Most suprising movie ever?

I wasn't surprised by Contact, but I have to admit that I enjoyed it. It's a rare movie I might actually buy. I like 'em all, but I buy very few.

How about movies that show our weird tastes. I didn't expect to like Groundhog Day, but I watched it and liked it show much I bought the video. I played it so much that the video wore out and my wife bought me the DVD. I guess there's something oddly fitting about enjoying Groundhog Day so much I watch it over and over again.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I haven't seen that. The only other Kafka-based film I've seen is The Trial, with Anthony Hopkins and Kyle MacLachlan. I thought it was a rather accurate telling of the story, but really, really boring.

it was the one he was writing just before he died... hence the unfinished business. it was basically about a guy that worked for some shady corporation. i can't recall the entire premise, but it was definitely conspiracy minded. the last 20 minutes, btw, were obviously not written by kafka. the style completely changed and the ending seemed contrived and expected whereas the rest of the movie kept you guessing a bit.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

2. I went to see Pitch Black expecting a B horror flick. What I got was a REALLY entertaining adaptation of Asimov's Nightfall.

I did not realize that it was from Asimov...

quite stunning the first time you watch it.

did anyone see the chronicles of riddick (a follow on to pitch black)? it wasn't out long so i'm assuming it sucked.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I did not realize that it was from Asimov...

quite stunning the first time you watch it.

did anyone see the chronicles of riddick (a follow on to pitch black)? it wasn't out long so i'm assuming it sucked.

taks

That's what pretty much everyone who saw it said. If you have an Xbox, get the game. That is definitely worth your money.

I also liked Pitch Black a lot. Bought that one on DVD.

hmmm odd tastes

Reservior Dogs? lol I liked that one 'Mr Pink' LMAO

Odd tastes, hmm.. I recently saw a Jim Carrey movie Ive never seen B4 called 'The Majestic'. I expected it to BLOW, I'd never even heard of it. But i kept watching it.. And I ended up liking it.

oh ya cant forget in favs:

Happy Gilmore

Billy Madison

Black Sheep

and most overrated movie? Speaking of Bill Murray, lost in translation.. Best Bill Murray movie ever? YA RIGHT! That one BLEW.

I also liked Groundhog Day and Caddieshack.

Ambrosia3.gif

I've only read Kafka, but I have to say that I usually find his works oddly haunting.

The ending for Contact was a bit mushy, but that was okay by me. Mix in a tad of smaltz and it's all good.

I'm not much for Adam Sandler flix. My favorite was probably Wedding Singer.

I really enjoyed Pitch Black. My wife refused to see it. Her loss.

I'm going to see Chronicles of Riddick eventually. It's probably not the greatest film in the world but it'll probably have good action scenes if nothing else.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

2. I went to see Pitch Black expecting a B horror flick.

good call

The first Mummy movie was a similar expirence in my mind. Expected ****, got a good pop-corn flick.

I think T3 was also a surprise, I wrote that one off completely,

I think T3 was also a surprise, I wrote that one off completely,

Yeah. I expected something decent (for some reason) and wound up completely writing it off.

Pitch Black is excellent. I recently watched it again, kind of expecting that I wouldn't like it as much as the first viewing, and it was even better. Eldar, why won't your wife watch it?

newlogo.gif

Eldar, why won't your wife watch it?

It's not that she won't, but that she can't.

You see, her vision is not so good as of late. During a recent trip to Canada she was struck by one of those sneaky icebergs while crossing the street. She is expected to make a full recovery.

You guys should put up signs or something.

Does Meg Ryan have a laugh (or is it a hack), or does ANYONE have a laugh that is anywhere near as annoying as Julia Roberts?

And at least Meg Ryan is sort of cute. Roberts is butt-friggen ugly.

I don't think she's ugly, but I agree with you on the laugh. But if MR scrunches up her nose one more time in a movie.....

I think most directors could replace her with a puppy or something, then we'd have something cute to fill her void that would not have to attempt any dialogue.

EDIT - Don't forget Fran Drescher (as far as laughs go).

You guys should put up signs or something.

We do, but they always get stolen by American tourists.

That may be, but an image reinacting the sinking of the Titanic as a warning is kind of tacky on your part.

I thought Buffalo Soldiers and Dog Soldiers were nice surprises

First of all, Meg Ryan is a little cutie. She's getting a bit long in the tooth. I have a particular loathing for Julia Roberts. Her lips wrap half-way 'round her head, for crying out loud!

My wife refuses to watch most scarey movies. She grabbed my arm so hard it left nail marks just watching "The Others." Dammit, I want to sit close to her to enjoy a movie, but I'm afraid she'll see a scarey scene and rip my damned arm off my shoulder.

Obsidian Plays

I severely dislike Julia Roberts. One of the most over-rated actresses out there, I think. Her part in my aforementioned Ocean's Eleven was a low point in the film. Looks like she'll be a major character in the sequel, unfortunately.

As for Meg Ryan I have no opinion as I don't think I've ever noticed her, apart from the occasional photograph here and there.

Nicole Kidman is another up there on my list of irritating actresses, mainly because she's everywhere more than her acting ability (which is more or less competent). I think she should take a holiday for a few years and stop trying to be in every film made.

newlogo.gif

That may be, but an image reinacting the sinking of the Titanic as a warning is kind of tacky on your part.

Nfld. mayor wants icebergs protected

Last Updated Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:21:19 EDT

BONAVISTA, NFLD. - The mayor of a small town in Newfoundland wants the provincial government to come up with ways to protect icebergs, saying they're a valuable tourism resource.

Bonavista Mayor Betty Fitzgerald said tourists flooded to the town recently to see a large iceberg that had grounded itself offshore.

They left prematurely when a crew from the Canadian Iceberg Vodka Corp. took a boat out to the site and began cutting chunks off the iceberg to use in its products, said Fitzgerald.

"It was turning people off, and they were leaving because they thought it was awful that iceberg was being harvested," the mayor said.

Fitzgerald complained to several government departments and to the RCMP.

There's no law to prevent such harvesting, but the company eventually stopped taking ice from the iceberg on a voluntary basis.

Dave Hood, a vice-president with Canadian Iceberg Vodka, said the iceberg was 13 kilometres offshore.

"Does that really justify it as being within a tourist area? I don't know," said Hood.

The Canadian Iceberg Vodka Corp. markets its vodka as being super-pure because it's made with pristine water from 12,000-year-old icebergs.

Fitzgerald's iceberg protection campaign comes on the heels of a move to protect other inanimate objects that appeal to tourists visiting Newfoundland and Labrador.

Earlier this week, the town council in Cow Head on the island's Northern Peninsula passed a bylaw forbidding the removal of any material from the local beach, including small rocks.

Mayor Pat Bavis said the move was necessary because interesting rocks, including fossils and aboriginal artifacts, are part of what makes the beach attractive to tourists.

"If we lose it, it's not a renewable resource that we are going to get back," he said.

newlogo.gif

Earlier this week, the town council in Cow Head on the island's Northern Peninsula passed a bylaw forbidding the removal of any material from the local beach, including small rocks.

Mayor Pat Bavis said the move was necessary because interesting rocks, including fossils and aboriginal artifacts, are part of what makes the beach attractive to tourists.

"If we lose it, it's not a renewable resource that we are going to get back," he said.

That's a little strange. I grew up on a beach and if its subjected to ocean surf, the beach continually changes. Sediment gets covered, exposed, washed out to sea, and brought back to land. Besides, how do you enforce that?

"Turn your pockets inside out. Where did you get that pebble?" :angry:

And what about skipping rocks?

That's a little strange. I grew up on a beach and if its subjected to ocean surf, the beach continually changes. Sediment gets covered, exposed, washed out to sea, and brought back to land. Besides, how do you enforce that?

"Turn your pockets inside out. Where did you get that pebble?" :angry:

And what about skipping rocks?

Shhhhh! They aren't in politics because they're smart. Don't tell them anything more than they need to know!

Another movie I found surprisingly under done was Daredevil.

Shhhhh! They aren't in politics because they're smart. Don't tell them anything more than they need to know!
:D

I'm not saying it was "surprisingly" bad, but I just borrowed a copy of Windtalkers from someone, and well... it was like a WWII Rambo movie starring Nick Cage.