Work on lightsaber combat

I think an important consideration is the single/dual lightsaber option, in KOTOR 1 i never found any reason to prefer a single saber to a double or two sabers, infact if you have the PC with a single blade vs an opponent with 2 and no force powers you'll probably loose in a straight out "attack" fight.

The way i see it the single saber is the best for defense and counterattack, the two bladers should be more penalised, because they have no strength behind their blades. If a guy with two sabers blocks a single blade opponent he better hit with his other blade because if not the opponent will simply use his weight behind his blade and push down until he starts cutting flesh.

Im not making a very clear explanation i dont think, but i believe there should be some advantage to using a single blade, since the other options have such obvious advantages.

to bad the dual sabers is for people who use the master 2-weapon fighting and the double saber is for the person who wants something better than a single saber.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I think an important consideration is the single/dual lightsaber option, in KOTOR 1 i never found any reason to prefer a single saber to a double or two sabers, infact if you have the PC with a single blade vs an opponent with 2 and no force powers you'll probably loose in a straight out "attack" fight.

The way i see it the single saber is the best for defense and counterattack, the two bladers should be more penalised, because they have no strength behind their blades. If a guy with two sabers blocks a single blade opponent he better hit with his other blade because if not the opponent will simply use his weight behind his blade and push down until he starts cutting flesh.

Im not making a very clear explanation i dont think, but i believe there should be some advantage to using a single blade, since the other options have such obvious advantages.

Dual sabers is more effective because it's more "weightless" for lack of a better word. It requires true skill and effectiveness to hit with a single bladed lightslaber. But with a double saber you can swing that bad boy around and hack of a couple of limbs within seconds. The whole idea of mastering two handed fighting is so that you get better with it and use it to the uptmost advantage. Anyone who has mastered two handed dueling would know the faults of it and therefore they're not going to get into a lightsaber pushing match with someone who has one saber. They're going to keep moving, keep swinging and keep beating down the fools who use single bladed sabers. Darth Maul rocks.

If i remember right in the pnp the most two-weapon-fighting and ambidexterity help is bringing it down to -2-4 (a saber is medium weight). But you get another extra attack.

I think that the single saber was much more effective on defense. WIth dueling you got that +3 defense (nice). With a scoundrel/guardian and all your defense related stuff you were prettymuch untouchable. But anyway, I do agree that (especially in early game) it's too easy to use something other than single saber.

Thats hard to say. What would make a single blade better...;)

A double blade should technically be better on D since there is two blades to defend with.

What if you could use your extra hand to do something? Push an opponent away to gain distance...

I got it! What if you could use your other hand to Force a weapon on the ground into your hand durring combat?

An advantage possibility(if you do that) would be to confuse your opponent so they miss one round...

I don't know, but I think somehow you should gain a bonus for doing that.

I dunno. Depends which you were talking about with defense.

Sorry I should've been a little clearer. I meant more in real life(and so no buddy thinks I'm crazy, I know Star Wars is a phantasy :blink: ). I would think a double sided lightsaber would be easier all around to use.

Err, except the other end flies around and hits your face, not to mention the restrictions on movement due to said problem. You couldn't aim the saber forward horizontally and move it in front of you at all, not without splitting your torso in two or switching one of the blades off shortly.

Anyway, I agree that two blades is physically more effective, but it would take considerable training to start with. In fact, I would almost say it should require a couple levels of dueling or somesuch to do - mastering one saber before adding another into the mix. Even then, it should require an initial feat of, say, ambidexterity, attainable only when choosing feats at first level. That would simulate a character who's good at using both hands interchangably...

Besides that, the rash of two-sided and twin bladers is absurd (not directed at you, this is just how I feel about it). The thing that makes it so unique is the sort of skill it requires, how flashy, and thus how rare it is. Drizzt is a boring character, so I can't imagine how it started...

I think that single saber and dual saber should betwo different feats, it makes more sense that way. Just because you can learn to use a lightsaber doesn't mean you can use two. It takes most Jedis both hands to properly use such a weapon.

iceman1731.jpg

Well maybe you should have the option to use your single saber in two hands.

In the first game you were supposed to get your x1.5 strength bonus as per 3.* d&d rules but something broke or they didn't have time to implement it. In any case this should be fixed for K2. This (among other things) should balance the different lightsabers / fighting styles.

SiO2

I think that single saber and dual saber should betwo different feats, it makes more sense that way. Just because you can learn to use a lightsaber doesn't mean you can use two. It takes most Jedis both hands to properly use such a weapon.

I would like it that way, too. Handling two blades definitely requires different skills/feats/attributes than a double-blade. I hope the different fighting styles will be improved in Kotor2...

• 4 weeks later...

At least in terms of game mechanics, the difference is clear. Master dueling with a single saber gives you a higher attack bonus and a higher defense. Master two-weapon fighting with either two sabers or a double bladed saber gives you an extra attack and does more damage.

Single saber is better against opponents with a high AC, double sabers or double bladed saber are better against many weaker opponents.

That's the way they balanced in the KOTOR 1 (the only problem was the glitch that made the double bladed saber not get the penalty it was supposed to).

Meh. If you look at the numbers in KOTOR, your attack bonus meant nothing. On the Star Forge, a dual-wielders offhand attack would hit everybody (other than Malak) on anything except a 1. The defense bonus from Dueling actually plays a part, but really, Dueling just wasn't as good as dual-wielding.

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

Meh.  If you look at the numbers in KOTOR, your attack bonus meant nothing.  On the Star Forge, a dual-wielders offhand attack would hit everybody (other than Malak) on anything except a 1.  The defense bonus from Dueling actually plays a part, but really, Dueling just wasn't as good as dual-wielding.

I'm aware that the game didn't make it much of a difference, but still those are the advantages and disadvantages. One turned out to be more useful purely because of balancing issues. Dueling is just as good as dual-wielding, the game just didn't give a situation where dueling was better. But as far as pure character building goes, they are pretty much equal. Neither was overpowered, except for the glitch which caused double-bladed sabers not to get an attack penalty. Clearly though, if there were an opponent with a high enough AC, (which would obviously be rare) the single saber would have a distinct advantage.