Sub-Quests and Added Depth please

The original KOTOR was an excellent game that far surpassed my anticipations. It was undoubtedly wonderful. But the game seemed too linear to me. I understand that the player was allowed to choose which order to go to the planets and could return and what not. But aside from finding the starmap at each location (and a few slight deviations) the quests were linear.

In the future I would like to see more quests (lots more) that are completely independent of the primary quest and could very well span multiple planets and lots of time. Also, there should be more quests that are unlocked (or locked) due to the players current alignment.

Also, after completing the final quest allow the player to return through the game world. Which means that the more extra quests then the more the player has to return to.

As much as I loved the orignial is simply lacked the depth of other RPGs. The main quest was great, but there really wasn't much more. I know the guys at Obsidian can do it, they've done it before. At least, the members of Obsidian have.

Depth before graphics.

The most important for RPG games is the story. You may have superior graphics, superior combat system, superior voices, superior gameplay, and if the story sucks you have nothing. K1 has good main story and not so good side quests - hope K2 will have both exceptional. There is a lot of room for this. Even two completely different stories can be made for LS and DS ending in K1. Thus we reach the idea to have two different games in one :p . May be someday it will happen :)

Nik.

Just a note, I don't think sidequests make a game non-linear. It just gives you extra stuff to do.

Linearity has to do with how you play through the story, and perhaps more specifically the sequence you play through the story. Games that provide multiple solutions to problems are non-linear, or allowing you to perform quests in a different order.

I still consider Baldur's Gate to be an excruciatingly linear game....just one with lots of sidequests.

Just a note, I don't think sidequests make a game non-linear. It just gives you extra stuff to do.

Linearity has to do with how you play through the story, and perhaps more specifically the sequence you play through the story. Games that provide multiple solutions to problems are non-linear, or allowing you to perform quests in a different order.

I still consider Baldur's Gate to be an excruciatingly linear game....just one with lots of sidequests.

ok, that is true. Poor choice of words on my behalf. But if you think about it almost any game is likely going to be linear to some extent (especially an RPG b/c they are so dependent upon the story).

But I still think that side quests add great depth, much needed depth.

It just seemed like KOTOR was all about the primary story and did not diverge very much. So many things in the game were done so wonderfully, yet the game was very short and really had very little replay value (once light side, once dark side). Baldur's Gate 2 had so much replay value, it was ridiculous.

I think FU said they wouldn't just add sidequests for the purpose of adding sidequests. So, in a sense, I think most of the sidequests are there because they are supposed to directly add something to the gaming experience.

I expect KOTOR:TSL to follow much of the formula that KOTOR was based around. Instead of Star Maps, we'll have Sith Temples.

And as far as continuing to play after we beat the game, the devs have said it's not going to happen.

I'd like to see sidequests have more of an affect on the game, such as NPCs talking about them, going away for a while, etc. I'd really like to see BG2-style ownership of different structures depending on your class (If you don't remember, Fighters could get a stronghold, Mages a Planar Sphere, Paladins a spot in the Radiant Heart temple, etc). I'd have liked to own the Sith Academy in KotOR, even though storywise it was impossible (would Malak really allow Revan to own his academy?)

Sidequests are definitely a good thing though, like Thief 3's wandering the city... Many a time I was caught up in a battle between Hammerites and Pagans. Sidequests help to break the flow, and keep you entertained and not bored. A useful thing for a game.

I'm somewhat hoping the story itself turns out to be slightly less formulaic than the first. Replacing Star Maps with Sith Temples just sounds annoying. They did a decent job of making the retrieval of the different star maps substantially different, but something more cinematic would be nice. I guess you'd probably have to make it more linear, though, oh well.