Love in KOTOR 2

I like romances in games, but I prefer them to be as well-done as possible. BG is one of the best examples while most other romances I've encountered in games so far have been a little... bleak. But I think that for the most part, the romance thing isn't treated too seriously by the devs and thus they seldom come out too well, which is truly a pity :/.

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

Final Fantasy?  I know it was console, but....

I don't think so... The idea of creating romances in games came first from Japan, I'm certain, but not from Final Fantasy.

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

There are people who are indifferent

There are people who hate romances and do not tolerate them.

There are people who hate romances and tolerate them.

There are people who love romances but don't need them.

There are people who love romances and consider them a vital part of the game.

You can't move someone from one category to another through reason or emotional pleas. However, there's no reason to tell people they need to get a life because they enjoy game elements you don't.

That said, I'm pretty sure they'll have romances and more than one per gender. I don't know if they'll have same sex one and, if they do, they'll have to sneak them past Lucas Arts so I doubt it will be better than that in KotOR

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

The option to tear the heart out of optimistic wannabe romances is always an entertaining passtime. Especially if you put them down in the most comedic way possible. Perhaps if Juhani could have been convinced to commit suicide I wouldnt have slaughtered her in all subsequent replays of the game.

Romance in games is quite often ham-fisted and only makes the player cringe with embarrassment. The whole "tragic loss" thing is always a bit irritating. Like when you can see through the "happy couple" of npcs who're having a wonderful romance then one of them gets blasted as a planet explodes blah blah blah.

Unless there's some kind of relivance to the plot and not some silly reward at the end of some obscure conversation tree like "0mg I t3h luv yuo!" unless, of course, it's used properly when that person is dying.

The romances of various RPGs of the past few years, from fallout to baldur's gate 2, to KOTOR, have been nothing but entertaining to me. In fallout I enjoyed getting caught comitting abhorrent acts of sodomy with the farmer's son, marrying him at a shotgun wedding, and then selling him out as a fluffer in new reno. In baldur's gate I enjoyed the character development aspect it brought in, same for KOTOR.

I have never encountered a CRPG with a poorly done "romance" aspect, primairly because i've never played a CRPG featuring romance that wasn't done by black isle or bioware. Fallout 2 had the most simple one, but it made up for that with the versatility and sheer hilarity.

I don't know where some of you aquired this notion that people who want to see more of this kind of character development "don't have lives". It's just a game, "romances", especially comical same sex romances, contribute greatly to the immersion, as long as it's well done. And I fully expect a team with the fantastic resume that obsidian has to pull it off with flying colors.

More options the better IMO. More options means more ways to play. If it's forced onto to someone I can understand them disliking it but I don't really understand why having the option(s) do so is always looked down on. If you dislike how it's done then don't do it. The romance being done well or not is subjective and will be different from person to person. Some will like it and others won't.

As long as it remains relivant to the story and not some tagged-in rubbish. In Kotor it can be used as a lever against Bastila, so it was ok. It didn't feature prominently either, even though the relationship was entirely expected from the first moment "connection" was mentioned.

As long as it remains relivant to the story and not some tagged-in rubbish. In Kotor it can be used as a lever against Bastila, so it was ok. It didn't feature prominently either, even though the relationship was entirely expected from the first moment "connection" was mentioned.

Important to the story or not,as long as you in no way have to deal with it if you don't want too,what does it matter?

You might dislike it,while others might love it. Long as it's an option how does it really have anything to do with how you play the game?

Nothing wrong with a love story as long as it's entirely optional.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Nothing wrong with a love story as long as it's entirely optional.

Optinal being a very important/key word there. Options allow for a more in depth game and playing experience.

Yes it does, but it also can weaken the storyline. A strong storyline often = less options, lots of options = sh1tty storyline. I hope that Obsidian knows how to balance those two.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yes it does, but it also can weaken the storyline. A strong storyline often = less options, lots of options = sh1tty storyline. I hope that Obsidian knows how to balance those two.

That all depends on what options are added and where they're added. It's possible to add a large number of options without killing the story.

I think it would be cool if you could fall in love with any npc.

Agreed for the most part.

Even the aliens.

Same as above.

And maybe a droid; like that lady on Dantooine.

..er.. :rolleyes:

Whatever floats your boat I guess...