Amnesia creeps back into the news again

I could have sworn Chris Avellone had stated that you will NOT have amnesia. I think that article is a bit off with its information, unless they changed the story since the last time Chris Avellone posted on here.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=24687

HomeLAN - What can you tell us about the storyline for the game and how it relates to the first game?

Chris Avellone - ........ The story is a classic tale of good vs. evil, humanity vs. the Force, punctuated by a lot of blaster fire. Not much of the backstory was in place before Obsidian started the project

careful with the "erm's", they sound like your not happy, that might get the thread locked....

The MCA quote:

The player does not have amnesia, does not start the game with amnesia, does not get amnesia over the course of the game, and he/she is quite clear who, what, and where he is at all times. Nor does he/she have any problems with memory, lurking pseudo-personalities, multiple personality disorders, submerged personalities, or any personality problems except what you induce through gameplay by being a nice guy, a jerk, or both.

Until told otherwise I error on the side of MCA

I could have sworn Chris Avellone had stated that you will NOT have amnesia.  I think that article is a bit off with its information, unless they changed the story since the last time Chris Avellone posted on here.

Yup that's what he said. According to him you know who you are from the beginning, there's no amnesia. What might be confusing some people is that you don't know how you arrived at the miining station (Probably an abduction of some sort) and maybe also that you don't where this station is located (In terms of geography).

But he was quite clear that the PC knows exacly who he/she is and isn't suffering from any kind of memory loss.

I assumed it was only temporary, a kind of "How many fingers am I holding up" kind of thing after coming round.  *shrug*

This is what I always figured as well, after a concussion or serious injury people often don't remember much for a while.

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

The character does not have amnesia, though he/she may be a bit groggy after coming to.

Here is the deal, the 'character' knows who they are, it is *YOU* the player that doesn't know who the 'character' is. Make sense? Didn't think so.

When you pick up a brand new book to read, assuming the main character doesn't actually have amnesia, how much do you know about the character at page 1? Probably not a whole lot. Does this mean the character has amnesia? No.

The study of history is a powerful antidote to contemporary arrogance. It is humbling to discover how many of our glib assumptions, which seem to us novel and plausible, have been tested before, not once but many times and in innumerable guises; and discovered to be, at great human cost, wholly false.

--Paul Johnson

The character does not have amnesia, though he/she may be a bit groggy after coming to.

Here is the deal, the 'character' knows who they are, it is *YOU* the player that doesn't know who the 'character' is.  Make sense?  Didn't think so.

When you pick up a brand new book to read, assuming the main character doesn't actually have amnesia, how much do you know about the character at page 1?  Probably not a whole lot.  Does this mean the character has amnesia?  No.

gotcha, makes sense. thanks.

great, i do hope you make one hell of a intro then, coz i would like to know a bit of his background before i start making 'sarcastic' comments (if possible) in the game.

though i guess you wont let us know too much coz then we are/you guys are limited in dialogue options.

Here is the deal, the 'character' knows who they are, it is *YOU* the player that doesn't know who the 'character' is.  Make sense?  Didn't think so.

When you pick up a brand new book to read, assuming the main character doesn't actually have amnesia, how much do you know about the character at page 1?  Probably not a whole lot.  Does this mean the character has amnesia?  No.

It makes sense to me. It's what I figured, a kind of "unreliable narrator" device.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

To be fair you couldn't, not do something simply because it's been done before, if that was the case, the gaming industry would be rather exhausted, rather quickly! Amnesia may be more common among force adepts :p

P.S. cheers Ant D, that was an excellent way to put it, and I can't speak for everyone, but I'm satisfied with that :lol:

Make that post as a sticky for all those who's wondering.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Here is the deal, the 'character' knows who they are, it is *YOU* the player that doesn't know who the 'character' is. Make sense? Didn't think so.

When you pick up a brand new book to read, assuming the main character doesn't actually have amnesia, how much do you know about the character at page 1? Probably not a whole lot. Does this mean the character has amnesia? No.

You guys must not be very perceptive if you didnt already realize that B)

Interesting. I understood that.

Does this mean that it will be...possible...to "affect" 'your' 'character''s past with choices in the game? Will we at least learn where our 'character' is from, etc?

Oooh. The suspense is...suspenseful.

Fnord.