Viewing Developer Posts

The Guildmaster

Which Method for Viewing Developer Posts do you Prefer?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Which Method for Viewing Developer Posts do you Prefer?

• A - Icon displays only developer posts in the given thread.
    • B - Icon takes me to the first developer post in the thread.

So we're adding the developer icon feature to the boards so folks can quickly determine which theads a developer or admin has posted in. There are two ways we can implement this however, and I wanted to get the community's feeling on which format is preferred:

( A ) On BioWare's forums, if you click the developer icon, it filters out developer posts from a given topic and just displays those posts. Pro's: You can see all the dev posts on one page. Con's: You can't easily see what their replies were in response to unless they quoted previous posts.

( B ) On Blizzard's forums, if you click the developer icon, it takes you to the first developer post in the given topic. Pro's: You can see the entire post and scroll up to see what the dev is responding to. Con: It only shows you the first dev post.

Which do you guys prefer?

I'm in favor of the Bioware approach myself.

I'm generally clicking the developer post icon if the dev posts are the only thing I'm interested in in the thread. If I wanted to read other posts, I'd be entering the topic proper and just reading the dev posts along with the rest.

On the Blizzard forums (those rare rare occasions I've visited them), I find that I have to read through the entire topic following the first dev post just to see if they've said anything else, which takes a lot of time.

Incidentally - thanks very much for deciding to add this feature! I think it will be a huge help. ;)

Feel free to steal this sig.

I voted for option B. Why would I need a bunch of incoherent posts taken out of context? Just direct me to the developer's first post, please.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I voted for option A. It seems better to me.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Option A is preferable because devs are usually careful to use the quote function and because of that, its easy to understand what they're responding to.

option B is no good in a thread thats over 2 pages

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yeah you can always go back and read the whole topic if you want to find out the context of the replies by the Dev. It's a lot harder if you want to read only the Dev replies and have pages and pages of dumb remarks to go through.

As surprising as it may seem some people don't have much to say but they manage to use a lot of space trying.

Some more things that would be help to the forums are:

Could we also fit more topics on one page? I tend not to change pages that much. Easier to see topics you want to add to without switching through a lot of pages. Plus in ten topics your new topic is gone.

Also we need a way to add topic to a list of sorts. Like the Bioware My Topics. I spend a lot of time searching for the same posts everyday.

Could we also fit more topics on one page? I tend not to change pages that much. Easier to see topics you want to add to without switching through a lot of pages. Plus in ten topics your new topic is gone.

You can set this in your control panel. Click 'My Controls' in the upper-right hand corner of most forum pages and select the "Board Settings" option. You can set the number of posts to show in each topic, and the number of topics to show on each forum page there.

Also we need a way to add topic to a list of sorts. Like the Bioware My Topics. I spend a lot of time searching for the same posts everyday.

This can be done several ways:

1) Click the "My Assistant" link in the upper-right hand corner of most forum pages. It opens up a helpful popup to show you your last 10 posts, and also quickly view new replies to topics you started.

2) In the My Controls, check out the "View Topics" option. This will show you all the posts you are subscribed to. Next to each topic, there's a "New Window" link. If you click that, it spawns another browser window with the topic in question, so you don't have to search for it.

Option B for me.

If a dev replies to something another user posted, it would be helpful if I can scroll up and read that post.  :)

Sure, it can be practical but what if the dev has another post at page 15 of the thread? You will end up browsing the whole thread, just in case there is something else? :rolleyes: What if this first post is "you can give your suggestions here" only? Notwithstanding the fact that there is an incredible amount of spam in these forums.

If you have all the posts, then you can simply go directly to that post in the thread and look for the rest of the discussion. I believe option A is the best.

Is there any possible way to implement option B in a way that if you clicked the icon after you'd been taken to the next dev post, clicked it again after that it would take you to the one after that.

Advantages to that system, would be you'd still see the dev posts, in context, yet you wouldn't neccesarily have to scroll through all twenty pages of a thread just to pick out the dev posts.

Disadvatages....quite honestly, I can't really see any.

:blink:

That's a pretty good idea, if it's implementable. Basically it would just need an icon in every developer post that would take you to the next developer post in that thread. A little O in the corner or whatever Obsidian thinks is best.

If that is an option, I'm in support of it over either choice in the poll.

Feel free to steal this sig.