Lukes saber in A New Hope DVD

starwarskid15_19

Why oh why did George have to "fix" what was never broken in the first place?

As good an actress as Natalie Portman is, I don't think she's right for the Padme role. Padme is supposed to be more like Leia, a "proper" woman. Natalie is better suited playing those "New York girl accent" characters.

And Heyden came across as too whiny. I know they were trying to portray Anakin as frustrated with being held back, but instead of whiny, they should have went for anger or sadistic, sort of like the brief period when he slaughtered the Sandpeople. That was pretty much the only point where he looked like he was slipping to the Dark Side. The rest, he seemed like he was just throwing a tantrum.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

please, those who have the dvd, an answer to the question concerning -gasp- Jar Jar in RotJ, ....

Antagonist, you were joking, right?

edit:

go to this website for a visual guide to the newest changes:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarschanges.html

it appears the force ghost is indeed played by hayden christensen now; though the face that appears when Luke removes Vader's mask is the same -with a little change: He no longer has eyebrows. err.. yes. see for yourselves.

they did improve the Jabba on ANH, though...

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

What I don't get is why George Lucas changed Sebastian Shaw's ghost image to Heyden Christensen, but he kept Obi-Wan's ghost image as Alec Guiness and not Ewen McGregor.

I think it has do do with the fact that when a dark jedi returns to the lightside before he dies, his ghost image becomes how looked liked at the point he went to the dark side, so that's why he changed anakin. Obi-Wan was always light and that is why he looks old, because was old when he died.

Probably had something to do with becoming one with the force, which lightsiders are probably only capable of doing.

Hayden's would have been the lightside version of his character.

I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal.

To the contrary, it changes the whole Anakin character ark. Now Anakin isn't anymore the Jedi who once chose the dark path because he was impatient and lusted for power. The new prequelized Anakin was taken over by the a dark spirit and that means that he can't be possibly blamed for the things he did as Darth Vader. Plus, it looks stupid because Yoda and Obi-Wan are still old men as ghosts despite their lifelong service for the light side of the force while Anakin was two out of three parts an arrogant jerk who turned evil, helped to create and sustain an empire and is rewarded with eternal good looks.

Aha. Minor point.

Seriously, Star Wars becomes sillier with each release. George Lucas hasn't the faintest clue anymore what his saga was about because he didn't make it. Easy as that, he had so many good people in the crew who counterbalanced his weakness as a director, writer and his obsession with special effects. Now that they are all gone and Lucas is in charge alone it shows that the man is not the genius behind Star Wars.

Worse, the man is lying constantly. About his so-called motives, about the script, practically about everything. He is the biggest hypocrite I have ever seen in movie history. He is in an association (forgot name) which works to preserve classic movies but he himself denies the very fans which made him rich and famous the classic unaltered versions of his movies we all once fell in love.

I do not hate the man, but I despise him because he became an icon for all that is bad in Hollywood.

Ahhh this is a load of crap... (am I allowed to say sh*t on here?)

I've never so whole-heartedly agreed with an entire thread! I was really looking forward to picking up the trilogy but this thread about the changes has just made up my mind not to. Lucas must have become senile!

It's very clear what's happened now...

The two new prequels have definately shown, in full bloom, failures (in Lucas) that had only started to bud in rotj. (I haven't seen rotj in a long time but immediately coming to mind...retarded little ewoks defeating Imperial forces with a bunch of sticks and stones?!?!) The two new prequels seem to have been geared completely towards kids and effects. The plots have been uninteresting, ridiculous, and completely unrealistic. (in the literary sense of realism, of course...as in realistic in the SW universe, not ours)

Don't even get me started on the characters... the characters are just horrible! They're unrealistic, shallow, and their interaction sucks! In the original trilogy the viewer found themselves attached to and rooting for the characters. The interaction was genuinely interesting and added to the depth of the characters.

But in the 2 prequels so far, most every major character has been so annoying and dull that we find ourselves wishing them a slow, painful, and extremely gruesome death. And as for interaction...it's like nap time when they open their mouths...wake me again when they shut up. Unfortunately it never gets to that point...some whiny little bastard or retarded alien ends up disturbing me from my rest.

Can't Lucas just focus his lunacy on the 3rd prequel, creating another masterpiece of crap, and leave the original trilogy alone in all its glory?!? Damn him I was really looking forward to owning the trilogy on dvd, and now, I'm still waiting...because as far as I'm concerned, that's still not available.

...I had hoped to release my frustration on what's already been discussed but I felt I should contribute something new...so mostly it seems I was crapping about the prequels...

Oh, and I swear, if a jedi turning to the dark side gets to look young again like they did in their post-darkness days after dying, while normal jedis have to look like old farts, I can't blame anakin for killing all those people...I mean hell he probably just did it to look young forever after he becomes a ghost. And don't even bring up that possession crap...! Bringing elements from the prequels into the original trilogy isn't "tying things together" ... it's more like ... movie assassination!

What I liked most about the old Triology was the interaction between characters and good dialogue. For me, the prequels lacked this.

The stories always felt like someone pushed the fast forward button, and when the characters talked, they weren't reacting to each other or saying anything meaningful. You also didn't know why some characters were there in the first place. Like the kids that Anakin was supposed to be friends with, or the queen's Captain of the Guard. One dimensional characters that were part of the scenery and didn't contribute to the story.

And Anakin wasn't an angry moody young man at war with his dark emotions. He was just a whinny, snot-nosed brat. That was something I never envisioned the dark lord of the Sith to be.

I haven't got the newly released DVDs yet but I'm not really sure now that I want to. Some of the changes discussed doesn't sound right. I thought Lucas said he wanted to improve the triology by doing some things that he couldn't have done before because there wasn't the technology for it. But making Han into a I'll-shoot-only-after-you-shoot-me guy that isn't the smuggler I loved. And putting the younger version of Anakin into the ROTJ is wrong because that means Darth Vader wasn't redeemed at all.

First off, it's George's universe and he will do what he wants with it. He brought you the orriginals and now he's adding new effects and fixing the old ones, deal with it. Second of all, the dialog of the trilogy isn't that incredible to begin with, to say that it was a huge astonishing downgrade in the prequels is rediculous. U want great acting and great dialog u watch LOTR. Some people think that Lucas owes them for being consumers, logic has fallen more into shadow then in the prequel films :blink: I mean people actualy think lucas owes them for money they decided to spend on movie tickets. :) I'm not trying to insult people here but there needs to be an end to topics being derailed around here by lucas bashings. We're the prequels all that great, no, where they all that bad, not realy. Lucas created a fictional universe with his sci-fi films, which is still expanding through games, books, movies, created by lucas or no it's apart of his universe. And he can do what he wants with it.

As for Jar Jar, I don't think he specificly is in ROTJ and why would it ruin it? I mean it's the same story, the same actors, what does a minor scene with that idiot change if anything. There is a gungan reference to my knowledge at the end of ROTJ where the gungans are on the rooftops of theed in naboo, when they here the news they all jump up and wave their arms and one screems "WEESA FREEE"

But thats just something I heard, but it seems beleivable, possibly even a good scene. I didn't ever realy hate the gungans, no not even jar jar, stupid, clumsy, helped palpatine without knowing... as he was, never realy hated him nor did I see why others would hate him, if stupid side characters anoy you then u need to chill. Atleast SW hasn't been taken over and massacured by B&B the butchers of star trek who have turned a watchable sci-fi show into a recycled peice of garbage. They began their tyranny with voyager which wasn't so bad with the exception of the lack of good acting skills for specific characters, and over recycled plots. Enterprise slaughtered continuity, threw old characters at veiwers that weren't supposed to be introduced yet, then when ratings dropped they tried to get the old fans back by adding startrek to the name, this wasn't working, their alienated fans had left and few remained. This caused them to try and get new veiwers by showing a topless T'pol on screen for a consecutive 3 shows. Needless to say the acting quality is terrible.

George hasn't sunk to the level yet of thinking of people as one thing, lifeless cash cows with the sole purpose of giving him money or atleast not to the extent B&B have. He could vary easily completely screw all the old characters over make millions. Star Wars never did have too much common sense, planets pop like baloons, in the next revision they do have a new effect for the deathstar blowing a planet to bits. Needless to say there will probaly be a final revision somewhere down the road to all 6 films. A sort of final work from lucas the completed revised SW film series.

Note that like all my posts, the above is a statement of my opinions and veiws and no offense is intended

I think Lucas's changes to the original trilogy are mostly harmless. They were unnecessary and silly, but not really worthy of the hysterical responses they get.

After watching Attack of the Clones, and being kind of disappointed with the results (if not nauseated like I was with "The Phantom Menace"), I went and re-watched the trilogy on VHS. I was starting to wonder if nostalgia was causing me to over-rate the old movies.

No, the old movies don't have great dialog or "great acting" in the usual sense. But the characters were more fun and likable, and the acting wasn't so bad that it felt like being stabbed in the eye with a rusty nail. In the new movies, the characters aren't likable and some of the acting is just horrifyingly bad (e.g. everything involving that little kid playing Annakin, Hayden Christiansen's love scenes with Natalie Portman... possibly the worst on-screen romance EVER).

Maybe it takes a special kind of actor to take bad dialog and produce a fun-to-watch result. Christainsen has acted well in other things, but in TPM he was just awful in all respects. And he's the central character.

Of course, this is just my opinion. But the old movies were more of a fun ride, and the new movies are more of a long slogs through awful "plot development" in between overblown, numbing, brute-force special effects sequences.

The new prequelized Anakin was taken over by the a dark spirit and that means that he can't be possibly blamed for the things he did as Darth Vader.

Wrong.

The idea is that the appearance of a Jedi is based on what they looked liked before they were consumed by the Dark Side. And that's exactly what happened to Anakin Skywalker, he was consumed by the dark side of the force, it's where he gets his power. That does NOT mean he is possessed by the dark side or some dark side spirit at all. This is simply a poor understanding on your part. George Lucas doesn't want you to think that anyone who uses the dark side does so only because they are possessed by an evil spirit therefore can't be held responsible for their actions, any more than he wants you to think those who use the light side do so only because they are possessed by good spirits and therefore can't take credit for their actions.

The fact is that it never made sense for Anakin to appear as an old man at the end because he never looked like that. If the appearance of your ghost is determined purely by what you look like at the time of death, then Anakin should have looked scarred/burnt , bald and generally not very good looking at all. And unless Vader wore Jedi robes under the big black suit, the outfit was all wrong, too. In fact, it's the original ending, not the new edit, that supports for silly theory - some sort of cosmic force god power has decided that, even though Anakin did all sorts of bad stuff in his life, he should have his slate wiped clean and get to look like the old man he would have become were it not for the power of the dark side. The original ending is the copout "It wasn't him, it was the dark side!" ending.

Dear Hell Kitty,

your explanation doesn't make sense because there are two other Jedis in that picture who look exactly like in the moment of their death. And so did Anakin, at least how he would look if he had aged without the scars. And it was a more powerful symbol because it represented growth and wisdom. Besides, it casts a rather poor reflection in the force because it rewards those who stay true to it throughout their whole life with an miserable body in the afterlife while Anakin, who was a jerk most of his life, get's eternal beauty and youth for...yes for what ? For making SMALL amends for the crimes he commited throughout most of his life. That's rather fair and generous of the force.

And what irks me most with this theory is that Jedi now get taken over by the dark side and not because they choose willfully to take the easy, fast path (as Yoda said in ESB). To me, it sounds like Lucas has been watching to much Exorcist lately.

The whole prequel are made to take every guilt off Anakin. He was enslaved, his mother killed, he is stupid enough to be fooled by Palpatine, evil Jedi don't allow him to shag his love...there is NOTHING left of the Anakin Obi-Wan once described as a good man who was too ambitious for his own good until he chose to start using the darkside and not because he grew up in a bad enviroment.

And I never heard anybody complain about Sebastian Shaw at the end of the movie until Lucas decided to make a cut and paste job with Hayden. Now all the Lucas apologists jump out of their holes to defend every silly decision he makes.

The man is a revisionist. Look at all the lies he spread throughout the whole years.

How many episodes Star Wars is made of ?

Nine ? Twelve ? Six ? Accoring to Lucas the saga was always made of six/nine/twelve episodes. Depends on the interview he gives.

Vader was always meant to be Luke's father ? Too bad there are still dozens of drafts around od Star Wars and ESB which prove his lies, yet he insists that he is right despite all the evidence.

Luke and Leia were siblings ? Ha ! Kernsher said in an interview that Lukes sister was meant to be on the far side of the galaxy and episodes 6 to 9 would have been partly about Lukes search for her. Unfortunatly Lucas lost interest in Star Wars and collapsed the story into the heresy that is known as RotJ.

Bah, I once used to respect Lucas but he turned out to be an arrogant, lying hypocrite without any shred of dignity for movie history.

People are right. It IS his saga and he can tinker with it until be becomes a joke for future generations of film makers but he could release the unaltered trilogy so people could choose which they like better. Like Peter Jackson released both versions of LotR. But Lucas is trying to force people to either like his new versions or none at all.

Jerk.

Palpatine was a genious manipulating ever event that occured to his favor, and if they didn't go to his favor he figured a way to twist the end results so it did. George isn't taking any guilt off anakin, because his mother was killed or he was a slave, he's showing how he came to the dark path. And it was palpatine who had his mother killed, manipulating the sand people, they would have no other reason to keep her alive just long enough for anakin to arrive and see her die. This enrages anakin and gives him a swift kick towards the darkside, he then slaughters the sand people.

Lucas feels that his revisions make the trilogy more complete, like he wants it. Peter Jackson did not create LOTR, J.R.R. Tolkien did long before jackson was ever born, peter can no more take away the old films then he can completely rewrite LOTR. Tolkein's vision was completed with his books. Which have been turned into movies time and time again. Lucas however is not finished with his vision, and will keep fixing it until he finds it perfect. I don't defend lucas' silly decisions but I like starwars all the same, every film I have enjoyed.

I don't think he owes anything to me for buying the tickets or the films, thats a rediculous argument that I have seen used very few times due to the fact that it doesn't hold up.

Lucas created the star wars universe, if u don't like it ur not forced to watch it, the way u act I don't see a reason for u to even be on these boards, why are u here if u despise starwars

I agree with hell kitties post about anakins apearance, though I don't see how it or the other version make him seem anything like he was posessed.

Lucas created the star wars universe, if u don't like it ur not forced to watch it, the way u act I don't see a reason for u to even be on these boards, why are u here if u despise starwars

Worst argument ever.

The fact that people DID like the original movies suggests why they're posting so passionately about it. People speak up and voice their opinion when something DOES matter to them.

So to shoot down someone else's point of view by saying "if you don't like it, tough" is a rather weak comeback.

The fact is Lucas ruined, for many people, one of their favorite movie trilogies growing up. And he's done so in a manner where he comes across as arrogant to the same fans who made him famous in the first place. That's what people are angry about.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Worst argument ever.

The fact that people DID like the original movies suggests why they're posting so passionately about it.  People speak up and voice their opinion when something DOES matter to them.

So to shoot down someone else's point of view by saying "if you don't like it, tough" is a rather weak comeback.

The fact is Lucas ruined, for many people, one of their favorite movie trilogies growing up.  And he's done so in a manner where he comes across as arrogant to the same fans who made him famous in the first place.  That's what people are angry about.

Horrible post. I give that a 3.4 out of 10. Why don't you focus on the points that people make in their posts instead of the ones you write on scorecards?

I don't agree with all of what Chemix said, mainly because I can't read most of it, but he is essentially right in that it is Lucas' property, and he has the right to do what he wants with it. You can accuse him of screwing over fans, but rich directors like him do that all the time.

"Tough" is exactly the word that needs to be applied to this thread. Lucas will do as he pleases with the series, and if you don't approve, then don't give him your money. That's all there is to it.

it's the same freakin movie dang it, but with better FX and a few edits to tie it in with the prequels, the comment u quoted was a response to antagonist, he apears to hate all that is star wars, and george lucas.

He owes the fans

the fans made him what he is

the fans made him famous

this argument never holds up realy, and as for the weak argument point that must have not read the rest of my post

Lucas is making what he beleives to be the finished product of his work, people over react when they see the old classic film they love fixed up and tied to new not so loved films.

Atleast ur not dealing with B&B or else u would have anakin suddenly getting that dark armor in episode 3 with no complete explanation, then idmediately after they'd have an excuse to show a breastfeeding scene just to get some more attension, then they throw in...... Darth Maul with no mention of how he's back and everybody acts like it's normal in the film, u notice a few scenes where u can see the lines written on a peice of paper in front of the character. Then ofcourse there would be a lame arse scene where they land on a world equivilent to the wild west and han solo draws versus the boba fett and kills him, who then later returns in episode 5 with a vengance plot for shooting off his left trigger finger forcing him to use only 1 gun. Things would degenrate from this point till u see a huge crazy battle with an army of dark jedi dessed in reborn outfits all killing the jedi. Luke and Leia would apear as full adults on alderaan (which would look like a temperate forest with some cardboard structures) with a lame arsed seperation scene with tears and bad acting and not even the same actors.

Okay I'm getting way way offtopic. Stating their opinion is fine but saying "OMG THIS SUCKS, DIE LUCAS" gets on ones nerves, do it in a calm manner, there are less matt lines in your favorite film, it's not the end of the world

Because I don't feel like writing everything down again, I'm going to quote my posts in the OTHER Star Wars DVD edition thread. ;)

Tee-Hee....Penny Arcade clowns on Lucas: 

20040922l.jpg

While Scott Kurtz at PvP is somewhat nicer: 

pvp20040921.gif

The first one, though extremely sarcastic (everyone knows there's no GAYS in the Star Wars universe....that would be TERRIBLE) fits my feelings as to why I wasn't gonna buy the raped version of the OT anyway.  ;)

Also, Gabe has unleashed the new Meow Skywalker wallpaper.  Now you too can go "bat**** ****ing loco."*  :D

*wallpaper linked to is in 1280x1024 size, go to the main page for two other resolutions.

your explanation doesn't make sense because there are two other Jedis in that picture who look exactly like in the moment of their death.

No, your explanation doesn't make sense. If Obi-Wan and Yoda look the way they do because that is how they looked when they died, then Anakin should also look the way he did when he died. He should appear as a ghost in the black Vader suit minus helmet looking all crusty and scarred. It never made any sense to show and older, unscarred version of Anakin at the end of the film, because that version of Anakin never existed. The original ending is the flawed ending because it completely absolves Anakin of any guilt by showing him how he would have looked if his Darth Vader persona never happened. Showing him as a young man before he was consumed by the dark side may not be to your liking, but showing him as an unscarred old man wearing Jedi robes makes even less sense.

And what irks me most with this theory is that Jedi now get taken over by the dark side and not because they choose willfully to take the easy, fast path

No, no, no. Like I said before, this is NOT what Lucas means and is a poor understanding on your part. Those who choose to submit to the dark side are consumed by the power of the dark side, but this does NOT mean he is possessed. Their is a huge difference which you seem unable to understand. It's like a drug addict - once they become addicted it is really difficult from them to stop, and they might do things they otherwise wouldn't have done were it not for there addiction, but that does NOT mean they are not responsible for their actions. Anakin committed acts that he might otherwise not have if he hadn't been consumed by the power of the dark side, but there is NOTHING in the film to support your silly idea that he has been possessed by some kind of dark side spirit.

I agree that anakin didnt need changing in the first place, im just glad he didnt replace alec guiness with ewan, but just to argue. What does it matter what your ghost looks like? its just a representation anyway! i think that because it is look looking at the "ghosts" they should appear how he remembers them. Hopefully if liam neelson is in episode 3 as a "ghost" then they may inlighten us to what the point is?

As for Jar jar in rotj where is he? i think they should have relesed the original trilogy alongside this one just to see what would sell better, i only own the original a new hope video, so can hardly remember the original tesb and rotj especially as the bbc now only shows the new versions.

marketting costs for 2 trilogies rather then just one when the differences are minor would probaly outwheigh the profits, besides Lucas feels that his new version is more complete why would he want to release an incomplete version of his masterpeice. Jar Jar is rumored to be at the end "rejoicing" scene of ROTJ, though I doubt he lived all the way into that era and kept the same voice, he might have been killed as retribution for giving palpatine supreme power or he might have gone into the background.