The It's Disappointing Thread II - The Sequel

As stated, the first thread was getting very, very large. So, following the suggestion of Ghost of Anakin's, I stickied it and this one as well. Perhaps also it will keep the discussion here instead of migrating out to the rest of the board.

You can still find that thread here.

Same rules apply as in the first one.

No badmouthing any developers or publishers.

No profane language.

No insulting other members.

No spam.

So far it's been a much smaller circus than I had anticipated, so let's keep it like that. This thread, like the other, is for the purpose of venting the frustration over the newly announced release dates.

If you don't want to read about said frustration, please move on to another topic.

Thank you.

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

I've already posted this in both the Release Date poll thread, and the original 'The It Sucks Thread'; but the more people who read it the better in my mind.

Okay, I've now changed my stance.  Coming to the realization that there's next to no way we can get the release date for either platform changed; by all means, get it when it comes out...but in the meantime...

PULL YOUR PREORDERS!!!

In my mind, there is no better way to get the point across then to screw with their projected sales numbers, you'll still get your game at the same time, possibly earlier since that way you don't even have to wait for shipping.  Wouldn't it be lovely to see the game go 'Un-Gold' before whatever schmuck's eyes lied to the gaming community all this time?

what do preorders have to do with going gold

Well, you know how Half Life 2 has already gone Gold even though it hasn't been released? A game goes Gold often times before release, in fact, alot of the time it has alot to do with when they set the release date. They see preorders as sure sales, even though they CAN be pulled. But when a game sells enough units, don't remember exactly how many, it 'goes gold'. KotOR2 has already gone Gold IIRC, and if enough people pull preorders, it should, theoretically go 'un-Gold' though I don't think that's EVER happened in the history of video games....it would be pretty awesome if it did though. :D

^Eru, the number of people on this forum are barely

a dribble in the total sales of Lucas Arts, and pulling

your pre-order is hardly going to cause a shrug

in upper-management.

The better strategy is to deluge them with e-mail.  :unsure:

Doing both sure can't hurt though....maybe if we spread it to other forums and even gaming news sites as well....it sure would be cool to set history that way. :D

<curses his misinformed sources>

Well, it'll still screw up their projected sales.

the only reason i knew is because games going gold without selling a single copy always struck me as odd because i thought of it in terms of records going gold

i just happened to search some info about it one time and found out what it really was

going gold in terms of software isnt about selling anything

it means the game has been copied to disc and is being sent to manufacturers for duplication

in other words it means the game is finished

It's also called "going gold" because the main disk used to make the copies is gold colored, at least that is what I've read.

I've already posted this in both the Release Date poll thread, and the original 'The It Sucks Thread'; but the more people who read it the better in my mind. 

Okay, I've now changed my stance.  Coming to the realization that there's next to no way we can get the release date for either platform changed; by all means, get it when it comes out...but in the meantime...

PULL YOUR PREORDERS!!!

In my mind, there is no better way to get the point across then to screw with their projected sales numbers, you'll still get your game at the same time, possibly earlier since that way you don't even have to wait for shipping.  Wouldn't it be lovely to see the game go 'Un-Gold' before whatever schmuck's eyes lied to the gaming community all this time?

While I still agree with this idea (which I originally suggested :-)), I think we should move this thread to the LucasArts forum. Obsidian's not at fault, so why should we put this out here? Take the fight to LA.

LOL, Master of All, while I won't offer my opinion on the suckiness of it, I will say that sometimes one must play the politics game.  Obsidian, as nuoli just said, is not at fault here, and I don't want to get them in trouble for a venting thread.

^That's ok. Secretly this can still be the "it sucks"

thread. :-

Indeed, the best way to get the message across is to pull preorders. That will definitely drop some immediate cash flow and prick up some eyebrows. Although this may not change the outcome, the point is to get the message across and ensure the consumers and fan base are not used or disrespected again.

LOL, Master of All, while I won't offer my opinion on the suckiness of it, I will say that sometimes one must play the politics game.  Obsidian, as nuoli just said, is not at fault here, and I don't want to get them in trouble for a venting thread.

thread. :-

Heh, and it will be. If not, there are other methods, but I bet that this thread will keep itself alive.

What's sad here is that Obsidian will lose credibility. Even if it was LA's decision.

thread. ;)

Heh, and it will be. If not, there are other methods, but I bet that this thread will keep itself alive.

What's sad here is that Obsidian will lose credibility. Even if it was LA's decision.

Are we really sure Obsidian wasn't in on this....even if it wasn't their decision? I mean....they did make the trailer video didn't they? :-