New Screenshots

Pretty graphics but pretty graphics doesn't make a good game.

True in some contexts, *cough* Far Cry *cough*

Are you saying that Far Cry wasn't good?

TripleRRR

Yes. The word 'bad' doesn't suit it either, maybe 'bland' is close enough.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Don't tell me they are putting a in game tutorial. That is one of the stupidest things a developer can do. Tuitorials should be separate of the game and the game's story because if a person who played the first game DOESN'T FREAKING NEED IT! Also a person who is replaying the game DOESN'T FREAKING NEED IT! Tutorials need to be separate of the game so each time a person replays the game they don't have to go through the same freaking bullsh*t every single time.

Man, I thought Obsidian was going to do better than this. I guess I was wrong. :angry:

Not necessarily, a good tutorial is one that is so well implemented in the game that the player hardly notices it.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I just couldn't get intot he game. If the game is suppose to be a CRPG I want to create my character and have it be my character. That was one of the things I hated about PS:T. Add to Gothic 2's abyssmal controls I unistalled the game after 1 very frustrating hour of gameplay.

The best teacher's teach as close to application as possible. If the tutorial just tells you buttons, and then you press that button and move on, it's really not much better than throwing you in the game after showing you a page demonstrating where all the controls were and what they did. When you make it a part of the game, it's less of a chore to learn it, people are happier and more attentive when it's not a chore to learn, and people get something of a feel for the actual application of the controls.

I agree that tutorials tend to be better if it is in some way related to the universe at least, if not the game. However, I do feel there should be an option to skip it.

I like the idea behind KOTOR 2's because it is skippable, and you can piece together what happened as you play through it the first time.

I thought the tutorial in Obi-Wan was a good tutorial because it was acsessible from the startup menu rather then actually in the game. The overall game though i think might have been a little iffy, but the tutorial was nice.

iceman1731.jpg

I thought the nameless one became my character through dialogue choices and choosing what I wanted him to become, what I wanted to advance, etc. I guess I was wrong.

My guess is that the tutorial will most likely be "piece together what happened to Revan" and considering we already know Revan will appear (unless they've changed it) somewhere in the story, we'll know by then. Maybe there'll be data files we have to hack, see Revan's data files, etc.

Besides, who's going to forget about the Hero/Destroyer of the Republic in 5 years? I'm sure some NPCs will at least mention Revan and/or join you in speculation.

Remember - the mystery and character development of a game is only half the fun. The other 50% is trying to get the game to run...without stopping on loading times when you install it on something other than your C hard drive. :p

Fnord.

The best tutorial I've seen was the one in Gothic. It had none. They just threw you into the game with no explanations whatsoever and let you get your butt kicked over and over until you forced yourself to learn the game mechanics. And that's the way I like it. I hate being hand-held through my games.

You'd probably love Unlimited Saga then.