KOTOR III

Hey I jus visted gamespot and see an article about episode 3 on xbox and in the news section it mentions KOTOR III.

you guys prolly seen it already, I jus thought it was crazy that they was actually starting KOTOR III in the first place lol

Shame it's now stalled though do to the lay offs <_<

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/starwa...ws_6104775.html

The fact that LucasArts would even begin development of KOTOR III before KOTOR II has even been released is cause enough for concern.

Also, the fact that KOTOR III seems to be an in-house development project makes it even more cause for concern.

Note to LA: leave the development of games to those who are actually good at it. :)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The fact that LucasArts would even begin development of KOTOR III before KOTOR II has even been released is cause enough for concern.

Also, the fact that KOTOR III seems to be an in-house development project makes it even more cause for concern. 

Note to LA: leave the development of games to those who are actually good at it.  :)

Didn't they start KOTOR 2 before KOTOR 1 was done?

Note to LA: leave the development of games to those who are actually good at it.  :)

I was under the assumption that Obsidian started work on it before KOTOR 1 was done.

In any case, my point is that LucasArts seems to be getting ahead of itself and taking on more than it can handle. Which was probably one of the reasons for the restructuring.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I was under the assumption that Obsidian started work on it before KOTOR 1 was done.

In any case, my point is that LucasArts seems to be getting ahead of itself and taking on more than it can handle. Which was probably one of the reasons for the restructuring.

Yah...and this was right when LA might have been getting better too...I mean compare how many good games they've made with how many good games they've made in the last 2 years. I think LA realized they were actually doing something well and got so excited they tried to slate too many things.

I think LA realized they were actually doing something well and got so excited they tried to slate too many things.

You mean like promising things they couldn't deliver on? :):p

Well they've always done that...I mean they used to say they'd make good games and look at earlier LA games!

Before the release of the Xbox version.

Let me see if I remember the chain of events. I first talked with Simon Jeffrey, the President of LucasArts at the time, about the possibility of doing the product in late April of last year. We met at E3 to talk about the budget and some of our initial thoughts about doing it. Most of the owners and a couple of other people had quit Interplay by June and we were working out of my Attic - that was a lot fun particularly when the A/C couldn't keep up with us.

It was during June and July that we came up with the story, characters and the planets we were going to use. In about the third week of August the contract got signed, three guys from Bioware came down to show us how the engine worked for a few days and then we moved into our office space.

We've been off at the races ever since. :p

Feargus Urquhart

CEO

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

Note to LA: leave the development of games to those who are actually good at it.  ;)

I agree this "setback" may be a blessing is disguise, I wasn't too thrilled either when I heard Lucasarts was initially going to develop it in-house. If KOTOR 2 turns out to as or even more successful then its predecessor then it might now mean that obsidian or maybe even Bioware could get the KOTOR 3 development which would in my opinion be much better then Lucasarts developing it themselves.

yeah i don't want it in-house either. But i think the 3rd one needs an engine upgrade, and the sooner they start the better though...i don't want a huge gap between the games

Hopefully Bio will lease out their Jade Empire engine... ^_^

Jade Empire would be X-Box only, besides their new Dragon Age Engine looks much more promising.

yeah i don't want it in-house either. But i think the 3rd one needs an engine upgrade, and the sooner they start the better though...i don't want a huge gap between the games

Seeing as how Microsoft seems to have such a strong say in matters, my guess is KOTOR III (if it is made) won't be out until Bill Gates decides to release XBox 2. So I think the better estimate of when work on the new KOTOR will begin is when XBox 2 is slated to hit shelves.

Before the release of the Xbox version. 

Let me see if I remember the chain of events.  I first talked with Simon Jeffrey, the President of LucasArts at the time, about the possibility of doing the product in late April of last year.  We met at E3 to talk about the budget and some of our initial thoughts about doing it.  Most of the owners and a couple of other people had quit Interplay by June and we were working out of my Attic - that was a lot fun particularly when the A/C couldn't keep up with us.

It was during June and July that we came up with the story, characters and the planets we were going to use.  In about the third week of August the contract got signed, three guys from Bioware came down to show us how the engine worked for a few days and then we moved into our office space.

We've been off at the races ever since. :rolleyes:

Wow. Seems like deep conspiracy to me.

My opinion is that LA should first release expansion disc for KOTOR 1 made by Obsidian (that would add 2 new taris-size planets and eventually also fix most of bugs like the one with bastila that is doomed to fall whatever you'll not do, or with malak leviathan fight etc) and later give you to develop KOTOR 2 TSL for 2006-2007 release

That's why Neverwinter Nights is superior to KOTOR - this game is evolving it has a lot of mods and official expansions, second part will surely overshadow KOTOR 2.

KOTOR series is a closed coffin. Part one gone gold and finished - no official expansions, no modding etc. Additionally Neverwinter Nights is more coherent to Forgotten Realms than KOTOR is to Star Wars. Bioware made more than many errors. I only mention unfortunate Naga Sadow tomb on Korriban....

I don't believe in hurry and despite I believe in guys that produced Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale I don't believe that you'll not make flaws in such fast-release pressure. KOTOR 1 was in production for 3 years and yet it has a lot of weaknesses.

That's why I'm glad that PC version will go gold later.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

What happened to the days where LA was smart? First, if they ditch whatever they worked on in KOTOR III, that just wasted time and effort, which could have been placed on KOTOR II. Second, they thought of KOTOR III before they even knew if KOTOR II would die thanks to their lying. I dont have much more to add now....

I'm all in favor of KotOR sequels, provided they live up to the quality of the original.

Obsidian really has their work cut out for them if they hope to provide an experience as good as the original KotOR, and I'm kind of worried. I am especially worried that Obsidian will try to "mainstream" the game and that they will "dumb it down" to appeal to a broader audience. I also hope they don't listen much to most player suggestions.

It's a shame that the KotOR III team got canned, but then again, in-house development of KotOR III might not be such a great idea. If they do make a KotOR III, I think the development should either go back to BioWare, or it should go to Obsidian (depending, of course, on how well Obsidian does with KotOR II)

I'm all in favor of KotOR sequels, provided they live up to the quality of the original. 

Obsidian really has their work cut out for them if they hope to provide an experience as good as the original KotOR, and I'm kind  of worried.  I am especially worried that Obsidian will try to "mainstream" the game and that they will "dumb it down" to appeal to a broader audience.  I also hope they don't listen much to most player suggestions.

It's a shame that the KotOR III team got canned, but then again, in-house development of KotOR III might not be such a great idea.  If they do make a KotOR III, I think the development should either go back to BioWare, or it should go to Obsidian (depending, of course, on how well Obsidian does with KotOR II)

The folks at Obsidian are the same people responsible for some of the best RPGs in recent memory. Bioware did a great job with KOTOR, but I have every confidence that Obsidian's version will outshine the original in every way. If you haven't already done so, pick up a copy of Planescape: Torment on E-bay. It should set you back all of $5 - $10. Play it, and you will understand.

MadMalachi

If you haven't already done so, pick up a copy of Planescape: Torment on E-bay.  It should set you back all of $5 - $10.  Play it, and you will understand.

This is way off topic, but where are all these cheap games? Every bidding war I see ends up bumping the price up over $15 US at the bare minimum.

If you haven't already done so, pick up a copy of Planescape: Torment on E-bay.  It should set you back all of $5 - $10.  Play it, and you will understand.

This is way off topic, but where are all these cheap games? Every bidding war I see ends up bumping the price up over $15 US at the bare minimum.

Hmm...

Just checked E-bay, and there's several copies for sale. Some of them are rather overpriced, but one of them is $8 and change with 17 hours to go... Well worth it, but that's only my opinion.

MadMalachi

We started working on KOTOR2 a little before the release of KOTOR1, but not by a lot.

Hm that's interesting I was under the impression that sequels were generally only made after the first one has proved to sell very well? Why is it that work was started on the second one before the first one was done, did they just know they had a hit on their hands?