How to hold a lightsabre. Kotor 1 got this wrong.

xG-9

Hmmm not sure if a lightsabre blade would have any weight to it.  There would possibly be air resistance though which would definately give a "feel" to the blade moving through the air.

I doubt there would be air resistance as the blade is made of 'light', it would just be like swinging a torch around, you feel no resistance against the beam.

And if my memory serves me I was reading somewhere, the fact that the blade is weightless is what actually makes the lightsaber so dangerous for a non-force user to wield.

Maybe there is a counter weight or something incorporated into the hilt to maybe give some sense of blade mass.

Interesting topic but it's too late for such improvements. Game is in fact almost ready.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Maybe there is a counter weight or something incorporated into the hilt to maybe give some sense of blade mass.

This is the theory I currently ascribe to. Otherwise the balance would be absolutely horrendous.

I think they use the force to give the blade balance, and force. It would make since, and it would explain why non force users can't ever truly master the thing. (although, i've read there was a non force sensitive jedi before...)

Anyway, I belive the Jedi, use the force to kind of push there blades... I mean, the crystals they use do have special force proprites, and i've read somewhere that a Jedi can littilerey feel his lightsaber, like it's an extension of himself.

That's what i think. :D

KingSnake.

"I think they use the force to give the blade balance, and force. It would make since, and it would explain why non force users can't ever truly master the thing."

Didn't Kenobi say in Ep IV that lightsabers used to be common throughout the galaxy once? I don't think jedi were ever found in large enough numbers to be called 'common'.

(And EU fanbois, do me a favor and shut up - I don't care what the EU says, it's not canon.)

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

If you stab someone in stomach, they're as good as dead. Sure, they may be able to breath and will wriggle, but they're not gonna get up. Study medicine if you doubt me.

edit: Besides, once you got the blade inside, you might as well slash it out. After all, lightsabers are 'sharp'.

well actually no hes right. the lightsaber generates heat slot of heat so if you are stabbed in the gut it would caterise the wound, thus stopping any bleeding from happening. Although if the lightsaber stabbed the stomach there would be to holes one in front and one in back that are caterized. But since the lightsaber put a hole in the stomach the stomach acids would spillout and eat through the catarized areas thus killing the victim of the stab would.

So your both right. The whole process would just take awhile to happen and the stabbe could still be a threat if hes got the will to be. Or is hopped up enough on drugs that he didn't even feel/care about the stab wound.

trust me about the drug thing...scary when you unload a clip into a criminals gut and he can still operate fine enough to be a major threat...

The thing about the lightsabers is that they lend themselves to pretty much any style of attack, be it slashing lunging or whatever, because the whole "blade" is "sharp".

Now I dont know much about fencing or Kenjustsu or whatever but I do know some physycs, the reason that the blade cuts, besides its edge is its momentum, which its defined by its mass, if the blade were truly wheightless it would demand a different style of use, as the blade would not create any resistance or give you any sense of weight, it would be like using only a hilt.

BTW, katanas do have momentum and speed, the technique is what gives it the momentum and speed by using your body and weight  to leverage the katana, but this works because the katana also has weight, the blade's weight is what "channels" your momentum and technique.

In reality it doesnt really matter how much momentum you would give a lightsaber, as it doesnt need it, the katanas and other real swords do. You could swing at any speed and still cut the same (as alanschu so well put), as opposed to a katana, this is the same for blocking, as the lightsaber has no weight you could put any strenght in blocking and the lightsaber would block it the same (especially against another lightsaber), as it would not shift the weight on your block and the attack would not have any strenght.  The only thing that truly matters is the speed of your swing so your  attack would hit.

Feel freee to correct me if im wrong, as I said i dont really know too much about fencing, just some things that I have been investigating (more like reading when I casually found it) throughout the years.

See ya later.

You're wrong. Sorry! :) lol you said to say that...It absolutely matters, and very very much so, how you swing one and how you attempt to block a swing. More so than with swords with real, weighted blades.

You're absolutely right that with no weight in the blade (or very little) the blade would have little, or no momentum. You're also right that the blade would cut right through pretty much anything without momentum. But since the blades ARE able to stop each other, everything changes once you get to dueling. Why? Because, as you must know, if a blade strikes another blade, (for this example let's say head-on, right in the middle of the blades) the one with more momentum will win and push the other one back. And if you have far superior momentum you'll pretty much be able to "push through" the block and right into your opponent.

But where does this momentum come from? Your above account seems to suggest that all the momentum in the lightsabre would come from the mass of the blade multiplied by the velocity. (how very Newtonian...) This is absolutely incorrect, esp in a Kenjutsu swing. And this has actually been my point all along.

How can I illustrate this point? ... Hmmm ... ok, say you swing a bat at a baseball that's been thrown and is moving at 100 km/h. You end up hitting the ball and it flies as you'd expect. Now attach a baseball to the front of a car. Drive the car at 100km/h towards the plate. Now hit the baseball, attached to the car, with your bat. What happens?

That's the idea behind a Kenjutsu swing. Imagine the sword as the ball, and your body as the car behind, pushing the ball. So your calculating the momentum of the swing based solely on the momentum of the blade is very wrong, I'm afraid. :) I hope that makes it clearer.

If you stab someone in stomach, they're as good as dead. Sure, they may be able to breath and will wriggle, but they're not gonna get up. Study medicine if you doubt me.

edit: Besides, once you got the blade inside, you might as well slash it out. After all, lightsabers are 'sharp'.

well actually no hes right. the lightsaber generates heat slot of heat so if you are stabbed in the gut it would caterise the wound, thus stopping any bleeding from happening. Although if the lightsaber stabbed the stomach there would be to holes one in front and one in back that are caterized. But since the lightsaber put a hole in the stomach the stomach acids would spillout and eat through the catarized areas thus killing the victim of the stab would.

So your both right. The whole process would just take awhile to happen and the stabbe could still be a threat if hes got the will to be. Or is hopped up enough on drugs that he didn't even feel/care about the stab wound.

trust me about the drug thing...scary when you unload a clip into a criminals gut and he can still operate fine enough to be a major threat...

Very good reasoning. You're spot on! There would likely be very little bleeding but yes the contents of any major internal organ hit would be spilling. And I've seen some very strange things as well ... like I saw, on camera, a criminal get hit by something like 7 slugs from a shotgun and keep on running like nothing happened...go figure. And he definately did take multiple hits to the abdomnial and thoracic regions. Or remember the very recent shooting outside a california courtroom where that lawyer took about 6 shots point blank and walked around to find help...it looked like he hadn't even been hit, though I believe all the hits were to non-critical areas. So yeah I'd suppose that it's possible someone taking a stab wound to the stomach could possibly keep fighting for a while.

As a "Ligtsabre" does not exist i find this a bit mute, having watched the starwars DVD extras about the lightsabre, i know now that it is not light, but instead increadably heavy, and also that many different styles of swordplay are incorporated in the fighting style, but for weaker users of the force a two handed style seems appropriate then single handed, double bladed and dual weilding should be implemented later as the jedi grows in strength.

This isnt reality, their is the FORCE and these are lightsbres (an imaginary weapon) so who are we to jugde if its realistic or not?

As a "Ligtsabre" does not exist i find this a bit mute, having watched the starwars DVD extras about the lightsabre, i know now that it is not light, but instead increadably heavy, and also that many different styles of swordplay are incorporated in the fighting style, but for weaker users of the force a two handed style seems appropriate then single handed, double bladed and dual weilding should be implemented later as the jedi grows in strength.

This isnt reality, their is the FORCE and these are lightsbres (an imaginary weapon) so who are we to jugde if its realistic or not?

It's more of a theoretical debate than you seem to realize...