Exar Kun War

"The first book of Tales of the Jedi is called The Golden Age of the Sith"

...from a certain point of view. Actually the first series written of Tales of the Jedi was called "Ulic Qel-Droma and the Beast Wars of Onderon." Together with "The Saga of Nomi Sunrider" they made up "Knights of the Old Republic" in trade paperback form.

"The Golden Age of the Sith" was written years later but is the first to take place chronologically in EU's timeline.

Personally, I found that of all the 'Tales of the Jedi'...only "Sith War" and especially "Redemption" were really good reads. The rest were mediocre. The stories were fine, but the art and dialogue were just atrocious.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The best in whole series was "Dark Lords of the Sith" - art was medium, true, but storyline and dialogs were superior. Exar Kun's transformation into Dark Lord was shown brilliantly - it's a pity that in KOTOR dark side was shown in so childish way...

Golden Age of Sith is also a masterpiece. I was stunned by a vision of ancient galaxy full of low-tech equipment and clothes taken from ancient mesopotamia.

Powergames in the Sith Empire were brilliant.

I think that Obsidian should hire Tom Veitch to work on their storyline. This guy is a real professional and knows SW universe better than any dev.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Guest Michael Chu
The first book of Tales of the Jedi is called The Golden Age of the Sith.

Are you nocturnal Michael? Just wondering since you seem to crawl out of your cubicle and post here at night, assuming you're in the same time zone as the rest of Obsidian. :)

It's a nice break from those long bouts of late night designering. :lol:

I have to disagree with you regarding Veitch. Now I'm not familiar with his work outside of SW but as a SW comic book writer...he's a hack. I'll give credit where its due: He's got some really terrific ideas for storylines and character concepts but he is a terrible writer. His stories didn't pace very well. Too many words in too few pages. Ridiculous dialogue.

To be honest, I haven't read "Golden Age of the Sith" or "Fall of the Sith Empire" but I believe Kevin Anderson wrote those along with "Sith War" and "Redemption". I believe Exar Kun was a Kevin Anderson created character.

Anderson collaborated with Veitch on "Dark Lords of the Sith" and that was when I could see Anderson's influence on Veitch's writing. But when Anderson took full control on "The Sith War" --the storyline became so much clearer and the dialogue less banal.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Nice to see a fan of Kevin Anderson - I regard him very high. But personally I liked

dialogs in Beast Wars and Dark Lords much more than in Sith War. Though it's a question of personal choice, I believe.

My favourite line was when master Vodo made an analysis on Kun:

Exar Kun, you are the most formidable student I have ever had... but I sense something missing in you. --An empty place hidden even from yourself. A place which remains unseen because no light escapes from that region of your heart.

and in the end when Marka Ragnos said:

Exar Kun, because of you, the Sith will never die... you have rightly earned the title of Dark Lord of the Sith!

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

Exar Kun himself, with his legendary dual lightsaber (stolen milennia later by George Lucas for Phantom Menace's Maul dissapointment):

ExarKun.jpg

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

You say Darth Mauls name in such contempt...

He matched both a master jedi and a knight who was ready for the master trials.

His performance with a saber was exact in every movement and you say his name like he was a push over...

His downfall wasnt because a lack in his skill... He died because he was so arrogant he allowed obi wan to stay alive for his amusement and was caught offguard.

Hahaha Maul challenged two weak jedi and lost. Exar extinguished hundreds of them without a scratch. He was an unstoppable opponent.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

He matched both a master jedi and a knight who was ready for the master trials.

Thats buts***.

First Obi was a padawan, not a knight and second Maul rarely faced both at once, when he did he did the smart thing and run away.

drakron.png

Actually...I generally find most of Anderson's writing to be quite dull. Compared to Veitch, it's a huge improvement.

The story of Exar Kun in tandem with Ulic Qel-Droma's plunge to the dark side did make fun reading though. Made his redemption so much more...(now that would be a spoiler)

Since we are on the subject of the comics, I read somewhere that Bastila was originally supposed to be Vima Sunrider (Nomi's daughter), but that idea was scratched. It certainly could have made sense within KoTOR's general plotline. I wonder if hmmm....Obsidian can/will revisit this character...or are there licensing conflicts associated with directly using these characters?

Yes Vima Sunrider would be interesting but in KOTOR she would be over 50 years old..and you know young pretty chick was needed.

License matters not. Bioware was making game for Lucas Industry and could use any element of Star Wars universe. But age eliminated Vima...

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

*putting on geek hat and using comic book guy voice*

Well actually...Vima was four years old during the events of the Sith War. KoTOR took place 40 years (or was it 30?) after it. Bioware could have easily had the story take place 20 years after it (if they wanted to make Bastila/Vima in her 20's.

Bioware actually did not (as I am sure Obsidian) have full access to the SW property. All storylines, characters, etc., had to be approved by Lucasfilm/Lucasarts. They could not make any changes or add ons to the game during the development cycle without their approval.

This is the case with all licensed property.

Too bad becouse I always liked Vima

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

wild speculation:

Kreia and Atris = Sunriders in hiding?

It would work with the Master/Apprentice theme the devs were talking about. Vima being resentful of how Nomi ignored training her.

There was some talk of how Kreia was supposed to be a mysterious mentor type figure to the PC. Maybe some sort of atonement? Atris/Vima resentful of it...keeping her dark side anger in check while remembering her cherished memories of her own mentor --Ulic Qel-Droma.

Parallels the original trilogy in a way too: Kreia/Nomi being the Ben Kenobi figure seeking atonement for failure of training Anakin with Nomi's failure to train Atris/Vima.

"Help me Nomi Sunrider, you're my only hope."

just some WILD speculation.

*edited names