Please don't do any MMORPG's

I think the MMORPG hype has died out now. Just look at how many of them that have been cancelled in the last couple of months.

I am sure Obsidian knows they have their greatest strength in story writing, and as far as I know, MMORPG's have never been that story-driven. My biggest concern is that Obsidian will bend over to the dark forces and start doing console games only.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The pc has the biggest gaming community now and always, so it wouldnt make sense for them to do console games only.

Say again?

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

*Cough* Bioware *Cough*

You were saying?

Anyway, I don't think Obsidian should do any MMOGs, or will. If they do, all of their writing talent will be wasted, it would be a pain in the butt to try and inovate enough to compete with the big boys, and the only other option would be to copy Guild Wars.

Unless I'm missing something huge when I left the internet for the past week.

"I'm waiting for someone to say something really stupid, and then I can quote them." -Anonymous

the MMORPG industry is hurting itself. THere are so many new ones coming out that no one knows what to get so alot of people get confused and thus don't get any at all.

I heard it costs about 10 million to launch a mmo (that's AFTER development)

I wonder how many companies are going to be hurting because of the mmo rush.

Guest Surlent

There's also high players like Blizzard with its World of Warcraft involved,

I wonder if yet less known companies are willing to tackle with the big players

of the industry.

Obsidian also lacks people and likely the resources to maintain MMORPG servers online.

Like mkreku said, the console games are more likely projects than MMORPGs for Obsidian

and every other game company in the industry.

What the companies need to do is take a step back, wait for the MMORPG business to unswamp itself, wait until they have something groundbreaking and ingenious to contribute, and when the time is ripe make a good game. Too many companies are doing the same thing with a different theme and minor differences.

Ah, the MMO is slightly ahead of it's time anyway. Who would like to pay money monthly for playing a game, even online, that's after buying it, and to enjoy it, they have to get a good internet connection, and most would really like to upgrade their systems after they run their new buy first time. People are really demanding in graphics today, but high quality graphics on a MMORPG will require more resources. Plus there are not enough people who would be able or would want to spend money on that, so an MMO wouldn't really promise enough revenue to cover up the costs. It would be easier and much more enjoyable by polayers after the ".produkkt" technology is complete and out on the market, and it would be wise to wait for big-end industries to get their fiberglass technologies to a decent level, both of them combined would produce greater bandwidth worlds along with much less bandwidth per person, which would supply a dramatic decrease in cost of hosting and transferring data online, which would make a great opportunity for all kinds of MMO's. Moreover, if fiberglass becomes usable for chipsets, there would be a dramatic increase in overall bandwidth and speed of the computer (bandwidth being the amount of data being able to be transferred through the ports and busses.) And as I previously said, the .produkkt will influence the data too. So wait another couple decades, revolutionary technologies are coming up: fiberglass is already in use for networking, while the .produkkt has already shown itself in making a game with video quality of DOOM3 in only 96kb of space.

For those, who don't know, .produkkt, or .theprodukkt is a tool of packing data into extremely small sizes (a game of 96kb in size contains a few levels, with animated models of a considerable number of enemies, a few weapons to use, and a graphic engine of DOOM3 level, all models are highly detailed, and the engine utilizes version 2 shaders, the game comes with good audio part.) The game is called ".kkrieger" The technology is developed by a talented team of german "ultra geeks" (if that means anything to you.)

(And Sony is still working on one-layer 40GB dvd disks and recyclable paper cd and dvd disks.)