Most suprising movie ever?

To me it was the Matrix. The first one. I went in thinkin this will be some crap Keanu reaves movie and it was amazingly great.

A movie you go into thinking it will be **** and it turns out good is awesome..

Quest for fire is great also.. I heard no words?! wtf?! But really, no words and its still awesome! Quest for Fire, check it out if you havent. :)

Whats your most suprising movie you've seen?

Ambrosia3.gif

Surprisingly good would have to be Hidalgo. I sat through the first 10 minutes thinking it was gonna be crap. But the second part really surprised me and raised my rating for the movie from a 1/10 to 7/10.

Surprisingly bad would have to be Reloaded. I gathered a bunch of friends to go to the AMC theatre in NYC to see it. Oh man, was it a dissapointment.

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

Recently, I'd have to say Second Hand Lions was suprisingly good. I thought it would be rather schmaltzy and sweet, but it was extremely well done. I think that was due primarily to the strength of the cast (Michael Caine, Robert Duvall, Haley Joel Osmet).

A remarkably good film.

newlogo.gif

Recently, I'd have to say Second Hand Lions was suprisingly good. I thought it would be rather schmaltzy and sweet, but it was extremely well done. I think that was due primarily to the strength of the cast (Michael Caine, Robert Duvall, Haley Joel Osmet).

A remarkably good film.

That'd get my vote as well. I thought that it'd be stupid, but my wife made me sit through it once, and then I made her sit through it a second time.

I would actually have to go with The Matrix here as well. I thought it was just going to be mindless killing, throwaway entertainment at best, and it actually turned out to be the most complex, mind-boggling film I'd ever seen. It's just too bad that the sequels didn't live up to it.

For surprisingly bad recently I'd have to say Van Helsing. Now, I didn't expect it to be great, but I had really liked the Mummy movies so I assumed VH would have that same kind of humour and overall adventurous fun. And I like Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsale, so I figured it would be good, tongue-in-cheek adventure film.

But gods, it was poor. Horrible dialogue, no characterisation at all, not a trace of the humour that made The Mummy good (the laughably bad faux Hungarian accents were not good humour).. Some nice visuals here and there, but that was about all it had going for it.

newlogo.gif

I nominate "The Crying Game" for nasty surprises... :blink:

If you mean films I thought would be crap that turned out ok...I was pleasantly surprised by the remake of "Dawn of the Dead" recently.

They would have been fine if they hadn't put the hype machine into overdrive and insulted our intelligence with their shameless advertising.

"You didn't like the movie? Well that's OK, go see it again, and it will grow on you. In the meantime, drink some more Powerade"

Matrix 2...tried to act as profound as in the first one but didn't have anything to do so about. Though smith was consistantly good in those two movies.

As for a suprise, Kill Bill 2. It's style was so different. ANd I thought they would never stop talking.

I liked the guy who wanted to move back into the matrix and have himself a nice big steak. That was about as profound as that otherwise very juvenile movie got.

The biggest surprise (that I can think of off the top of my head) in terms of a movie I thought would be good is The Wicker Man. I've yet to hear a negative word said about the film, but to me it was just a lot of 60's flower child silliness, sort of a horror equivalent to Easy Rider. But you can just ignore me, since I tend to be very much in the minority on this subject; after all, I detest Stanley Kubrick and Tim Burton too!

As for movies that are supposedly awful but that I quite liked, I'll nominate The Ninth Gate. It's no masterpiece, but a consistently entertaining little movie, with plenty of Roman Polanski's subtle homor and some lovely sets.

Butterfly Effect

I thought it would be another psycho-supernatural crap but it turned to be one of my favorites ever!

Amazing just amazing! B)

Life... is strength. That is not to be contested; it seems logical enough. You live; you affect your world

It was B-horror mixed with pulp action. <shrugs> I guess I have different tastes than some of y'all.

But it wasn't even good B-horror or pulp action. I fully expected B-horror and pulp action like the director/writer did in The Mummy films, but that just wasn't there.

newlogo.gif

Well there are several,

The mummy

Spider-Man

X-Men

Fellowship of the Ring

The butterfly affect

The Matrix

These are the most recent, there are others but I am too lazy to try to remember them all.

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

I, Robot. I expected it to be a mindless popcorn Will Smith action film, but it was actually a popcorn Will Smith action film that was decently intelligent.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg