How much do you want our character defined?

Would you prefer your character open-ended or well-defined?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer your character open-ended or well-defined?

• Well-defined, please!
    • Leaning towards well-defined
    • I have no opinion
    • Leaning towards open-ended
    • As Open-ended as possible, please!

We've got a definite origin; he's a Jedi and a veteran of the Mandalorian War who was exiled for reasons unknown, which will presumably be spelled out in the course of the game. So we've got a solid background there.

But what about even more detail? Do you want to run into past friends, enemies, etc. from your character's previous life, or would that impact too much on how you want to think of your character? For example, I always found it annoying as hell when Baldur's Gate 2 just assumed I was a goody two-shoes in the first game who travelled with Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen, rescued Viconia, etc. etc. even when my character was a freaking Priest of Talos.

KOTOR solved this problem (to an extent) by making our character as he is now a blank slate. The fact that he was the Dark Lord of the Sith meant nothing in the game because our character was a totally different person than he was before. The same was true of Planescape: Torment.

But here there are no memory problems. If you meet a character who was supposedly your 'friend' during the Mandalorian Wars, and you think he's a complete jackass, the problem of why you befriended him in the first place will still remain and put you at odds with the game's interpretation of your character.

On the other hand, a 'blank slate' usually ends up as pretty freaking boring. If your character could have been anything, as in Fallout, then the unfortunate consequence is (mostly) stale dialogue which tries to cover every base. Games like Morrowind don't even bother with the dialogue; they just have key words you can choose, and let you imagine what your character is actually saying.

In other words, each side has it's advantages and disadvantages. Which is more appealing to you?

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

I like to given the little info given on our character for this game. I don't want instances in dialogues and events to flesh out his past if at all possible. I would like for the game to enable me to define my character by going through "gray" areas, instead of black and white (i.e.: KoToR I)

I would prefer it if I had to do as little imagining on who my character is as possible; while having it open-ended is nice for no-plot games, the character needs to have some traits that remain steady.

I am leaning to open ended. I think having some structure would be nice but having the choice of who or character is would help make the game more real, in my opinion anyways.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

As defined as it needs to be to make the story good, with as much left to me as possible.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Open-ended for me, but I still want there to be a few things that are defined, like at least a few details about the character's past. Otherwise it risks become too boring, as has been said before.

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

I voted well defined.

It's not possible for open ended (other than good and evil) gameplay in this kind of game anyways. As in KOTOR you will be limited to several lines of dialog to choose, so most of the plot will be very defined.

The most important choices will be your morality and that will influence most of the plot and dialog, just like the original game.

And that's fine by me. :)

what about having multiple story lines that will develope depending on how you answer the questions at the begining of the game, for example if you said that you did DS then you have a darker story line, LS a lighter story, or if you told atton to bugger off then it becomes more open ended beyond the peices of the back story we already know.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

Heh. There seems to be a wide divergence of opinion on this subject.

what about having multiple story lines that will develope depending on how you answer the questions at the begining of the game, for example if you said that you did DS then you have a darker story line, LS a lighter story, or if you told atton to bugger off then it becomes more open ended beyond the peices of the back story we already know.

I'm supporting that idea.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Should be pretty open ended. After all, the PC was banished from the order after following Revan into the Mandalorian wars. I doubt you'll see many war buddies because they would've been other jedi who followed Revan, and the PC is supposed to be the last jedi left, right?

So, I'd think the PC is going to probably start the game as a loner former jedi, something like Jolee from KOTOR 1. Obviously, the Sith are after you, and I doubt any jedi you may encounter are going to be likely to trust you right off the bat, after all, you followed the dark lord of the Sith, right?

I doubt you'll see many war buddies because they would've been other jedi who followed Revan, and the PC is supposed to be the last jedi left, right?

Ahhh, but the key word is last Jedi. Who knows how many Sith you may encounter who were once your comrades-in-arms against the Mandalorians and who fell with Revan to the Dark Side?