What's the most interesting science?

Cwicseolfor

I finish high school next year and will be doing a bachelor of science with a pure maths major. I'm interested in more than just maths, though, so was wondering what you guys find to be the most interesting science. I do a bit of programming, so I'm already sort of biased towards computer science (and cryptography and number theory catch my eye - comp sci would appear to be synergistic with maths), but psychology, neuroscience, astrophysics and bioinformatics catch my eye, too.

Fact is, I know very little about any of these sciences (or rather, what undergraduate study of them involves) and thus welcome different opinions. Accounts from people with majors in a science would be most welcome.

I'll be off now to curse about the fact that my computer is not 'beefy' enough to even get to the main menu screen in KotOR.

Auf wiedersehen.

Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost

Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost

It depends on what interests you. If a particular branch of science doesn't interest you, you'll never do as well as you might.

If you love entomology, for example, a college cource designed around physics probably would be useless to you, despite how well you perform. The most prolific and accomplished scientists are so because they have the passion, similar to what an artist has, for their work.

It depends on what interests you.  If a particular branch of science doesn't interest you, you'll never do as well as you might.

If you love entomology, for example, a college cource designed around physics probably would be useless to you, despite how well you perform.  The most prolific and accomplished scientists are so because they have the passion, similar to what an artist has, for their work.

Passion is something grown. Einstein didn't have a passion for theoretical physics when he was 1 years old. I need to know what something is, what it involves in order to have or develop a passion for it.

I already have a passion for mathematics and I do plan to do a doctor of philosophy in it. However, as good as mathematics is, its real power tends to come out when it is coupled with another scientific discipline.

I am very interested in a lot of the sciences, that's why I can't decide.

I already have a passion for mathematics and I do plan to do a doctor of philosophy in it. However, as good as mathematics is, its real power tends to come out when it is coupled with another scientific discipline.

If you want a discipline that uses mathematics fully, try physics. All sciences (and even most pseudo-sciences) use statistics; chemistry makes use of differential equations at times. However, only physics really goes through the entire range of high level math; group theory, complex analysis, differential geometry, linear algebra, multivariable calculus -- it's all here. In fact, we need so much math that physicists have occasionally had to come up with entire branches of mathematics just to go on with their work.

I would suggest either chemistry or physics, especially with your interest in mathematics. However, if you are keen on chemistry and a bit of biology, do biochemistry which still has a relatively heavy mathematics component.

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

Hmm. I'll take a look at physics. I'm pretty interested in the thoeretical astronomy side of it, so...

Dude, Mith's advice was good. Engineering is big business. If you don't want to do something mainstream....Bioengineering is getting more and more popular....

That is, if you're at all interested in making any sort of money.....pure science is the path to lifelong crap jobs, with small payoffs....up to you. ;)

That is, if you're at all interested in making any sort of money.....pure science is the path to lifelong crap jobs, with small payoffs....up to you.  :)

That statement is completely false. There are quite a few ways you can make money with a degree in a pure science. The most extreme example is getting a Ph.D in physics and then going into economics. Doesn't make sense? Think about what physicists do and how the market works (for that matter, what the market is). There are plenty of other ways if you want to actually continue all the way in sciences. Work at a university or go into industry -- who do you think does research, design, etc. at companies that build stuff?

Dunno, that might be the closest thing to a true statement I've seen from Servant of Eru. In America, graduate degrees are rough--you have to work at poverty level while in the program plus some monstrous tuition to scrape up. You can get a decent job with a B.S., but it's likely you're going to be answering to someone who has little to no idea about what you're doing--which can be good or bad, lol.

Oh, anytime I really think about how the market works, I feel the need to shower for some reason.

Just what I needed, another forum to keep up with.

Neversummer PW

Dunno, that might be the closest thing to a true statement I've seen from Servant of Eru. In America, graduate degrees are rough--you have to work at poverty level while in the program plus some monstrous tuition to scrape up. You can get a decent job with a B.S., but it's likely you're going to be answering to someone who has little to no idea about what you're doing--which can be good or bad, lol.

Oh, anytime I really think about how the market works, I feel the need to shower for some reason.

^^^Sounds like you know what you're talking about.

For the most part, if you go for a pure science degree, you're ****ing screwed if you don't have something else to balance it out. What you suggested 'nai, would mean taking some sort of economics course, something heavy on economics based statistics as well to balance it out. When someone goes for a pure science degree, even if they're the most inventive, brilliant mind of this age.....they usually don't make all that much money, unless they're working for the government, they usually end up doing low wage, low yield jobs for the rest of their lives in the form of research at a local university. Once you factor in the money it takes to GET a degree such as the one described for a research job....unless you've got some hefty scholarships, you're looking at a long, long time before all your school debts are paid off.

Which is why, rather than going into a pure science job as I fancied for a long time, I decided to go into computer sciences, specifically programing.....that way if programming doesn't work out, I'll still have a horde of IT and Networking jobs to fall back on. :) Even so, I'll probably be selling myself short developing for games as I intend to, compared if I developed software for non entertainment purposes; but I should enjoy devving games alot more. :huh:

When someone goes for a pure science degree, even if they're the most inventive, brilliant mind of this age.....they usually don't make all that much money, unless they're working for the government, they usually end up doing low wage, low yield jobs for the rest of their lives in the form of research at a local university.

Trust me, the most inventive, brilliant mind of this age would make money no matter what they go into. Science is not quite as undervalued as you say it is. A tenured professor at my unversity makes quite a bit of cash, even if they don't write books or win any prizes or awards.

Once you factor in the money it takes to GET a degree such as the one described for a research job....unless you've got some hefty scholarships, you're looking at a long, long time before all your school debts are paid off.

This is a common misconception. Unlike med school, law school or business school, science education at graduate level and up does not incur debt -- unless you are really bad at getting grants or so wealthy that you don't care, in general they pay you (not much, but enough to live), you don't pay them. Of the 30 people in the lab that my friend works at, not one is paying. Grad students are the lifeblood of science -- do you think professors have time to personally look after all experiments and courses they run?

I'm a quantum mechanic myself.  B)

So what, you run around all day and fix broken Quantums. Big deal :)

I tend to agree with SoE on this one too, pure science for science's sake is a gamble. If you are among the best/genius in your field (which mean, you wouldn't even have to ask what the most interesting one is), your streets will be paved with gold and you'll only miss out on small details like friends and a life. If you are not a genius/authority in your field, welcome to your second day job to make ends meet :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm an Astrophysicist, although I know teach secondary Physics. You don't do it for the money, that sucks, you do it because it interests you.

Around here if you want to make good money without working all that hard your best bet is to leave school at 16 and train as a plumber.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

I'm an Astrophysicist, although I know teach secondary Physics. You don't do it for the money, that sucks, you do it because it interests you.

Around here if you want to make good money without working all that hard your best bet is to leave school at 16 and train as a plumber.

haha. That's quite true in a lot of cases. If you want money and heaps of it, you don't neccessarily need a degree.

Uhm. Need I mention I don't want a commerce degree? Or an engineering degree... or a law degree... or a med degree... or anything else non-science degree.

Also, my primary major will be mathematics, so telling me things like "you're doing science - you're ****ed" is stupid, considering I won't listen.

But anyway, the other majors I'm considering are physics and computer science, I've decided. Thanks for the input!

Also, I don't live in America, so you can stop ranting about how I'll be in debt forever and such. That's certainly not the case for undergrads here when they leave uni, and nor is it the case for Ph.Ds. ;)

And finally, screw money - have you ever heard of happiness? Like I'm going to do a job in a something I hate. Money doesn't drive me - love does; of science, of knowledge, of life.

Well astrophysics is facinating and exciting, but it can also be frustrating as it is difficult to get obsevations that are sufficiently accurate to support/refute your theories. There is a huge amount of speculation.

You also need to be prepared to defend your disipline from the many who say it is a waste of money.

The level of mathematics required is slightly less than for quantum/theoretical physics.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Uhm. Need I mention I don't want a commerce degree? Or an engineering degree... or a law degree... or a med degree... or anything else non-science degree.

Also, my primary major will be mathematics, so telling me things like "you're doing science - you're ****ed" is stupid, considering I won't listen.

But anyway, the other majors I'm considering are physics and computer science, I've decided. Thanks for the input!

Also, I don't live in America, so you can stop ranting about how I'll be in debt forever and such. That's certainly not the case for undergrads here when they leave uni, and nor is it the case for Ph.Ds. :p

And finally, screw money - have you ever heard of happiness? Like I'm going to do a job in a something I hate. Money doesn't drive me - love does; of science, of knowledge, of life.

I wasn't really trying to be mean, and I'm sorry if you took it that way. I'm glad to hear that's your attitude as that's the kind you need in the field you're going in to. :) If you would like to do something you love, that also makes good money (nothing wrong with that now, that's what I'm doing); computer science is just about the most lucrative science major I can think of right now. :)

Actually, medice is a science.

Computer science is not really "science". There are other "real" sciences that go into creating computer components and such, but none of them are called "computer science". Computer science is not much more than a MCSE type degree with some soldering shop classes thrown in. At least that's what it's been at every college I have associations with.

I would suggest determining what it is you are primarily concerned with, the size of your paycheck or the size of your ego. This will help you decide which to stay away from. Some pay very well, some don't. Some give you a gargantuan ego (surmizing you do well and publish some well received works). A few give you both.