick an option to spend more time in saber training then force training and be a Guardian.

Maybe depending on how you answer, it'll effect your personally / alliginment. If your a punk, you start closer to netural dark, or if your respectful and such, you more of a light sider.

maybe, if different saber combat styles are avalible, you can choses a different master to teach you... or have a different master represend a different feat you start with... same with force powers.

the last stage of this sub quest could be you building your first light saber, that way you can make either a single, a Staff, or a single / short for two handed... and chosse the color instead of being locked into one...

you know, have like a mini sub quest to start out with, that show's how your Jedi became who he/she is.

Than, after all that, you start your accually QUEST.

That way, you accually build your Jedi from a baby to what ever age you are when you start. That would add a personal feel to it, i belive.

That's what i'd prefur.

If not that, a really well writen Char that ISN'T preastablished. I'd hate an RPG made around the OT, cause you know Luke, you know how he turns out, and you pretty much know what you have to do... and what fun is that?

KingSnake.

I never understand why people want to roleplay normal characters...  :)  :)

Well by normal jedi you are in no way ordinary to Earth standards .. :lol: but whats the fun in being Superman?

Roleplaying is generally being a normal guy/gal in an extraordinary situation .. Otherwise you won't connect to you alternate self!

Fortune favors the bald.

As much as it supprieses me, i agree with you.  Dispite the fact i've grown really found of being Reven, i wasn't very happy when i found out who i was.  Kind of rips that whole feeling of, being YOU out of the Char... cause you NOT you, you HIM...(if that makes since.)

The game starts, you a baby... found to be force sincitive.  This is where you name your Avatar, chosse a look, and a sex.

Flash ahead.  your a young padwain, in training.  Random jedi masters  are working with you, training you, and asking you question that lead to detearming your Class, combat style, ect ect ect. 

maybe you can pick an option to spend more time in saber training then force training and be a Guardian.

Maybe depending on how you answer, it'll effect your personally / alliginment.  If your a punk, you start closer to netural dark, or if your respectful and such, you more of a light sider.

maybe, if different saber combat styles are avalible, you can choses a different master to teach you... or have a different master represend a different feat you start with... same with force powers.

the last stage of this sub quest could be you building your first light saber, that way you can make either a single, a Staff, or a single / short for two handed... and chosse the color instead of being locked into one...

you know, have like a mini sub quest to start out with, that show's how your Jedi became who he/she is.

That way, you accually build your Jedi from a baby to what ever age you are when you start.  That would add a personal feel to it, i belive.

That's what i'd prefur.

If not that, a really well writen Char that ISN'T preastablished.  I'd hate an RPG made around the OT, cause you know Luke, you know how he turns out, and you pretty much know what you have to do... and what fun is that?

KingSnake.

Man it is you who are a genius!

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

I never understand why people want to roleplay normal characters...  :)  :)

Well by normal jedi you are in no way ordinary to Earth standards .. :) but whats the fun in being Superman?

Roleplaying is generally being a normal guy/gal in an extraordinary situation .. Otherwise you won't connect to you alternate self!

I don't think Revan wasn't built up to be a "Superman" by the story. He was powerful, yes, but not unfathomably so. After all, Malak outwitted him and blew his mind away with a ship blaster, didn't he? :lol::p And besides, if you played LS you got to discover how very wrong your previous self had been and disown it, going around saying "I'm not Revan any more!" :)

Now the combat in KOTOR1 was, in general, rather too easy, but that's a separate issue entirely...

Continuation of previous post... nah, to me, roleplaying is more usually being an extraordinary person in an extraordinary situation :) Increases the escapism factor. (I've played "normal-ish" individuals in pen-and-paper campaigns, but more often wackos. After all, a DM will occasionally forget himself and land you in a "normal" situation...)

But hey, I'm a complete weirdo myself...

As much as it supprieses me, i agree with you.  Dispite the fact i've grown really found of being Reven, i wasn't very happy when i found out who i was.  Kind of rips that whole feeling of, being YOU out of the Char... cause you NOT you, you HIM...(if that makes since.)

The game starts, you a baby... found to be force sincitive.  This is where you name your Avatar, chosse a look, and a sex.

Flash ahead.  your a young padwain, in training.  Random jedi masters  are working with you, training you, and asking you question that lead to detearming your Class, combat style, ect ect ect. 

Maybe depending on how you answer, it'll effect your personally / alliginment.  If your a punk, you start closer to netural dark, or if your respectful and such, you more of a light sider.

That way, you accually build your Jedi from a baby to what ever age you are when you start.  That would add a personal feel to it, i belive.

That's what i'd prefur.

If not that, a really well writen Char that ISN'T preastablished.  I'd hate an RPG made around the OT, cause you know Luke, you know how he turns out, and you pretty much know what you have to do... and what fun is that?

KingSnake.

Man it is you who are a genius!

not really... i just daydream way to much i think... or i read to many comics... or both. anyway thanks. B)

now all we need to do is get LA to listen. Any good with the Jedi Mind trick?

KingSnake.

Ya I really liked what Kingsnake suggested, it would be cool to start off and actually building a character from birth would be great,

After you decide what you are like then depending on the time period, you could be assigned to watch over a planet or system, maybe work with the Jedi on Coursant, you know basically get missions and you choose where to the adventure.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I prefer both. Predifined characters for easier sequels.

But i also like my own characters that i hav created, since it makes it seem like your story, and that character is you, interacting with the NPCs. A form of escapism as someone else said.

I prefer both. Predifined characters for easier sequels.

But i also like my own characters that i hav created, since it makes it seem like your story, and that character is you, interacting with the NPCs. A form of escapism as someone else said.

Bioware did rather well at glueing the two ideas together, I reckon.

Blimey don't I sound like a fanboi. Rah Rah Rah! Bioware r0xx0rs!! etc :lol:

Continuation of previous post...  nah, to me, roleplaying is more usually being an extraordinary person in an extraordinary situation :lol:  Increases the escapism factor.  (I've played "normal-ish" individuals in pen-and-paper campaigns, but more often wackos.  After all, a DM will occasionally forget himself and land you in a "normal" situation...)

But hey, I'm a complete weirdo myself...

No its just a matter of taste .. :) I like being the freak supervillain, as well, with all the ****ed personal habits .. hehe .. but every once in awhile its cool to be a normal guy in a weird world!

I'm not a total fan of complete escapism as I would like to have a bit of myself in the character .. so I will feel like its me taking the decision, and not just me playing someone taking the decision .. if I distance myself too much, I won't feel morally wrong at making evil decisions etc. and that is IMO a very important part of roleplaying ..

Fortune favors the bald.

The thing about KOTOR is when you find out your Revan.. there isn't many reprocussions because you still can decide whetehr your light or dark. Other then influencing some of your future dialogue decisions... being an Amnesiac Revan doesn't make you a god for the rest of KOTOR, you are still the same weak/strong jedi from before. I just don't think they made Revan to be a superman in KOTOR.

The thing about KOTOR is when you find out your Revan.. there isn't many reprocussions because you still can decide whetehr your light or dark. Other then influencing some of your future dialogue decisions... being an Amnesiac Revan doesn't make you a god for the rest of KOTOR, you are still the same weak/strong jedi from before. I just don't think they made Revan to be a superman in KOTOR.

I was just speaking in generel terms .. but Revan can become quite the Superman if you play him/her right!

I still enjoyed the story after I discovered I was Revan .. In my mind it was a great twist and was done very well.. although Nur has a good point, it is close to NWN!

Fortune favors the bald.

Ya but really there aren't really a whole lot of plots for modern stories, shakespear pretty well covered them all

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Ya but really there aren't really a whole lot of plots for modern stories, shakespear pretty well covered them all

Well I don't know about that .. But most of the "rules" behind good storytelling was firmly established in ancient Greece litteratur .. Just read at Homer for instance .. the struggle between good and evil a dash of corruption etc. etc. it's all been done before! originality is hard when there is 4000 years of great stories before you .. :lol:

Fortune favors the bald.

Ya the oral traditions did become very refined by the time they were written down, but as in the modern tragedy and such are very much attributed to shakespear altough there is no proof who he was and even if he was only one person

Do not overestimate Shakespeare. Calderon de la Barca was as great.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

I don't but you must admitt with most writers learning shakespear at age 12 its kind of hard to undermine his influence and ofcourse I'm not just talking modern writters