skill progression

Using their current model, this suggestion probably won't make the cut... but still:

It bothers me in RPGs when you can gain XPs for your skills/powers by hacking away at some enemies. It simply doesn't make sense. Take for example force stun. You get that at the first level... and then after you cut up some more bad guys... all of a sudden you are able to freeze a guy with that power (force stasis).

Instead, it would make more sense if your progression thru the skill tree (i.e force stun -> force stasis -> stasis field) was entirely contingent upon using that skill. The more you used it/practiced it, and the more it was used on enemies the more effective and progressed it would be. This would give you the opportunity to really see your character progress, vs. just gaining points by killing people and spreadnig them across your entire skills. If you want to get better at using the computer... you need to use it. If you want to use duel lightsabres, then you need to practice using both... not simply be granted the ability b/c you have been playing the game for "x" ammount of time.

Does this bother anyone else?

Using their current model, this suggestion probably won't make the cut... but still:

It bothers me in RPGs when you can gain XPs for your skills/powers by hacking away at some enemies. It simply doesn't make sense. Take for example force push. You get that at the first level... and then after you cut up some more bad guys... all of a sudden you are able to freeze a guy with that power (force stasis).

Instead, it would make more sense if your progression thru the skill tree (i.e force push -> force stasis -> stasis field) was entirely contingent upon using that skill. The more you used it/practiced it, and the more it was used on enemies the more effective and progressed it would be. This would give you the opportunity to really see your character progress, vs. just gaining points by killing people and spreadnig them across your entire skills. If you want to get better at using the computer... you need to use it. If you want to use duel lightsabres, then you need to practice using both... not simply be granted the ability b/c you have been playing the game for "x" ammount of time.

Does this bother anyone else?

Force push isn't in the stasis tree. It's force push -> force whirlwind -> force wave. And Stun -> Stasis ->Stasis Field.

iceman1731.jpg

While that is a good idea, it doesn't fit in this game. As this is a D20 system and that progression is prettymuch anti D20... However, in other PnP systems (unisystem and some others I think) it is recomended for good roleplaying that you upgrade things that you use (because you practice) in the story.