Lucas' view on the "remakes" & possible TV series

GhostofAnakin

Lucas talks

A couple of interesting comments:

Q: Why not release both the originals and special editions on DVD?

LUCAS: The special edition, that's the one I wanted out there. The other movie, it's on VHS, if anybody wants it. ...

I'm not going to spend the, we're talking millions of dollars here, the money and the time to refurbish that, because to me, it doesn't really exist anymore. It's like this is the movie I wanted it to be, and I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it. But I want it to be the way I want it to be.

I'm the one who has to take responsibility for it. I'm the one who has to have everybody throw rocks at me all the time, so at least if they're going to throw rocks at me, they're going to throw rocks at me for something I love rather than something I think is not very good, or at least something I think is not finished.

And...

Q: Do you pay much attention to fan reactions to your choices?

LUCAS: Not really. The movies are what the movies are. ... The thing about science-fiction fans and "Star Wars" fans is they're very independent-thinking people. They all think outside the box, but they all have very strong ideas about what should happen, and they think it should be their way. Which is fine, except I'm making the movies, so I should have it my way.

And about a possible continuation of Star Wars:

Q: After "Episode III," will you ever revisit "Star Wars"?

LUCAS: Ultimately, I'm going to probably move it into television and let other people take it. I'm sort of preserving the feature film part for what has happened and never go there again, but I can go off into various offshoots and things.

You know, I've got offshoot novels, I've got offshoot comics. So it's very easy to say, "Well, OK, that's that genre, and I'll find a really talented person to take it and create it." Just like the comic books and the novels are somebody else's way of doing it. I don't mind that. Some of it might turn out to be pretty good. If I get the right people involved, it could be interesting.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I think a Star Wars television series would be interesting. Lucas has said that he'd give the reins over to other people, so that could really breathe new life into the franchise.

I'd watch it for at least a season to give it a chance. If it's good, it'll be cancelled and if it's crap, it'll stay on, so either I'll get a good short-run show or something I don't need to watch; either way the committment is small.

newlogo.gif

Hey, it couldn't be worse that half the crap that is on now. We have 4 Law and Orders, 3 CSI's, more than a dozen or so boring reality TVs, a bunch of teenage angsty dramas, and more than a good share of other barely adequate science fiction shows on the television.

The Star Wars TV show will find a good home amongst the lameness of the television wasteland.

I think a Star Wars television series would be interesting.

Four Words:

Star Wars Holiday Special

These words alone are enough to send me screaming to the hills at the thought of a SW TV show.

Lucas talks

LUCAS: Not really. The movies are what the movies are. ... The thing about science-fiction fans and "Star Wars" fans is they're very independent-thinking people. They all think outside the box, but they all have very strong ideas about what should happen, and they think it should be their way. Which is fine, except I'm making the movies, so I should have it my way.

Except of course George didn't make Episode V and VI...

Well, he did write and produce them. He had more a hand in making them than the directors did, really.

He co-wrote Jedi, because the guy who wrote Empire died after finishing the 1st draft of Jedi, so George went in and patched it up. The best one in the trilogy was the one he had the least involvement in.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg