LA press website

http://www.lucasarts.com/vip/

You can find k2 stuff on it at the bottom, nothing new now, but the concept art is always HQ. An interesting note: In the holiday guided at the top you will find a memo that indicates that K2 was set to come out by the holidays as early as early Aug. No indication of a staggered release is given at the time.

enjoy

EDIT:

the K2 related memo chunk, dated "August 2004" (it was out early Aug), if you don't want to dl the guide:

Finally, the next chapter of the award-winning original title of 2003, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords will be available just in time for the holidays in Winter 2004 on both Xbox and PC. 

so this was about a month ago

http://www.lucasarts.com/vip/

You can find k2 stuff on it at the bottom, nothing new now, but the concept art is always HQ. An interesting note: In the holiday guided at the top you will find a memo that indicates that K2 was set to come out by the holidays as early as early Aug. No indication of a staggered release is given at the time.

enjoy

EDIT:

the K2 related memo chunk, dated "August 2004" (it was out early Aug), if you don't want to dl the guide:

Finally, the next chapter of the award-winning original title of 2003, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords will be available just in time for the holidays in Winter 2004 on both Xbox and PC. 

so this was about a month ago

Hmm.... "WILL be available" on both the XBox and PC, not "might" or "hope to be available".

Seems to me the way that is written, they did GUARANTEE it would be available to both, not just speculate.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Well, it's not a "public" announcement, so it's not "official".......

BUT, you have to ask yourself, if it seemed so likely that both would make it out that they put out a press kit listing it for Dec last month......then what changed?

Answer: nothing, the PC version could very well be ready for Dec (in the states), and that is "official". LA wants to delay the PC version and have.

BUT, you have to ask yourself, if it seemed so likely that both would make it out that they put out a press kit listing it for Dec last month......then what changed?

Answer: nothing, the PC version could very well be ready for Dec (in the states), and that is "official". LA wants to delay the PC version and have.

LA wants to delay the PC version because Billy paid them big bucks. :ph34r:

Who knows what the REAL reason behind the delay is, but the official statement will always be something like bugtesting, polishing, jadajadajada....

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Who knows what the REAL reason behind the delay is, but the official statement will always be something like bugtesting, polishing, jadajadajada....

If that's so you can bet the International PC release date will be pushed back even further because of extra *cough* testing and polishing so that European X-box owners can enjoy an "exlusive" for a few months as well.

I'm also willing to bet that the International PC release will be the most bug ridden of them all!

If that's so you can bet the International PC release date will be pushed back even further because of extra *cough* testing and polishing so that European X-box owners can enjoy an "exlusive" for a few months as well.

I'm also willing to bet that the International PC release will be the most bug ridden of them all!

First, does anyone really expect an "offical" reason? "Offically" there is no delay, as in LAs mind Feb equals=winter 2004, and the press memo wasn't a public one.

The international release seems to still be Feb. It looks like the release for that would be both platforms. One of the reasons I hear behind the PC version being "pushed back" is fear of piracy between now and Feb. (EDIT: aka if the PC comes out here in Dec, people in Europe will just get that before the X-box one even hits there) That and LA doesn't think the PC version will do much buisness anyways.

Now, this was all a bit of a surprise to Obsidian, and they (yes I know I'm speaking for them) are "pretty pissed ". There is only so much they can do about it tho. The reason you don't hear more from them = if you don't have naything nice to say about your publisher.....plus Akari seemingly summed it up. The PC apparently, at least in performance terms, is easily shaping up to be the better of the two (The textures are double the resolution). So imagine if you worked on this game (weekends etc.) and then you get told the neutered version comes out well before the high performance one. While graphics arn't everything, you want to put your best foot forward. The first version(s) to come out will be the ones that will get all the press and reviews. That is how people will know you. Specially since this is your first game.

Here's an EXTRAORDINARY POSSIBILITY, FOLKS:

LA was originally planning to release the two versions at the same time, but decided not to for whatever reason. It could even be something minor, like the PC version was starting to lag behind, and in the interests of getting SOME cash on the holiday rush, they pushed more for the xbox version to get finished.

It doesn't make any bloody sense for microsoft to lay down the big bucks for LA to do something financially sound anyway. Not to mention, it cuts out of their profit margin. How many people really WOULD buy the xbox just because they're impatient to play the game? And why on earth do people think microsoft would be so STOOOOPID as to believe that it would significantly increase their sales, enough to spend on relatively superfluous bribes? So maybe they'll get a few hundred more bucks, is it worth the risk without any research into the matter? If we ARE only talking about "small" bribes here, couldn't LA just laugh it off? MAYBE microsoft threatened a termination of contract, that they would support the game anymore for their system, that they wouldn't put their logo onto it, they wouldn't allow it in stores, etc... etc...

But BRIBES? Have a little more creativity, people.

Oh, and uh... "PRESS MEMO" classifies as public, thank you very much. What? "Oh, you don't really HAVE to tell anyone about this shifting release date dealie."

Yeah, if LA puts out a press memo, you better bet it's official.

like the PC version was starting to lag behind, and in the interests of getting SOME cash on the holiday rush, they pushed more for the xbox version to get finished

that is not the case

Actually Akari said the PC version is on track, but the X-Box version is ahead of schedule (meaning it will be done earlier than anticipated). They had the X-Box version's code first so they've had more time to polish it.

Prove it, Oh Omniscient One.

Well besides all the information above......there is Akaris post:

I didn't find out about the different release dates until a couple days ago. Internally, we've been working on X-Box and PC versions of KotOR2 with the same level of dedication and expected to have both of them ready at the same time.

One of the main reasons that the X-Box version is ahead of the PC version is that we were on the X-Box version for a few months before the PC version of KotOR1 even came out so that we could get the PC version code from Bioware. As a result, the X-Box version has always been a little further along, code-wise, than the PC version. That's one reason why the E3 Demo was on X-Box. Because the X-Box build was the only one presentable by then.

I have my own opinions about why there are two different release dates now, but I'm not going to throw fuel on the fire by going into them. As a mostly PC gamer myself, I was looking forward to the anticipated simultaneous releases.

I'm sorry about the news for PC-only gamers.

-Akari

Just because it's ahead of schedule, doesn't mean that the pc wasn't either, as he says: "*we* expected to have both of them ready at the same time"

case in point, "PC was always a little behind."

The thing is, you start doing this headless chicken, "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" about --EVERY--- LITTLE --- BAD thing that happens to you, you get further and further from reality.

So yeah, maybe it's a rainy day and there's lots of hail. Feel free to complain, it's understandable, but it's not the bloody apocalypse. Where I come from, bad weather is a common occurence.

The thing is, you start doing this headless chicken, "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" about --EVERY--- LITTLE --- BAD thing that happens to you, you get further and further from reality.  You make baseless assumptions, and your arguments become MUCH less feasible to anyone starting on the opposite end of things, that doesn't see anything wrong.  You end up with two sides saying completely opposite things and no middle ground, and you end up doing less good for the real cause of "good" or "betterment" than you started out doing.

So yeah, maybe it's a rainy day and there's lots of hail.  Feel free to complain, it's understandable, but it's not the bloody apocalypse.  Where I come from, bad weather is a common occurence.

Wow, I'm just talkign about a game being delayed.....but you went over the deep end :)

Maybe I wasn't talking to you.

So maybe it wasn't unexpected developments. (by the way, my post came after yours by an accident - I didn't see yours while I was still typing mine, as I didn't "bother" to update the page) I think they were certainly trying to get them out the door at the same time, though, and that's no proof, certainly, that LA had no intention of releasing them at the same time. Think about it: Why would they say that if they didn't intend it at some point?

Yes, but you were using points about someone who shares my perspective (I think).

Also, it wasn't unforseen developments. It was intentional. Things were advertised as being simultaneous (a big selling point). ONe prominant theory is that it's been pushed back (with influence from Gates) in order to promote x-box sales.

Well, the delay isn't that bad...but what's bad is that they lied to us.

Is it really a lie if things change because of unexpected developments?

Reread Akaris post and tell me if you think thats really the case

Maybe I wasn't talking to you.

Sorry if you wern't, I just did't see who else you could be talking to.

Yes, but you were using points about someone who shares my perspective (I think).

Also, it wasn't unforseen developments.  It was intentional.  Things were advertised as being simultaneous (a big selling point).  ONe prominant theory is that it's been pushed back (with influence from Gates) in order to promote x-box sales.

Paranoia isn't really a valid argument to state it's "intentional."

You seem insistant that they "intentionally lied" about release. Are you saying there's no way for a company to change plans during production for ANY reason?