Modern music has made a turn for the worse

I don't listen to any discernible music bands anymore.

I spit on bands like metallica and slipknot and nsync and eminem and whatever other stuff you kids listen to now a days.

What the hell happened to music in the last few years? Now it's all bang boom WAHALALALLALLALALALAL :: Scream :: bimdouche bimdouche dernnnnananananana :: sensual female cry :: yo let's bang some ho's yo got them pimps out in da back yard, yo :: random guitar solo ::

Music stopped making sense.

What happened to the good old days when good music was created by educated bards graduating with high honors from professional music schools who wrote their songs in iambic that actually had non-forced rhymes and flowing rhythm?

80% of the "popular" singers can't even read sheet music much less compose!!!

Until they bring back the good old days of bardic melodies like "October Winds" or "Shadows of the Moon" or "You Raised Me Young" or "Goodbye Johnny Dear" or "Norah Lee", I REFUSE to listen to any crap music much less PAY for them.

Artists think they can make easy money by screaming out obscenities instead of graduating from high school while the rest of us had to go to college and get a good education to serve humanity and make less than 10% of what they're making? That's BS. I say, the artists are at fault here. The muscian industry just isn't what it used to be. If all of their songs are 5 minute jobs while smoking weed and dancing naked, then they would EXPECT to have them stolen.

Look at hard-working artists like Margie Butler, SHE's not complaining about people stealing her work, because she actually WENT to music school and worked hard on practicing her voice and instrument, all her life. People respect that.

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

Actually you can blame the record companies. They will only sign and promote bands if they fit this mold. If a band tries to do something original or something against the grain, they either won't get signed or they won't get promoted much. Many older artists from the 60's and 70's say this is the problem nowadays. The music industry has a mold and if you don't fit it you won't make it. It makes more sense to the music industry to keep on producing carbon copies of Britney Spears because it makes more money than promoting someone like Wilco.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

The funny thing about tirades like this is that people have made the exact same complaint (with different names, of course) since the dawn of recorded music. By your standard, music stopped making sense (presumably) long before you were born.

The funny thing about tirades like this is that people have made the exact same complaint (with different names, of course) since the dawn of recorded music. By your standard, music stopped making sense (presumably) long before you were born.

googled some of the song names I provided, have ya?

Word economics

I speak in haiku's.

Why complain? Buy and listen to the music you like. Everyone has different tastes in music, that is why there is such a variety.

On a side note, please don't convert proper nouns into verbs and adverbs. Using Google in the manner which you did is exactly like saying "I will Chevrolet to the stadium for the concert tonight." -or- "I'm going to Dell (use the computer)."

Oh, I'm sorry, you must have misspelled "satirize" as "complain", funny how the spellchecker didn't pick it up. :)

"Google" is a verb, by the way. http://www.wordspy.com/words/google.asp

I'd like to welcome you, dear grandpa, into the third millenium. No flying cars yet, but we're trying.

Word economics

I speak in haiku's.

Since when is Metallica a new band?  They have been around for quite a few years.  At least 10-15.

;)

23 this october if you want to get precise, which is when lars ulrich and james hetfield got together. first album was released in 1983, called "kill 'em all".

they're hardly a "screaming" band as Whitemithrandir would imply, though the days when they did have a little more screaming in their music were by far their best (IMO). bob rock (producer) changed all that with the "black" album and their product has actually become more "musical" but less appealing ever since (IMO, again).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

The best part of Metallica's career were the Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets albums, as well as And Justice For All to an extent, though they were kind of slipping then. Lightning and Puppets were intelligent and innovative at the time. Justice took some of that, but also had a more "general" sound (of course it could be that by then every metal band on the planet was imitating Metallica).

newlogo.gif

I'd like to welcome you, dear grandpa, into the second millenium. No flying cars yet, but we're trying.

Third millenium, dagnabbit!!

*snorts, scratches self* Youngin's these days... back in my day, we knew when the millenium started...

:-

Really, though, there's all sorts of music available these days if you want to take the trouble to look for it. The barriers between "mainstream" and "alternative" sort of broke down in the 90's (in western culture, anyway), but even so there's still music that's on the fringes (whatever fringe you happen to be talking about). There's the manufactured pop-tart Britneys of the world that seem to infest the headlines and airwaves, sure, but there are people out there still making music of whatever style you can name. Might be hard to find, but it's out there.

Why complain? Buy and listen to the music you like. Everyone has different tastes in music, that is why there is such a variety.

On a side note, please don't convert proper nouns into verbs and adverbs. Using Google in the manner which you did is exactly like saying "I will Chevrolet to the stadium for the concert tonight." -or- "I'm going to Dell (use the computer)."

Oh, I'm sorry, you must have misspelled "satirize" as "complain", funny how the spellchecker didn't pick it up. :)

"Google" is a verb, by the way. http://www.wordspy.com/words/google.asp

I'd like to welcome you, dear grandpa, into the third millenium. No flying cars yet, but we're trying.

Thanks for clearing that up...I wasn't aware that the Word Spy web site had the task of recategorizing and restructuring the English language.

Just as you don't like the new styles of music, I don't care too much for the new urbanization of the English language. But in both cases, it is our perogative to like and dislike what we want.

com

Metallica has some nice guitar work. Rap is just terrible. Pop lacks any originality and true to its name its not even about the music but a icon of popular culture. Back to Classical and Soprano for me.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

A friend and I were discussing something this like the other day...

Why are rap videos only about breaking the current cleavages/m

"You have offended my family, and you have offended the Shaolin temple." Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon

People need to stop equating modern music to rap. I've seen a thousand carbon copies of this thread. They're all about how rap is the root of all evil in our society, and how it's corrupting our youngins.

Go to a music store. You see the section entitled "rap"? That's where rap is. There are plenty of genres out there that are modern, yet not rap. Hard to believe isn't it?

I hate rap as much as anyone, but that doesn't mean I hate all modern music. I stick mostly to classic rock as well as some of the new alternative rock. If rap is what burns you up inside like a week-old burrito, fine, but stop acting like it represents the music industry as a whole.

Back to Classical and Soprano for me.

What makes up the vast majority of my listening these days is CBC Radio Two, which plays classical music mainly.

There are very few modern artists I'll run out and buy anything from these days, and even some of the ones I've liked in the past are turning out crap (Nick Cave jumps to mind).

I used to be heavily into industrial/EBM/IDM whatever, and still have a ton of CDs that I never listen to but can't quite bear to get rid of. When I pretty much got out of that area it was becoming nauseatingly stagnant and dull, and no better than mainstream crap in terms of creativity and innovation that it was 10-15 years ago.

newlogo.gif

i do believe rap is about 8-10% of sales, country is 10-12% of sales, "rock" is anywhere from 18-25% of sales depending upon what you lump into the "rock" label... higher even if you lump in all the top-40 pop stuff as "rock" (brittany, etc.)

either way, every generation laments the passing of their music as times change. people tend to "pick" their genre based off of when they spent the most time listening to music... typically in their teens. odd that every other aspect of our lives (fashion, politics, etc.) change so drastically as we age, yet our music tastes seem to last forever. it's not so much that the pop-scene (or rock, or rap, etc.) is written so much worse than music 20 years ago, it's that our personal tastes have not evolved to accomodate recent music trends. they never do...

actually, the 70's are often considered some of the worst music in recent history and that was 30 years ago - with many a fan still attending old-timer rock concerts... when elvis came out in the 50's, parents were screaming about his lurid sexual connotations and the ed sullivan show refused to show his hips. elvis' music had no substance and nothing but crazed teens were into his music... yet he is now revered as the "king of rock" and is credited with changing the face of modern music.

my point is that it is all relative. just depends on when you were a kid dying for your favorite artists' next release...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

None of the bands listed so far as modern music are bands that I would listen to.

Metallica just played a concert here a little while ago, and you couldn't have paid me to attend. I would have seen Metallica 10 years ago, but that's a different story.

I loathe pop music, and rap. And I'd contend that many of the artists I listen to have more lyrical value than many of the artists from the 70's who were praised for their lyrics.

Seriously, compare the writing style of the Doors to any number of bands. Jim Morrison was supposedly the greatest songwriter of his era. And I enjoy the Doors, but his lyrics are overrated fluff appreciated by a druggie generation.

I do listen to a wide variety of music, from classical, to grunge, to techno. I'll alternate betwen industrial and Tori Amos (who gets a genre to herserlf).

Tori Amos did graduate from one of the finest musical schools in the world, but she doesn't read sheet music. She refuses to learn, and played the classics by ear at the age of 5. I'd argue that her lyrics are as poigant as any I've ever heard.

There will always be people who express themselves musically, trying to do something different, and sucking in the process. That doesn't mean that all music is damned.

The issue is that you can never judge music on any scale, only on your own. :rolleyes: Go to all the classical rock fans and ask them about the best; hell, ask anyone about the best technical guitarist and a lot of names come up. You can perhaps condemn some extreme idiocies (like half of hip hop and britney-pop), but nevertheless.

Besides, even amongst teenagers, most intellectual ones will dismiss pop and hip-hop as horrible affronts to sanity.

Since everyone's talking about Metallica.. :lol: I should hardly think that their orchestral combinations were not musical, or not skilled; and their good albums (pre-Black Album) easily surpass the musical ability of.. Blink 182.

In the end it doesn't matter what education musicians go through or what genre they belong to, as long as they compose their own music, they express their own emotions, and they do it well. (of course, musical greatness is yet to be seen in some genres. :p)

Linkin Park's actually pretty innovative, but too often they get listed with all the pop fluff, because their music is a sort of hybrid. :lol:

I listen to almost all music, with the exception of pop, and most rap (I'll listen to a little Eminem once in awhile, but that's it). <shrugs>