About the 'Fate of the Galaxy' thing

How come in all the KOTOR's and most star wars games so far, you DECIDE THE FATE OF THE GALAXY'? I think a planet is good enough.

To be honest, I think it'd be an interesting storyline if you weren't on a quest to save the galaxy, or if the outcome of your game didn't hold the balance of the entire universe at stake.

But from a game producer standpoint, besides from making a great game, they have to think about sales. How could you advertise something as epic and in a grand scale, then follow with a description of "...as the hero tries to be just one of the masses and doesn't actually play an important role" or "...as the hero tries to defeat the bully in his neighborhood, in a fight that has absolutely no rammifications to any other neighborhood". Chances are, it just wouldn't sell as well.

IMHO, Bioware (and possibly now Obsidian) could have done this kind of thing with an add-on or expansion pack, in which instead of playing as a big hero, and trying to save the galaxy, you were more a minor hero, fullfilling a role in a mission that, although important, didn't have the entire galaxy on the brink depending on whether you completed it or not (ie. Jedi strike force sent to quell a rioting rebellion on one specific planet, or a republic commando team sent to inflitrate a criminal organization on some outlier system). Unfortunately, Bioware pretty much wiped their hands of KOTOR after they released it, and I doubt LA will be asking Obsidian to produce a small expansion pack after TSL is released, although I for one would buy it in a second.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

IMHO, Bioware (and possibly now Obsidian) could have done this kind of thing with an add-on or expansion pack, in which instead of playing as a big hero, and trying to save the galaxy, you were more a minor hero, fullfilling a role in a mission that, although important, didn't have the entire galaxy on the brink depending on whether you completed it or not (ie. Jedi strike force sent to quell a rioting rebellion on one specific planet, or a republic commando team sent to inflitrate a criminal organization on some outlier system). Unfortunately, Bioware pretty much wiped their hands of KOTOR after they released it, and I doubt LA will be asking Obsidian to produce a small expansion pack after TSL is released, although I for one would buy it in a second.

Hmm, isn't this what kind of game that game called... what, republic commando? Well, isn't it just about the kind of game you mentioned? You won't save the fate of the galaxy in that game althrough you amy well save a planet or two...

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

Hmm, isn't this what kind of game that game called... what, republic commando? Well, isn't it just about the kind of game you mentioned? You won't save the fate of the galaxy in that game althrough you amy well save a planet or two...

yeah, that's pretty much what Republic Commando is about. But that's a FPS game, sort of in the Tom Clancy Rainbow Six type mold. I'm referring to a game exactly like KOTOR.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

yeah, that's pretty much what Republic Commando is about. But that's a FPS game, sort of in the Tom Clancy Rainbow Six type mold. I'm referring to a game exactly like KOTOR.

Ahh, I see, I think... Well, a game like that could possibly be made even if I have doubts about LA's willingness to do so :/.

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

yeah, that's pretty much what Republic Commando is about.  But that's a FPS game, sort of in the Tom Clancy Rainbow Six type mold.  I'm referring to a game exactly like KOTOR.

Ahh, I see, I think... Well, a game like that could possibly be made even if I have doubts about LA's willingness to do so :/.

It hasn't so far. Atleast not a KOTOR-based one, mainly because Bioware didn't provide any tools to allow modders to do such a thing. I've seen and played a few of the mods made, but none are "expansion" type mods, since it's pretty much impossible for a modder with no access to the tools to create one.