What game element is most important to you?

What do u hope KOTOR 2/ Game X will be famous for?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What do u hope KOTOR 2/ Game X will be famous for?

• AI Graphics Sound Weapons World Environments Single player Multiplayer? Storyline Quests/Side quests Dialogue Fighting system

Story and freedom are equally important to me. Nice graphics and sound go a ways to immersing you in the game, but I can get by with using my imagination if need be. All graphics and nothing else makes one big pile of s**t that sells like hotcakes to console gamers.

One bad element can ruin everything else, no matter how good some parts are (ex: Lionheart)

Just curious, but which one element in Lionheart was it that ruined it for you?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

One bad element can ruin everything else, no matter how good some parts are (ex: Lionheart)

Just curious, but which one element in Lionheart was it that ruined it for you?

The diablo-ish grindathon at the end.

Other than that, I loved it :)

Game elements are too intertwined to really pick a most important one.

Gotta agree with you there. For me, the game is almost always made or broken by how well those elements come together. I don't think one element can make a great game, but I do think that if one's far enough out of whack it can easily ruin one.

Case in point, ToEE. I took one look at the portraits and said "ewww!" I just hated the style of those things... too angular, too cartoonish, often they were just looked too brightly coloured. But when I started playing the game, that just sort of faded into the background. When I got into the gameplay, the style of artwork in the game didn't make a difference in light of how well it worked with what they rest of the game did.

'Course, ToEE had other problems, but that's beside the point.

I think I'm going to go with the World Environments option, though, because I figure that if the devs are going to put that much effort into the world, they're going to do something similar for the characters in it. Even if they don't though, it's easier for me to foist my own ideas of what they should be like onto them, if the world has a certain level of detail to it.

Really, though, it's a toss-up between the environments and the characters/story for me... emphasis for that last part being on the characters. The story itself could be the most clich

All you say is true, but the thread asks about what KOTOR 2 will be _famous_ for, and not about what will make the game great.

I can say for example that Final Fantasy VII is very famous for a fantastic storyline, and an original combat system. While Fallout is most famous for how much freedom and control the character has over what is going on in the game.

Concidering the above, I would say that a "what will the game be famous for" question is quite right in place.

Free flowing randomized storylines. In other words, I want something that has several different storylines that come together with the sh*t hitting the fan somewhere in the middle, and being resolved by the end. B) While at the same time have the several different storylines so there'll be alot of replayability. ;)

Hopefully it will be famous for a great story and openendidness that few game can match. Hey one can dream, right? ;)

If they add some more graphic choices, like bodytype not being set to profession but Str/Dex/Cha (cha in the way of very low gives misproportioned body) and more faces to choose from it would be great....

Ah, what the heck, give us more clothing to customize charecters look as well, and ability to easily add graphic skins for clothing and look on PC version.

All you say is true, but the thread asks about what KOTOR 2 will be _famous_ for, and not about what will make the game great.

I can say for example that Final Fantasy VII is very famous for a fantastic storyline, and an original combat system. While Fallout is most famous for how much freedom and control the character has over what is going on in the game.

The way I look at it, you can't really separate the two quite that cleanly, at least not if the fame you're referring to is earned.

If any given game is going to become famous on its own merit, it's either got to be spectacularly good at everything (making it a great enough game in general to receive critial acclamation and/or financial success), or it's got to do one thing so well that it almost becomes infamous, with that one element putting everything else the game offers to such shame that everyone's just scratching their heads asking "Why couldn't they get the rest of the game right? It could have been the best game EVAR if only they'd paid enough attention to everything else the way they did with [element Y]" (Again, I'm thinking ToEE here. Great combat system in an otherwise lackluster game). Either way there's an element of greatness there, and the fame the game receives is due to that, not the other way around. You can be great without being famous, but I'm not sure that it works in the other direction, not if that fame is earned instead of just given.

(Note that I'm also leaving out the option of having a game become famous the way PoRII did; massive expectations, huge hype, complete and total letdown with the product)

If Fallout and Final Fantasy VII hadn't been so well received in the first place, though, would people have stopped to dissect them so much to see just what it was that made them so good?

That's also why I don't particularly see a conflict between the thread title here and the poll question: Answer the question of which element is most important to you, and you answer the question of what makes a great (for you, yes, but others will share your views). Any fame that the game receives will follow from that.