Cooking Recipes

chemchok

I'm getting sick of the same old grub, would appreciate some recipes from the fellow forum members. Even though I've lived with several people who were unable to boil water, I'm confident someone here must be able to cook a decent meal. Keep it simple and tasty.

So to start off, I'll throw in my recipe for tomato sauce. An all-purpose tomato sauce is extremely versatile, easy to make, and will taste so much better than 99.9% of the premade stuff you'll buy off the supermarket shelf (like Prego/Ragu).

TOMATO SAUCE

-------------------

Ingredients (to serve 2 people):

- 15 oz./425g can of tomato sauce (make sure there's salt already added to it - and any brand will do, Del Monte, Hunts, Goya, etc.)

- olive oil

- tablespoon of basil

- tablespoon of oregano

- teaspoon of parsley

- 1-2 minced cloves of garlic (depends on your preference, start out with 1 if you're unsure)

1. Get a medium saucepan and add enough olive oil to have a relatively thin layer on the bottom. Heat it on a medium/low setting.

2. When the oil heats up add the garlic; sautee and stir it until it takes on a golden color and then *quickly* add the can of sauce **Note**: This is the only "critical" part of the recipe. If you let the garlic sit too long or don't stir it you will burn it-this will completely change the flavour of the sauce so have the can of tomato sauce ready to pour at your side.

3. With the sauce added, add the basil, oregano, and parsley.

4. Stir it well, then bring down the heat to a low setting, cover and let simmer for ~10 minutes, stirring occasionaly. That's it. Add to your favorite pasta or use it for baked ziti/lasagne.

Suggestions:

- If you don't like the amount or type of spices try something different (some grated pecorino romano or parmesan cheese is nice too).

- For a meat sauce, brown a 1/2 lb. of chopmeat in a pan, then add to the sauce after step 3.

- Cook some (as in ~4) strips of bacon, crumble/cut it up, then add it to the sauce after step 3. Toss a handful of frozen peas in at the same time.

- Already cooked porkchops can also be thrown into the mix same as the two examples above.

- You can make a ton of this sauce (just extrapolate the necessary ingredients off the recipe), freeze it, then pop it in the microwave whenever you need it.

Hope someone finds this useful. ;)

I'm getting sick of the same old grub, would appreciate some recipes from the fellow forum members.  Even though I've lived with several people who were unable to boil water, I'm confident someone here must be able to cook a decent meal.  Keep it simple and tasty.

So to start off, I'll throw in my recipe for tomato sauce.  An all-purpose tomato sauce is extremely versatile, easy to make, and will taste so much better than 99.9% of the premade stuff you'll buy off the supermarket shelf (like Prego/Ragu).

TOMATO SAUCE

-------------------

Ingredients (to serve 2 people):

- 15 oz./425g can of tomato sauce (make sure there's salt already added to it - and any brand will do,  Del Monte, Hunts, Goya, etc.)

- olive oil

- tablespoon of basil

- tablespoon of oregano

- teaspoon of parsley

- 1-2 minced cloves of garlic (depends on your preference, start out with 1 if you're unsure)

1. Get a medium saucepan and add enough olive oil to have a relatively thin layer on the  bottom.  Heat it on a medium/low setting.

2.  When the oil heats up add the garlic; sautee and stir it until it takes on a golden color and then *quickly* add the can of sauce **Note**:  This is the only "critical" part of the recipe.  If you let the garlic sit too long or don't stir it you will burn it-this will completely change the flavour of the sauce so have the can of tomato sauce ready to pour at your side.

3.  With the sauce added, add the basil, oregano, and parsley. 

4.  Stir it well, then bring down the heat to a low setting, cover and let simmer for ~10 minutes, stirring occasionaly.  That's it.  Add to your favorite pasta or use it for baked ziti/lasagne.

Suggestions:

- If you don't like the amount or type of spices try something different (some grated pecorino romano or parmesan cheese is nice too).

- For a meat sauce, brown a 1/2 lb. of chopmeat in a pan, then add to the sauce after step 3.

- Cook some (as in ~4) strips of bacon, crumble/cut it up, then add it to the sauce after step 3.  Toss a handful of frozen peas in at the same time.

- Already cooked porkchops can also be thrown into the mix same as the two examples above.

- You can make a ton of this sauce (just extrapolate the necessary ingredients off the recipe), freeze it, then pop it in the microwave whenever you need it.

Hope someone finds this useful.  :lol:

'Round here we call that Spaghetti Sauce pardner. I'll try and raid the Family Recipe box tomorrow. Some really, really good recipes in there. :(

Hrm...haven't eaten most of these recipes....since they're mostly fifty or more years old....but this one sounded good....these days, my family does cooking by feel...it'shard to explain unless you've done it. ;)

Fudge Marble

1/2 c Lite or Dark Corn Syrup

1/2 c evaporated milk

2 pkg (8 oz) Semi Sweet Chocolate

2 ts vanilla

3/4 c sifted confectioner's sugar

1/3 c Peanut Butter

Line pan with plastic wrap. Use 2 qts of mixture per pan. Mix Corn Syrup & Milk - add chocolate bits, stir consistently. Cook over medium heat until chocolate melts. Remove from heat - stir in vanilla, add sugar. Beat until smooth, with wooden spoon. Spread in pan. Drop Peanut Butter by teaspoon. With knife, swire Peanut Butter. Chill 2 hrs. Invert pan on cutting board, and peel off plastic wrap.

Actually, now that I've read it through, I seem to have some vague childhood memories of this stuff, though it's been ten years since my grandmother passed on, so your guess is as good as mine. Wish I could find my OTHER grandmother's recipe box, as I'm more familiar with hers, as she's still alive.....I'll look for that one later....

In other new about this box, a rather insane bit of history, is my grandmother on my dad's side kept the budget in here too:

Rent: $11

Food: $12

Utilities: Telephone/Electricity/Gas-$2 Heat-$5---> Total-$7

Church: $2

Insurance: $2

Car: $3

Amusement: $5

Wishing for these prices today: Priceless. :blink:

my family does cooking by feel...it'shard to explain unless you've done it.

Yeah, I guessed the amounts for the tomato sauce, or spaghetti sauce as you and my girlfriend prefer. ;)

Maybe I'll try out the fudge this weekend... and that utility bill is looking pretty sweet.

Is any one like Chinese food?

Do you mean

American Chinese food

European Chinese food

or

Chinese Chinese food?

There is a difference.

what is the difference among the American Chinese food,European chinese food and Chinese Chinese food(True Chinese food)?

Chinese food is BEST food in the world.

If I tell you I'm good

You would probably think I'm boasting

If I tell you I'm no good

You know I'm lying

---Bruce Lee

My mom has tons of cooking mags so heres one from Bon Appetit

Sweet and Spicy Chipotle-Glazed Ribs

2 Servings

1 2-pound rack baby back pork ribs

1/4 cup canned chipotle chiles*

3/4 cup red currant jelly

5 tablespoons popergrante molasses**

1/4 cup low-salt chiken broth

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line rimmed baking sheet with foil;place metal rack on sheet. Sprinkle ribs all over with salt and pepper;place, meat side down,on rack

Press chiles through sieve into heavy small saucepan (discard solids in sieve). Add remaning ingredients to pan. Stir to blend over medium heat until sause comes to boil. Season souce to taste with salt. transfer 1/2 cup sause to small bowl and reserve.

Brush ribs with 2 tablespoons sauce from pan. Turn ribs over;brush with 2 tablespoons sauce. roast until very tender, brushing with 2 tablespoons sauce every 15 minutes, about 1 1/2 hours. cut rack into individula ribs. Serve ribs with reseved sauce.

German Pancakes!!!

6 eggs

1 c flour

1 c milk

1 tsp vanilla

pinch of salt

whip it really good, thats what makes it rise...

melt butter (however much you want... don't go overboard) pour into cake pan, pour in mixture...

bake 400 degrees for 20 min.

taste great with powdered sugar and syrup... or jams... whatever...

Smoked Salmon pasta sauce :o

2 packets of smoked salmon (or, in fact, however much you want)

1 tub of creme fraiche

1 pack of mushrooms (or any amount you want really)

a teeeny bit of oil

Ok, this is really basic and easy to make but it tastes so good :lol:

Put a small amount of oil into a medium sized pan, and stick in the mushrooms (cut them down to any size you want, or not at all). Cook until the mushrooms are boiling in their own juices, then chop the smoked salmon into little bits (i usually go insane here and just attack the smoked salmon packs with a large knife until i get varying sizes of salmon) and throw into the pan. Stir the mixture for about 30 seconds and take off the heat. Pour in the creme fraiche and stir until the mixture is nice and creamy. Add any seasoning you want and stir in with pasta (i find fettucine or spaghetti goes nice with this) and enjoy :)