AttN Devs: Perhaps this is asking too much....

.....but would it be possible maybe (as a reward) that if a person's suggestion actually is incorporated into the game that he or she receives a free copy of the game when it is released??? :D

Its asking too much.

But how about a nod in the credits?

I dunno, being in marketing myself, you learn how valuable customer insight truly can be. In short, if you aren't satisfying your customer base's needs, then plain and simple, your product won't sell.

As it translates into KOTOR II: as successful as the first game was, the second release is pivotal. Churn out a game that is too similar to the first, and gamers will become bored. Relase one too different, and again, gamers won't be happy. I am pretty sure we are all crossing our fingers that this release is going to be close enough to KOTOR I that we truly feel it is a continuation of our journey, yet at the same time, feel satisfied that there are the right amount of changes so that we don't feel like we are playing the EXACT same game, only on a different map. If the devs can accomplish both, then they will surely see this franchise flourish for a very long time. (Example: if the initial follow-ups to the first Final Fantasy would have been uber disappointing, we definately would never have seen FF IX, X, X-2, etc.)

Thus, as brilliant as the folks at Obsidian surely are, they would be monsterously idiotic to ignore these boards. I mean, here is a pure, virtually free method to get direct insight into the customers needs and wants (which in the mktg world, is near impossible to find). We are here b/c we want to be here, not because we have been coaxed into some mktg study. These suggestions are coming from the guys who have played KOTOR I extensively, loved it, and are foaming at the mouth already in anticipation of the next installment. Thus, our desires ARE the customer's desires. Believe me, a few copys of this game sent out to those of us who could make this game an even bigger success than the first is immensly less expensive to LucasArts than it would be to have this game flop.... especially when you consider the ammount of money a succesful KOTOR series would generate over the next several years.

Besides.... do you REALLY think they are gonna have a "special thanks" section in the credits that displayed names like "Jedi Killer 9927"???

Yeah, I think it would be cool to make an appearance in the credits. As far as a free copy of the game is concerned, though, I think there would be no fair way for them to do it. How do you determine where the cutoff is to get the free game? 100 posts? 1000 posts? Donate your head for charity? B) Who's to say how many of those posts actually would have helped? There are too many members of this board for them to make it pofitable.

.....but would it be possible maybe (as a reward) that if a person's suggestion actually is incorporated into the game that he or she receives a free copy of the game when it is released???  :D

Its asking too much.

there probly going to say thx from the people of the obsidian forum on the credics and thats all

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

.....but would it be possible maybe (as a reward) that if a person's suggestion actually is incorporated into the game that he or she receives a free copy of the game when it is released???  :D

Its asking too much.

there probly going to say thx from the people of the obsidian forum on the credics and thats all

Works for me. B)

Thus, as brilliant as the folks at Obsidian surely are, they would be monsterously idiotic to ignore these boards. I mean, here is a pure, virtually free method to get direct insight into the customers needs and wants (which in the mktg world, is near impossible to find).

Except message boards are not exactly the best representation of what the consumer base might want. Message boards are mostly for fans of a company to trade opinions on said company's products. While you get good suggestions once in a while, there's a reason why many of them are not taken to heart by developers, and ultimately, do not make any appearance in a game. Bluntly put, they're either flat out bad (the most common reason), or do not fit the team's vision or needs for their product. Obsidian are aware of people's opinions and views. They're not ignoring us, but they certainly aren't being held hostage to our demands, either.

Incidentally, attributing an insulting label to a company if they won't do what you think they should do isn't exactly smart.

Thus, our desires ARE the customer's desires. Believe me, a few copys of this game sent out to those of us who could make this game an even bigger success than the first is immensly less expensive to LucasArts than it would be to have this game flop.... especially when you consider the ammount of money a succesful KOTOR series would generate over the next several years.

For this, we'd have to assume that the input people on message boards boards give out actually makes it to the game. We'd also have to assume that suggestions and gamer input are what make the game a success, when in fact, its likely to be the work put into the game by the team that will make it a success.

Also, we'd have to assume that it was a good idea to award gamers with free copies of a game because they gave a suggestion that made it to the game. How many hundred would flood the boards trying to get the same result?

Finally, we'd have to assume that knowing who gave the idea that makes it into the game was an easy task. How many people have given similar suggestions? Would all those that gave the same idea received free copies? And what if someone just decides to post an idea which isn't even theirs? How does one ascertain who is the creator of the idea itself?

Besides.... do you REALLY think they are gonna have a "special thanks" section in the credits that displayed names like "Jedi Killer 9927"???

Nothing prevents developers from getting the real names from message board users, and including it in credits.

Yeah, I think it would be cool to make an appearance in the credits. As far as a free copy of the game is concerned, though, I think there would be no fair way for them to do it. How do you determine where the cutoff is to get the free game? 100 posts? 1000 posts? Donate your head for charity? B) Who's to say how many of those posts actually would have helped? There are too many members of this board for them to make it pofitable.

Thats why i said "if a suggestion is used" not "if someone posts 85,491 times, they get a new game".

Damn.... I didn't think so many people would be against the idea of getting a free copy. Facists.

(and no.... i am not serious about ANY of this)

Incidentally, attributing an insulting label to a company if they won't do what you think they should do isn't exactly smart.

Well... just for clarification, I did not intend in ANY way to insult Obsidian. All that was meant by that was it would not be a smart move to ignore these boards (i.e. start a suggestion forum just to appease fans... make them think they were contributing). This, I am sure, is NOT there intent at all.

And as far as you saying that a message board isn't a good source of information, I could not disagree more. True, a lot of what is posted on here is a bunch of b.s. Yet still, it is pretty easy to distinguish between what is a realistic suggestion, and what is more a far-fetched desire, or even worse (in terms of the initial intent of this board) a complete joke. I doubt there is a single one of us here who haven't played KOTOR I several times through. We know the game. We are who they are targeting. I'd say we are a pretty decent sample of the population.

Of course not everything that is posted here is a realistic desire, but the vast majority of our suggestions (at least at the inital creation of each thread) are genuinly what we'd like to see improved upon in this next release. Sure, we know not EVERTYING is possible, much less probable, but still.... these posts are direct imput from the gamers who know this game. I think it would be a mistake for Obsidian to not record each and every one of these suggestions (the ones they deem legitimate that is), catagorize them, and see what common themes arise, which are most important, and what can be done to fix them before release. Example... if time and time again people on these boards kept posting that they really hated the blue menu screen in KOTOR I, and that they'd REALLY REALLY like to see it be orange this time, then Obsidian should definately take that into consideration and if they can, impliment it if time allows.

The one point I am trying to make with this is that, for the most part, our imput here is very valid and should be considered and implimented if the devs feel it really coincides with the direction they want this franchise (and this game in particular) to go.

Nonsense. Including your suggestions in the game is a reward itself.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

it was intended more as a joke. Perhaps it would be better if I go back and edit it to read ".... but would it be possible if one of our suggestions is actually used that we receive a fully functional lightsaber (green for me), and a jedi robe actually worn by a cast member? Oh... and while you are at it, how about a voice over slot in this, and every other KOTOR game to come?"

Geez, for something that was "intended more as a joke", you seem to be getting pretty defensive about it. I think I was joking around too in my response. Then you called me a "facist". I don't know what you have against faces, but I think mine isn't all that bad. Maybe that's how they'll list me in the credits..."Thanks to the facist" :blink: