Speculations concerning the Opening Sequence

Very much related to the question how we end up with the Ebon Hawk is how the game will start -with that I mean the blessed moment when installation is over, you run the game, with shaking hands, click through character creation, behold the title card 'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away' with a pounding heart, read the rollup entitled "Knights of the Old Republic - Episode II The Sith Lords" as it 'crawls into infinity against the backdrop of the sea of stars'..

and then: what? the classic Star Wars opening sequence in space, of course, but how is that going to relate to us starting on the asteroid? is it going to be a space battle in the vicinity of Peragus? a space freight headed towards the mining facilities? It's unlikely that the main character will start on a seperate ship -isn't he supposed to 'find himself' on Peragus? So, who is it going to be, that will ride the spaceship(s) at the opening sequence? It's only in ESB that the starting sequence in space is restricted to the probe that fires into Hoth, which is really where the film starts. In all other episodes, the film starts inside a spaceship, during some sort of conflict in space, and Kotor followed that example very well. Any ideas as to how the Kotor II opening sequence *in space* will relate to our character and how he find the Ebon Hawk?

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

Well Peragus is already in space so they could simply pan down to the asteroid that the PC is on/in.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

I think I remember them saying that you will be starting out on a ship.

I believe that they said you blacked out on a Republic ship and woke up on Peragus. So they could start off showing the spaceship you were on.

It's also possible it may simple show the asteroid field your in, then focus in to where your character is.

I think I remember them saying that you will be starting out on a ship.

You'll be starting out with T3 making repairs to the Ebon Hawk.

I think the tutorial is optional.

Your both right.

IIRC, the ship takes some damage and the player awakes in the Peragus medical facility (with only underwear, iirc).

At least, that seems to be the case with what we "know"

Well Peragus is already in space so they could simply pan down to the asteroid that the PC is on/in.

I guess that could work; but there needs to be some space vehicle, a probe shooting out, a space battle, a passenger ship getting ready to board, etc. Just imagine the beginning of a SW movie.

I believe that they said you blacked out on a Republic ship and woke up on Peragus. So they could start off showing the spaceship you were on.

perhaps it could be the little 'battle' scene where you're blacked out? Who will be the attackers? :lol:

Though I doubt 'the find yourself in a ship under attack, then crash land' scheme will appear again since obviously that was Kotor 1. Besides it's an astroid, I guess you can only crash into it, not crash-land! If someone safely makes it to the astroid, who's that pilot, then?

Kotor Koans to meditate upon, until the game comes out. :D :D :D

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

off-topic, but is Peragus a new planet/system/place that Obsidian made up? Or did it exist in the Star Wars Universe already?

I always thought it sounded like Pegassus (the horse with wings).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Here's a possible scenario:

First the "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away" + music and the hovering text...

Then, the camera decends down to the Peragus mining station, zooming into a window, revealing two doctors. At first, there's brief moment of silence, the camera zooms out to reveal a bigger corridor where the two doctors are walking towards a door. There's brief talk about the main character, his/her status and medical conditions and some other minor chit-chat about the Sith and the Republic without going into detail about things ended in KotOR I.

The door opens, and the team walks in, seing you lying in bed with all kinds apparatus to go 'ping!'. There's another moment of brief talk about you, how 'mysterious' you are and how incredibly fast your recovering rate is and so on. Just as they are about to start taking samples, you suddenly awake, and story starts from there...

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Good, except it's way too talky for Star Wars methinks, and a lot of time spent talking about things they don't know anything about yet. Actually, that would be fine, if the doctor's weren't the obvious focus.

Perhaps it zooms in on his eyelids while the doctor's talk, into his dream which is sort of cryptic and suspenseful, giving a hint to what will happen. Then he'd want to know what the dream meant, and he might hear about Kreia from Atton and search for her. That's still maybe not active enough; I dunno, guess I'd have to see it.

Good, except it's way too talky for Star Wars methinks, and a lot of time spent talking about things they don't know anything about yet. Actually, that would be fine, if the doctor's weren't the obvious focus.

Perhaps it zooms in on his eyelids while the doctor's talk, into his dream which is sort of cryptic and suspenseful, giving a hint to what will happen. Then he'd want to know what the dream meant, and he might hear about Kreia from Atton and search for her. That's still maybe not active enough; I dunno, guess I'd have to see it.

A dream? I'm not so sure about that, since the main character in KotOR had those too, it would feel to unoriginal IMO.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Sorry, I still think yours is too talky. I was trying to combine ideas, but evidently you'll have none of it.

Too talkative? maybe. They could always do different camera angles to show that they're doctors and that they are working for the republic and it's on Peragus.

Don't take my critizism too personally, i just want Sith Lords to have a story on its own, and leaving as much as possible that would be considered copy+paste from KotOR 1 aside.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

off-topic, but is Peragus a new planet/system/place that Obsidian made up? Or did it exist in the Star Wars Universe already?

I always thought it sounded like Pegassus (the horse with wings).

Peragus is a fuel mining system. It was once a "normal" planet, until miner's accidentally blew up a good chunk of it when the fuel was ignited. Some of the debris still contains extractable fuel, and instead of risking another disaster they decided to extract from the new asteroidal debris instead. The pplace you start in is one of those asteroids.

Whatever it is the Sith will probably desrtoy it along with the next two places you visit like in KOTOR (Endar Spire, Taris, Dantooine). Really you know how those Sith get when they play with laser cannons.

iceman1731.jpg

Very much related to the question how we end up with the Ebon Hawk is how the game will start -with that I mean the blessed moment when installation is over, you run the game, with shaking hands, click through character creation, behold the title card 'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away' with a pounding heart, read the rollup entitled "Knights of the Old Republic - Episode II The Sith Lords" as it 'crawls into infinity against the backdrop of the sea of stars'..

and then: what? the classic Star Wars opening sequence in space, of course, but how is that going to relate to us starting on the asteroid? is it going to be a space battle in the vicinity of Peragus? a space freight headed towards the mining facilities? It's unlikely that the main character will start on a seperate ship -isn't he supposed to 'find himself' on Peragus? So, who is it going to be, that will ride the spaceship(s) at the opening sequence? It's only in ESB that the starting sequence in space is restricted to the probe that fires into Hoth, which is really where the film starts. In all other episodes, the film starts inside a spaceship, during some sort of conflict in space, and Kotor followed that example very well. Any ideas as to how the Kotor II opening sequence *in space* will relate to our character and how he find the Ebon Hawk?

i've beaten the game over 5 times and i've neverd hav read the intro that tells me whats going on

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

After the Star Wars scroll the camera decends down on Peragus as a Jedi fighter is coming out of hyper space. The camera then switches inside the ****pit where we see Kreia contacting Atton on the fighters comm line.

Kreia: Atton do you read me?

Atton: Load and clear Kreia, did you run into any complications.

Kreia: I was able to sneak through the Sith blockade undetected, however, I sense something is not right. I wish not to linger here long. How is he/she?

Atton: He/She is recovering nicely. I have been keeping a close eye on him/her. The droids attending to him/her say she/he could be conscious at any moment.

Kreia: Then there is no time to waste. I... I only hope we are not too late.

Kreia's Jedi fighter is seen landing in a hanger bay on Peragus as the camera pans over to a dense astroid field near by the facility. The Imperial march begins to play and a Sith class destroyer comes out of light speed. The camera then switches inside the Sith destroyer where a Sith Captain is adressing his Commander.

Captain: Commander, we have come out of lightspeed undetected and our tracking insturments indicate the Jedi fighter has landed in the mining facility of Peragus.

Commander: Excellent work Captain. I wish to remain here to montior the situation. Send a detachment of elite commandos down to the facility to await further instructions.

Captain: Yes, Commander, at once.

Commander: Captain, I do not wish the detachment to be detected by the Jedi. I will contact our Lord to ask for his instructions.

Captain: Very well, Commander.

The camera switches inside Peragus with Atton waiting outside Kreia's hanger bay. The hanger bay door opens and Atton steps forward to greet Kreia.

Atton: Kreia..

Kreia interrupts Atton.

Kreia: Atton, I have felt a disturbance in the force. We must act quickly. We haven't much time. Take me to him/her.

The game begins with you waking up inside the infirmary.

I just wanted to have some fun with it.

Cheers!