Club Dread

deganawida

Okay, the wife and I rented Broken Lizard's Club Dread last week (word to the wise: unless you're a DVD-phile, avoid buying the DVD, as the only special features it has is a commercial for the soundtrack). Now, I loved Supertroopers; we laughed like maniacs while we were watching that film, and neither of us generally go in for crude comedies. Supertroopers was, IMO, truly funny, which makes Club Dread such an oddball.

For those who haven't seen the film, or even heard of it, it's billed as a comedy/horror flick. Now, the horror/thriller aspect I can buy; wb and I spent most of the movie playing "Whodunit?". Yet, despite the rare scene, there wasn't much comedy in the movie. Really, the movie comes off as having some kind of identity crisis; just when you are taking the plot seriously, some really bad gag comes up and ruins suspension of disbelief.

Did I like the film? Yeah, it was decent enough. I got a few laughs, and had fun trying to figure out who the killer was. Was it funny? Not really, though some scenes had humor. Does it live up to Supertroopers? No way! I would have enjoyed the movie more had it decided if it was going to be a horror film or a comedy. If you're bored, rent it. If not, don't worry about it.

Okay, the wife and I rented Broken Lizard's Club Dread last week (word to the wise: unless you're a DVD-phile, avoid buying the DVD, as the only special features it has is a commercial for the soundtrack). Now, I loved Supertroopers; we laughed like maniacs while we were watching that film, and neither of us generally go in for crude comedies. Supertroopers was, IMO, truly funny, which makes Club Dread such an oddball.

For those who haven't seen the film, or even heard of it, it's billed as a comedy/horror flick. Now, the horror/thriller aspect I can buy; wb and I spent most of the movie playing "Whodunit?". Yet, despite the rare scene, there wasn't much comedy in the movie. Really, the movie comes off as having some kind of identity crisis; just when you are taking the plot seriously, some really bad gag comes up and ruins suspension of disbelief.

Did I like the film? Yeah, it was decent enough. I got a few laughs, and had fun trying to figure out who the killer was. Was it funny? Not really, though some scenes had humor. Does it live up to Supertroopers? No way! I would have enjoyed the movie more had it decided if it was going to be a horror film or a comedy. If you're bored, rent it. If not, don't worry about it.

Apparently the Broken Lizard guys did it mainly so they could go to a tropical island and have hot women take off their tops. Also, I think that a lot of people go into it expecting a scary movie type comedy, when its really just a slasher film with some funny characters.

***SPOILER***

Rabbit sure makes a really cool looking killer though.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Rabbit was the killer? What was Farva? Anything?

He was the hero.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg