ABC Miniseries....The Lost

Child of Flame

Man, originally I just watched this because I was bored, and my family was...but I was pleasantly surprised...

I came into it expecting a multi-'castaway' (Tom Hanks movie) and or Survivor drama ripoff....that is until in the middle of the night.....there's trees a'fallin', and noises similar to a mix between the Predator language, and the Velociraptors in Jurassic Park. It owns man. I was a little disappointed though, that having been set after Jurassic Park, that these people were dumb enough to leave the safety of the completely stationary, Jetliner husk....with the 'creature' right outside, after having seen the pilot just ripped out of the front of the cockpit through the broken window, with accompanying blood spatter. :D Then, not only does the dumb broad 'damsel in distress' get lost......but she freaking screams for help....even though the 'creature' is apparently nowhere near her. I have already drawn three conclusions for possible series finales for this miniseries:

A ) The Jurassic Park movies were more of a historical fiction docudrama than a Sci-Fi thriller. They have stumbled onto one of the several cloning islands...and are being hunted by dinosaurs.

B ) They are being stalked by one of the Predator aliens....the falling trees can be explained by the plasmacaster, and/or other Predtech weapons, perhaps the pistol, or the remote bombs. The only problem with this theory is though the body of the pilot certainly looked skinned, and was sitting amongst the treetops.....he wasn't hung by the hamstrings in typical Predator display fashion. Although, considering the timeframe, I guess the Pred might not have had time to fully doctor his kill.

C ) They're being stalked by the Chupacabras. They will capture one live, and when eventually rescued, they will be hailed as heroes.

D ) This is perhaps the most outlandish, but I would offer mad props to the creators if it was true......It's all a hoax, this is the newest Reality TV Show, a mix of Scare Tactics, Survivor, and whatever other shows that fit with this genre would work with.....all of it is staged...they're just messing with these people's minds. :lol:

Anyhow, it's certainly 'interesting'. :p

I really liked it. It reminds me of a story by Algernon Blackwood entitled "The Willows". In that story, two men are in an isolated area in Hungary, on the Danube river, which is forested by willow trees. The men are beset by strange invisible forces, something like great crashing or stomping winds, and odd things happen. It's incredibly tense and atmospheric, and one of my favourite short stories.

Anyways. I'll be watching the show for as long as it's on.

newlogo.gif

So, any theories yet?

Hrm....I don't think it comes on again until midweek....

O, the 2nd part of the pilot hasn't aired yet? I DL them to watch em.

Good thing I didn't post my theory yet, spoilers and such

Maybe in some parts of the world it has. But I posted that thread as soon as I saw the first one....and that's now five days ago....so I'd surmise that it will air on Wednesday just like I saw the first one. You can get them off the internet before they even air? I really need highspeed. ;)

It airs on Wednesdays and I'll watch it then. I can't be bothered to download tv shows, unless I miss an episode.

actually, I tend to use it to watch old shows (or just old seasons of running shows) that I hear are good but never really watched.

Like right now I'm watching Scrubs. Good, but man o man do they reuse jokes and just "forget" about large plot lines.

Watching it right now...seems pretty interesting.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Polar Bear? Interesting...I was really hoping the redneck guy would just get killed.

The missing prisoner was a bit obvious...she was the only one without a backstory left. Although I'm curious what she did, maybe she was a teacher and she slept with her 13 year old student. I hear Barbara Walters will be on the next episode.

I like how it's setting up polarisations (no pun intended regarding the bear). The redneck and the Iraqi and the fellow who had a friend fight in the Gulf war against the armies the Iraqi was part of, and the older fellow with the backgammon game telling the black kid about two sides, light and dark. There's some very neat stuff being threaded together in this show, and I'm curious how it's going to play out.

I have a number of vaguely-defined theories of what could be going on, but it could be anything. There's a definite Forbidden Planet vibe to this, with the "id monster" from that film (also widely believed to be an interpretation of Shakespeare's The Tempest - which opens up a whole other area of potenial theories for the show).

We shall see.

newlogo.gif

BTW, is this supposed to be a mini-series, or an actual series?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

It's an actual series, so I hear. It must have an intended story arc though, with a certain number of episodes/seasons planned. I can't see it being open-ended and just continuing on.

actually I was reading an interview JJ did and he thought the possibilites (in terms on # of shows) were endless. I mean, you have tons of back story to cover about the main characters and you can make new main guys because there are other people on the island besides the ones the show is currently focusing on. I mean, Alias has been on the same main plot (Some, including myself, would say "stuck" on the same plot) for 3 seasons now. I actaully stopped watching early last season, but my point is that this guy doesn't mind beating a dead horse. Tho thankfully he claims season 4 will be different, so maybe he is coming around.

BTW, originally the doctor was supposed to die in the pilot.

BTW, originally the doctor was supposed to die in the pilot.

Instead of the pilot?

didn't say, but makes sense

They just said they really liked the guy (from "party of 5") and decided to bring him aboard.

EDIT: FYI, the pilot was a regular on Alias....so it makes sense that if they needed to quickly find someone to die in that scene instead of the doc he would just grab one of his guys from another show :)