If Jedi arent allowed to love?

"I think u missed the point."

I think I got the point just fine.

"Jedi masters hav feelings, despite keeping them in check extremly well. I didnt say nowt bout sabers being banned."

Of course they have, but like you said, they're good at keeping them in check, which as I see it, is a requirement for jedihood, thus eliminating the need for "no love 'cuz some of you can't handle loss" rules.

The saber example was there to demonstrate the stupidity of such rules: it is in essence the 'no love' rule applied sabers, with the same basic reasoning: some people just can't handle it.

"The point is that Luke had to learn himself to control his emotions, based on the newer jedi teachings of love being banned."

Luke had to learn a lot of stuff by himself because there was no one left to teach him, but it's not like Yoda or Obi-Wan didn't already set foundations for those lessons.

As for the 'no love' thing, I count myself in the denial group when it comes to newer iterations of Star Wars: no, Greedo didn't shoot first; no, Stormtroopers do carry blaster rifles instead of walky-talkys; no, midiclhtorhorwhateverians do not exist; no, there is no 'no love' rule for jedis, except maybe only for immature twits/padawans.

And naturally, Lucas died in '98.

edit: "Plus u dont seemed to hav mentioned anything on the Revan and Bastila bit i put in my last post"

I don't see how it's actually important.

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

edit: "Plus u dont seemed to hav mentioned anything on the Revan and Bastila bit i put in my last post"

It is actually important (Revan and Bastila), since it shows how vunerable that padawans are to emotions such as love.

I mean these midicolorians (sorry if spelt wrong) most likely do pick people at random, but a family line can also hav an affect. This is seen with the Skywalker family.

If Revan and Bastila were to start a family, there children would be very powerful jedi aswell.

I am guessing that the coucil in the KOTOR era were perhaps a lot more flexible than in the movie era, and would allow jedi to start families on occasion if they were either mature enough, or already way to far down love road to turn back (ala male Revan and Bastila).

Just my idea.

It is actually important (Revan and Bastila), since it shows how vunerable that padawans are to emotions such as love.

I mean these midicolorians (sorry if spelt wrong) most likely do pick people at random, but a family line can also hav an affect. This is seen with the Skywalker family.

If Revan and Bastila were to start a family, there children would be very powerful jedi aswell.

I am guessing that the coucil in the KOTOR era were perhaps a lot more flexible than in the movie era, and would allow jedi to start families on occasion if they were either mature enough, or already way to far down love road to turn back (ala male Revan and Bastila).

Just my idea.

It isn't real you know :blink: it's all made up......No really ;)

There have been numerous topics on this already. And heres what I got out of it

First off- All beings have mediclorians according to Lucas, the force flows through them all, however force sensitive individuals have a higher number then usual and can use/manipulate the force. Thus 2 non-jedi can have a jedi child and jedi offspring will almost definately be jedi.

Second of all- The discouragement of relationships to my knowledge was started after the great jedi civil war (Exar Kun's war) where jedi turned on one another, jedi with emotional attatchments were forced and sometimes unable to kill their freinds/spouses/whatever else and thus cause a great loss and an emotional depression within the jedi community, it was hurting the war effort and destroying their will to fight, turning them to the darkside. Thus further relationships were discourages, then eventualy over the centuries the rules got more precise and love was eventualy banned for fear of an exar kun war scenario happening again. Jedi will still be born but much less frequently this also helps with keeping the numbers down to a more manageable size for the jedi to keep track of/controle of, otherwise who knows how many could simply join the darkside. Emotions tied to love were highly discouraged and the jedi attempted to smear such out of younglings minds. The younger they are the more open minded they are, the more they can more easily absorb information/beleifs. Thus getting a teenager won't be as easy as getting a 4 year old to cooperate with the whole ignoring emotions thing.

Third of all- The sith might not breed so often because they might consider it a possible weakness, raising a child in a scoiety where you can be killed at any time without any sort of protection probly causes paranoia not to mention fear of the child being killed bring compassion back into their lives, caring for the child and such. Seperation would cause a possibility them to leave the sith order, and or take back their child while on a rampage killing many non-force user troops in doing so, wasting men. Plus time and work put into caring for the children rather then focussing on combat and hatred.

Forth of all- I don't agree with the jedi rule in anyway, it seems plausible within such an order, but not practical, or fair, heck it doesn't even seem moral to deny love or such emotions, nor to use a childs moldability to manipulate them into trying to banish their emotions.

All are opinions of my own, if not they are gathered from something I remember from other topics

First off- All beings have mediclorians according to Lucas, the force flows through them all, however force sensitive individuals have a higher number then usual and can use/manipulate the force. Thus 2 non-jedi can have a jedi child and jedi offspring will almost definately be jedi.

Second of all- The discouragement of relationships to my knowledge was started after the great jedi civil war (Exar Kun's war) where jedi turned on one another, jedi with emotional attatchments were forced and sometimes unable to kill their freinds/spouses/whatever else and thus cause a great loss and an emotional depression within the jedi community, it was hurting the war effort and destroying their will to fight, turning them to the darkside. Thus further relationships were discourages, then eventualy over the centuries the rules got more precise and love was eventualy banned for fear of an exar kun war scenario happening again. Jedi will still be born but much less frequently this also helps with keeping the numbers down to a more manageable size for the jedi to keep track of/controle of, otherwise who knows how many could simply join the darkside. Emotions tied to love were highly discouraged and the jedi attempted to smear such out of younglings minds. The younger they are the more open minded they are, the more they can more easily absorb information/beleifs. Thus getting a teenager won't be as easy as getting a 4 year old to cooperate with the whole ignoring emotions thing.

Third of all- The sith might not breed so often because they might consider it a possible weakness, raising a child in a scoiety where you can be killed at any time without any sort of protection probly causes paranoia not to mention fear of the child being killed bring compassion back into their lives, caring for the child and such. Seperation would cause a possibility them to leave the sith order, and or take back their child while on a rampage killing many non-force user troops in doing so, wasting men. Plus time and work put into caring for the children rather then focussing on combat and hatred.

Forth of all- I don't agree with the jedi rule in anyway, it seems plausible within such an order, but not practical, or fair, heck it doesn't even seem moral to deny love or such emotions, nor to use a childs moldability to manipulate them into trying to banish their emotions.

All are opinions of my own, if not they are gathered from something I remember from other topics

not bad. :wub:

:unsure: Great post!

most younglings are from supposedly normal parents. just once in a while normal people have a kid with abnormal powers.  and in the prequel era there was a jedi who was married.  (i forgot her name) she had many kids.  and she was renowned fro training female jedi. she was even a friend of mace windus. so sometimes there are exceptions to rules. 

fyi i got the info about the married jedi from the book Rogue Planet.

Thracia Cho-Leem?

ya thats the one i think. sorry for not replying my computer hasnt been workin

the force is what gives a jedi his power. its an energy field created by all living things. it surrounds us and penetrates us. it binds the galaxy together

It is a constant battle for the jedi to control there passions, it seems. Without passion, they become emotionless and do not feel sympathy. Too much passion, and you go to the darkside.

I doubt that even the jedi would a passionless love life, again, they would need to control there passion.

Love without passion is empty, this maybe so, but for a true jedi, with the strength of mind to follow it through, that is a sacrifice which must be made. Such is the price for the gift of the force.

Sith on the other hand offer it all, and that is probablly what seduces the jedi to their fall. But no if jedi had the strength of mind, the Sith would have ruled the galaxy uncontested for millenia, which they didn't.

My question would be "What made the Jedi change?"

It seems that the Jedi in KOTOR seem to be too more like the Jedi of the prequel era than the stories of the time of Exar Kun and Nomi Sunrider.

In the old KOTOR comics it was common place for jedi to be maried and to train their children in the use of the force. Or if they were preoccupied to have another jedi master train their child. Examples would be the Qel-Droma clan, Nomi Sunrider as the wife of a jedi, and the Diath's who served the republic for over 4,000 years with their final member not dying until the clone wars.

So when Bastila mentioned that love was not allowed and that children were taken away fromt heir parents I looked at it as her making excuses instead of common practice.

On a different note, the robes in KOTOR were horrible and I hated that all the jedi robes lookeda like and only differeed in color. If you look at a lot of the EU you'll see that not all jedi wore robes, and most didn't during the days of Exar Kun...

So I'd like to see some explanation on why the order suddenly got more strict after the original Sith War.