Horror Films

Guest Mistress

Guest Mistress

Okay - I watched Ginger Snaps on DVD over the weekend. I had heard that it was supposed to be quite good, and "scary". Finally got round to watching it, and it was just a gorier Buffy. Ok - some bloody canine corpses and some screaming, very good, when will you be scaring me now? <_<

To be honest, I didn't expect to be scared, and the film was mildly entertaining. It just wasn't scary, not even slightly. It didn't even have a scary moment.

So, have horror films lost their edge? Or, have I watched too many and become slightly immune? There are still films out there that disturb me, but they don't tend to be films like this one. Werewolves just aren't scary, and certainly a film with them in can't be described as "the sharpest, coolest horror film in years", as it says on the box I hold now. Just the same as Jeeper Creepers was not the scariest film for ten years. It might have been scary if the killer hadn't turned out to be a monster, but a man.

I guess it probably comes down to monster movies just not cutting it, no matter how much blood and screaming you put in them. Maybe the old ones simply appeal because they are either really campy and entertaining or dark and quiet and disturbing.

In short, my Hammer horror boxset has many more disturbing/scary moments than Ginger Snaps and Jeepers Creepers put together. *sigh*

My Little Eye was another effort that was supposed to be scary - a combination of Big Brother and 8mm. God....

The only decent, remotely scary films I have seen for some time have all been from countries other than the UK and US, or just really old. It just isn't good enough! /end of rambling rant!

I've never found a movie to be scary. Even the 'good' older ones. There are some horror movies that are decent movies. But I can't say I've ever been 'scared' by a movie. Not sure why that is, but I guess it's why horror movies don't really hold any appeal to me anymore.

I think the closest I've ever come to being scared by a movie was the Exorcist. Great flick, but still not truly 'scary' imo.

Strange thing is that just about every other emotion that movies try to pull out of their viewers, I've felt in some movie or other. Sadness, joy, intrigue, confusion, excitement, amazement, you name it. Just, never fear.

I find your lack of faith disturbing...

The trick to a good horror film is not blood, gore, shock and grue, but a good, intellectual story with many strange twists and turns designed to bend reality a bit, to defy reason, logic and accepted order. That's why The Exorcist was so successful - it was in such terrifying defiance of all that was considered good and right.

Too many horror movies just cobble together tired cliches and standard formulas.

One of the best horror movies (in my opinion) takes place in broad daylight in a prosaic countryside, complete with folk singing and general cheer. But the film is still quite creepy - it's The Wickerman.

Films today that are tagged with the horror name are rarely frightening or even unsettling. The last recent movie I saw that I'd consider horror was Signs. That was so skillfully done and truly got under my skin in a way no movie has ever done.

newlogo.gif

...scariest thing 'bout "horror" movies these days is the price ta rent 'em... :angry:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Strange thing is that just about every other emotion that movies try to pull out of their viewers, I've felt in some movie or other. Sadness, joy, intrigue, confusion, excitement, amazement, you name it. Just, never fear.

Fear is tough to convey through film. It's a very personal emotion, formed by your own psyche, beliefs, perspectives and so forth, and is something felt in a way other emotions are not. To convey fear in the same way that a movie could convey sadness (for example) is so rare and difficult to do.

Fear in the form that it often takes in a film really requires you to be there in the protagonist's position because the fear is enhanced by environment. But you're safe in your living room or movie theatre, so there's a barrier in place.

newlogo.gif

Old black and white zombie horror movies, sometimes they can really be scary. Or perhaps my memory just goldens them. Nowdays the "horror" is just made by sudden sound effects. Kind of lame.

One of the best horror movies (in my opinion) takes place in broad daylight in a prosaic countryside, complete with folk singing and general cheer. But the film is still quite creepy - it's The Wickerman.

i've heard of that movie. faith and the muse actually covered one song of its soundtrack :rolleyes: problem is, that it's not available in europe... must be quite old, eh? any idea how to get a copy?

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

The best recent horroy film about werewolves is Dog Soldiers. It's actually got a similar dark sense of humour to Fallout.

'May' is also a very good recent horror film, very anti-hollywood, in that the hero of the piece is

a) female,

B ) doesn't wear make up, and doesn't look and dress like a ****

c) is a virgin in her 20s

d) kills people horribly .... yet you still end up liking her. REcommended.

Both Dog Soldiers and May are British films (and I picked up both on DVD on the recommendation of Robert Englund, my idol. WELCOME TO PRIME TIME, BITCH!)

The scariest film that I've seen is Event Horizon, though perhaps that was more to do with the time and place I was watching it, I don't know.

EDIT: I'm a bit of a horror buff, I love the genre. Often because I enjoy seeing annoying teenagers get ripped apart and killed.

@Phosphor: Excellent point. I pesonally just find it odd that, after watching a 90 minute movie in which someone dies at the end (or even in which someone is joyously reunited with a lost love) can really tug at the emotions any better. I mean, I've spent all of 90's getting to know these characters, and I really feel their pain, joy, etc. Yet, even the well done horror movies don't inspire the fear that the characters feel in me. Just find it odd.

Guess I'm just fearless, eh? *strikes a triumphant pose* :rolleyes:

Guest Mistress
The trick to a good horror film is not blood, gore, shock and grue, but a good, intellectual story with many strange twists and turns designed to bend reality a bit, to defy reason, logic and accepted order. That's why The Exorcist was so successful - it was in such terrifying defiance of all that was considered good and right.

Too many horror movies just cobble together tired cliches and standard formulas.

Films today that are tagged with the horror name are rarely frightening or even unsettling. The last recent movie I saw that I'd consider horror was Signs. That was so skillfully done and truly got under my skin in a way no movie has ever done.

The Wickerman is a fantastic film. Not "scary" as such, but definitely quite creepy and disturbing. I cringe at the thought of the remake.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is another favourite of mine. When I first saw it, I was slightly disturbed. Great dark humour. Great for the things that you *don't* see.

I definitely agree that many horror movies are just the same old same old. I love cheesy, bad, popular horror movies like Nightmare on Elm Street, just for the fact that they are quite funny, and light entertainment. When I want to be "scared" though, I want something disturbing and chilling.

The Omen trilogy is a favourite of mine. Again, not scary as such, just a tad chilling in places.

Gore will never be scary, not as long as the concept behind it isn't.

Signs - hmm....I wasn't keen. Thought it was pretty crap to be honest. :rolleyes:

Guest Mistress

i've heard of that movie. faith and the muse actually covered one song of its soundtrack :rolleyes: problem is, that it's not available in europe... must be quite old, eh? any idea how to get a copy?

It's out on DVD, has been for some time.

kills people horribly .... yet you still end up liking her.

This is slightly off topic, but any movies that can do that are great, IMHO. Anytime the 'hero' that you love is really kind of a bad guy/gal, I find it great. You find yourself rooting for a real jerk. WTF? :rolleyes:

kills people horribly .... yet you still end up liking her.

This is slightly off topic, but any movies that can do that are great, IMHO. Anytime the 'hero' that you love is really kind of a bad guy/gal, I find it great. You find yourself rooting for a real jerk. WTF? :rolleyes:

Well like I said Robert Englund is someone i'm a big fan of, he's played Freddy Krugar for 20 years in films who is a character designed to have no redeeming features at all..... implied that he rapes little girls then kills them when he was alive.... yet I love the nightmare on elm street films because I always want Freddy to get those teenagers!

EDIT: And about that film May, yes it's really good, it's designed to mess around with you because the first half there's hardly any 'horro'r elements, just the story of a lonely, unhappy girl who found she was different from what society expected and demands of someone, had no friends, and no guy (or girl) would have her in a romantic sense either. She was a likable character - she even had a volunteer job working with blind kids.

Then after 50 minutes or whatever, something happens, the blind children get......ah...well, let's say it involves blood.... and she....er....well I don't want to spoil it. But after all the insanity is over, you still like this character because all she ever wanted was a friend, yet everyone rejected her. Though the film has a happy ending, in its own, sick, twisted way.

Like I said, it's highly, highly recommended.

What worked for me with Signs was the way it was presented - it's a classic fear of the unknown, and I love that stuff. I thought tension and paranoia were extremely well handled in the movie, and you were given just enough to build your own fear from. But, like all Shyamalan's films seem to be, either they work for you or they don't. Personally, I think he's brilliant.

Regarding Event Horizon - I saw it in the theatre and found it nicely creepy. But I later rented it and it wasn't anywhere near unsettling - I think it's a film that relied a lot on sound and overwhelming visual immersion so watching it on television just failed to do the movie any justice.

I too cringe at the thought of a Wickerman remake. I haven't heard anything about it for a while now, so maybe it's a dead project? *fingers crossed*

newlogo.gif

What worked for me with Signs was the way it was presented - it's a classic fear of the unknown, and I love that stuff. I thought tension and paranoia were extremely well handled in the movie, and you were given just enough to build your own fear from. But, like all Shyamalan's films seem to be, either they work for you or they don't. Personally, I think he's brilliant.

Regarding Event Horizon - I saw it in the theatre and found it nicely creepy. But I later rented it and it wasn't anywhere near unsettling - I think it's a film that relied a lot on sound and overwhelming visual immersion so watching it on television just failed to do the movie any justice.

I too cringe at the thought of a Wickerman remake. I haven't heard anything about it for a while now, so maybe it's a dead project? *fingers crossed*

IU thought the texas chainswaw masscre remake totally sucked, but most remakes do, especially when they involve hollywood. The remake totally removed a lot of the cool stuff from the original, like the unlikable character who also was disabled, and replaced them with typical hollywood whores pumped to the brims with collagen and silicone and whatever else is the fashion these days.

Guest Mistress

Yeah - it just didn't work for me. I do like some of his work - just not that particular one :lol:

Maybe the Wickerman remake is dead and buried.....I live in hope anyway :rolleyes: (no doubt someone will come along and crush my dream now with fresh news!)

@ Mr Teatime - I don't even want to see the TCM remake. I shudder at the thought. <_<

Most horror films aren't even that horrible or terrible either. I'd wish a horror film would decide between a splatter movie or a spooky movie instead of the recent shovellings.

Wicker man, R2

You thought Signs was scary? I thought it was a bit chit really. It could have been a lot better if it was just man alone, isolated in all those corn-fields. Mabye something like straw dogs. Spoiler ahead - The fake looking aliens being killed by a guy with a bat and water too...lame. The whole thing was crap, over-rated rubbish like the rest of his movies. My little sister even said it was crap and she liked the spice girls movie.

Yawn. End spoiler.

I don't understand why these movies kept being made. Very boring plots, usually boring deaths and cookie-cutter blondes. Mabye the odd jump, but nothing horrible. I think the last semi-scary movie I watched was the ring, but even that wasn't too bad. I just don't like movies where people turn around and there dead. Another creepy movie was Lost Highway near the start.

I also don't like how it's ok to be crap, so long as you wink at yourself you can get away with making a crap movie. What's the point if you're making a mutli-million dollar movie? I could understand if it was an indy that had to do that kind of stuff as it's usually ridiculous, but big studios should mabye consider the slasher genre has been done to death.

I thought silent hill was a pretty spooky game. Too much of the horror genre is just in the dark though, relies too much on music and things happening off camera. Most of the things horror movies rely on is primitive fears such as the dark or something inhuman. Also death. Why should we be scared if these characters die? It's not scary, just a pay-off for about 10 minutes of spooky music and brainless wandering around alone.

I also consider gore in movies pathetic. Unless it's really well done or imaginative, having neat little holes or lines with blood coming out isn't scary. The audience needs to identify with it more with day to day pains, like needle injections or cracking teeth etc. Not having your head cut off or stabbed a few times.

I think that's about it. A good horror movie should be something that could happen realistically and summons up dread instead of tension. Instead of death and the character leaving, the audience should be afraid of seeing whatever the character is. Isolation, hopelessness. These are more scary than some guy in a white mask dancing about trying to stop a horror movie from being made.

>*

Guest Mistress
I thought silent hill was a pretty spooky game. Too much of the horror genre is just in the dark though, relies too much on music and things happening off camera. Most of the things horror movies rely on is primitive fears such as the dark or something inhuman. Also death. Why should we be scared if these characters die? It's not scary, just a pay-off for about 10 minutes of spooky music and brainless wandering around alone.

I also consider gore in movies pathetic. Unless it's really well done or imaginative, having neat little holes or lines with blood coming out isn't scary. The audience needs to identify with it more with day to day pains, like needle injections or cracking teeth etc. Not having your head cut off or stabbed a few times.

Silent Hill is definitely a spooky game :) I like it a lot.

One thing that annoys me about most so called horror movies, mainly mainstream ones - they rely on making people jump. That isn't "horror" - it's just playing on common anxieties. I don't want to jump - I want to be disturbed.

As for horrifying injuries - I still think that bit in American History X is fantastic....the crack, good god the cracking sound....

gore can be done well. The goriest scene I have ever seen in a mainstream film is in the first 10 minutes of Ghost Ship. it involves about 50 people dancing on the dance floor, and some piano wire pulled taut from across the room. It's the type of thing that would make people leave the cinema.

In non mainstream, the 'goriest', or most shocking, films ever made are usually attributed to the Japanese 'hamster' films (I think they're called hamster, can't remember). There are about 5 of them, and they're just.... its like one of them is written to be like a snuff movie, and these two guys kidnap a girl and the entire 90 minutes of the film is them beating her and torturing her, and then she dies, the guys leave, and the film ends. Another one is a bit more fantasy, some guy disects a woman piece by piece and it's got some pretty grotesque scenes like the extraction of the eye.... best make up and effects ever done in a film as well.

I have not seen these films - no inclination to either really apart from morbid curiousity - but if you ask around these films are the ones people mention for the most horrible films ever made. THe worst I've seen is another Japanese film called audition, which climaxes in a 20 minute torture scene involving a guy, his eyes, his jealous girlfriend, and some nails. Best line of the movie: the guy's son comes in, sees his dad nailed to the floor through various icky parts of his body, and says 'are you all right?'

These movies are extremely gory, but the horror comes from the way it's presented.

Guest Mistress
THe worst I've seen is another Japanese film called audition, which climaxes in a 20 minute torture scene involving a guy, his eyes, his jealous girlfriend, and some nails. Best line of the movie: the guy's son comes in, sees his dad nailed to the floor through various icky parts of his body, and says 'are you all right?'

These movies are extremely gory, but the horror comes from the way it's presented.

I love Audition - it's just bizarre. Not exactly scary, but the girl's cute voice when she's sticking him with all those needles....."deeper deeper deeper" *chuckle* I found it amusing when she was taking his feet off, then threw one away and it hit the glass door.

I find japanese films slightly twisted and disturbing - in a good way - I enjoy them - more so than a lot of mainstream western productions. That or I'm just on a world cinema phase right now :)

Ichi the Killer is meant to be somewhere in between. I've heard about those hamster films before but I've forgotten the name.

I didn't consider it scary though. It's just like eating a burger really fast and squirting sauce everywhere. A good murder should be similair to a dance. That could be fighting though, I forget. Dirty Fighting sounds good. Anyway, some gore is well done but I still don't consider myself scared or even emotional. Sometimes I laugh at the parts that are over the top, otherwise it's just similair to any other SFX shot.

To me a dead body causes more fear. Also a live but injured body can be creepy, like amputees. I remember some story I read a few years back about a guy being taken to hospital and his limbs being amputated one by one over the course of a week. Good stuff.

>*

THe worst I've seen is another Japanese film called audition, which climaxes in a 20 minute torture scene involving a guy, his eyes, his jealous girlfriend, and some nails. Best line of the movie: the guy's son comes in, sees his dad nailed to the floor through various icky parts of his body, and says 'are you all right?'

I love Audition - it's just bizarre. Not exactly scary, but the girl's cute voice when she's sticking him with all those needles....."deeper deeper deeper" *chuckle* I found it amusing when she was taking his feet off, then threw one away and it hit the glass door.

I find japanese films slightly twisted and disturbing - in a good way - I enjoy them - more so than a lot of mainstream western productions. That or I'm just on a world cinema phase right now :)

Though I bought the Japanese versions of The Ring and its sequel and a spin off, after seeing the american version, and was very disappointed. The american version was much better, and after reviewing it it just confirmed it. The whole 'oooh i'm a doctor with magic powers' ruined the japanese version.

Guest Mistress
Ichi the Killer is meant to be somewhere in between. I've heard about those hamster films before but I've forgotten the name.

I have Ichi the Killer - my housemates won't watch it with me :( They won't watch any of my other foreign films either. Mean people.

I like Ringu, but it wasn't that brilliant. I also liked the US version - the bit with the horses upsets me a bit. For some reason I really hate scenes with horses drowning or being injured, or simply baring their teeth. *shudder*