Get ready for a draft Americans

Product of the Cosmos

Due to the growing situation in Iraq, which from people I know serving in Iraq convey to me, we are not doing as well as the media is showing over there.

Personally I think a draft possibility is very high in the near future no matter who gets elected. As IMO Kerry as well as Bush, are now obligated after the poor managament of our country the Bush admin has led us with in the Iraq situation.

See for yourSelf

I provide a search link because one site doesn't really sum it up, as well as all the sites. lol.

As the saying goes, hope for the best, prepare for the worst. And I wouldn't like to see my fellow Americans blindsided by a draft, as niether candidate will dare talk about it until after the election.

Ambrosia3.gif

the first article was dated almost a year ago... more recent statements have been contrary to the renewed draft position. i'm 36 so it won't directly affect me (35 is the cutoff usually) and my son is under 2.

either way, a doubtful happening...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

The draft will not be brought back, because most people know that it's a bad idea all around, and that there would be a public outcry if such a thing ever happened. People who support the draft don't want it because our military needs it. They want it back because they think that the military is some sort of school that serves only to instill discipline into loudmouthed youngins, which is not what it is meant for at all.

I wonder if "I wanted Gore" would be an acceptable deferment......

that doesn't matter anyways, as I'm 21 and usually too drunk to be drafted....no? Ok here is another one....

Seriously, 2 days ago Powell meantioned that if there was another draft, it would't be like Vietnam. AKA you couldn't get deferments so easily and such.

I thought you guys still had a very functioning mercenary army and you're in no trouble paying them, so this 'enlistment' stuff seems a bit wonkers.

edit: And screw you pussies, we Finns have to go to the Army (or civil service, but it's not a very smart move to do doubletime just because of ethics or whatnot)!

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

Why draft people when the regular army isn't having recruitment problems and the reserves are up to establishment?

The US army is withdrawing substantial assets from Western Europe (especially Germany). I see overstretch, sure, but not anything near drafting levels.

There has been notice of recall of ex-regulars with reserve obligations, which suggests that the military is feeling the heat. However, volunteer armies usually see a dip in numbers after active service ("been there, done that, got the T-shirt" syndrome).

The author of this thread's incessant doom-mongering spamming on a gaming forum is priceless, BTW. Would he like me to link him to some political websites instead?

sonsofgygax.JPG

hehe, regarding that last bit :p

send him over to yrkoon, they'd get along famously.

the heat the military is feeling is mostly that they're tired. we have enough to do the job, but not for the long haul... i.e. we need to rotate these guys out a bit more regularly.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

LOL.

There is not going to be a draft, all the military reserves are full for the most part, the president could just call up a few more reserve divisions and that would take care of all the personnel problems, if there are any.

Personally I just think cosmos enjoys conspiracy theories a little too much.

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

quote from this thread times 10 or so:

'there will not be a draft'

I'll be here to bump this thread when/if this happens.

Also, some points of view in this thread are rather ruthless IMO. You want people to fight and die in a war just because you wouldnt be eligible? Your view is very respectable :rolleyes:

The chance of draft is going up day by day. What was an almost 0% probability 2 years ago, if somehwere in the 25% now IMO.

But since I didnt create the thread for people who just say it won't happen, or people who were already aware of this growing possibility.. No skin off my back :~P

As I said, prepare for the worse, hope for the best. We are in for a rough ride the next 4 years. Mark my words.

Ambrosia3.gif

Doesn't matter much to me. I'm one of the few that actually WANTED to go into the military, play with the high tech Navy computers out on one of their boats, but can't because of a bunk junk psych diagnosis. If there is a draft, even though I don't take them like I'm supposed to, I have the pills to hold up, and the paperwork to back it up. I'm safe. :rolleyes:

Those most likely to be drafted would be 20 years of age if a draft is held.

Typical - send a bunch of guys who may not even had a chance to vote once off to die while the idiots that started the whole mess sit safely back at home with their own kids who all conveniently happen to have a "note from doctor".

Simple solution - if a politician wants a war he has to go in leading the first wave. It worked for Alexander the Great so why doesn't Bush give it a whirl?

I'm beginning to be all for the draft, frankly. Too many generations with no expectations put upon them, and they feel absolutely no duty to anything or anyone but themselves. If a country is to thrive, then it needs people who consider themselves part of society and feel a duty to that society. Any country that becomes top-heavy with selfish, me-first and damn-every-one-else mentality citizens is doomed.

A couple of years of required service to one's country for all citizens, male and female, would grow some of these selfish whelps up. I don't care if the required service is military or some other form, just shoving young people out into the world to broaden their horizons and teach them a modicum of self-discipline would help.

Of course every generation says this about every younger generation. So take it with a grain of salt. ;)

That said, I don't see a return of the draft unless the country is in imminent danger from another world war or similar catastrophy. The current "draft legislation" is simply a political ploy by the far-far left to make a partisian statement. Nobody takes it seriously. Not even the so-called sponsors of the bill.