What type of Star Wars fan are you?

What type of Star Wars fan are you?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What type of Star Wars fan are you?

• Believes that Star Wars is real
    • Star Wars obsessed (only thinks about Star Wars)
    • Star Wars nut
    • Recovering Star Wars nut
    • Star Wars enthusiast
    • Star Wars dabbler
    • Just a movie watcher
    • Star Wars? What's that?

Books and movies are different mediums. Books can't have a wonderful score behind them. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Most people are so set on taking books and turning them into movies that they forget the mediums are drastically different.

I doubt Raiders of the Lost Ark would be quite as good as a book as the movie. William's score, and Ford's smarmy smile were so perfect.

I also could never see a book like Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth ever becomming a movie.

I don't think the Prequels deserve the bashing they get, but they had some serious problems. I think Episode 2 was a lot better than people give it credit for.

I think Episode 2 was a lot better than people give it credit for.

Personally, I liked Ep.2 much better than Ep.1. The only thing I disliked about Ep.2 was the cheesey scenes on Naboo with Anakin and Padme. I literally cringe when I those scenes.

I thought the rest of the movie was pretty interesting.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Books and movies are different mediums. Books can't have a wonderful score behind them. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Most people are so set on taking books and turning them into movies that they forget the mediums are drastically different.

I doubt Raiders of the Lost Ark would be quite as good as a book as the movie. William's score, and Ford's smarmy smile were so perfect.

I also could never see a book like Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth ever becomming a movie.

Books have the advantage of being able to add a lot more depth without extra money being spent. But you have a point in that not every movie would work as well in book form.

I don't think the Prequels deserve the bashing they get, but they had some serious problems. I think Episode 2 was a lot better than people give it credit for.

Neither was perfect,there were things that could have been done different or done better. But over all I still liked them. The biggest thing that got me when I saw Ep 1 was Qui Gon. I stayed rather spoiler free so when I saw the adds on TV I thought Qui gon was Obiwan and Obiwan was Ani. Heh,I had that one a little off.

There was another thread where I listed how six small changes would drastically change Episode 1. I think the story and movie were redeemable.

Didn't see that one,I did see your post on a scene left out ep2 and how leaving that in could have helped. I don't have the DVD's for ep 1 or 2 so I haven't seen it,from what you said I'd tend to agree. Figure I'll wait till ep 3 comes out on DVD then buy all of them together. Who knows maybe when all three are out they'll add scenes like that into the movie. Heh Star Wars the extended versions.

Here, it took me a while to find.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Imagine for a small moment that George Lucas hands me the script for Episode 1.

The basic story of Naboo, Anakin, The Trade Federation, Darth Maul, etc. are fine. They're not great, but it's passable.

Change #1 - The aliens in the movie speak in alien tongues with subtitles. Get rid of the childish accents that make the movie come across as racist. This applies to Jar-Jar as well. He was silly, and I didn't care for him. But change his voice and he comes MUCH more bearable.

Change #2 - Eliminate every use of the word "Yippee!"

Change #3 - Eliminate the midichlorian Blood Test. Merely have Qui-Gon look sagely at Anakin and say "I can sense he is strong in the Force. Perhaps as strong as Master Yoda..." He can then stroke his chin and go "Hmm...."

Change #4 - Add a small introduction scene in for Darth Maul. We never see him act evil in this movie. Perhaps if we see him dispatch of someone early on, it will add a sense of creepy forboding as he stalks down the Jedi.

Change #5 - Tweak Maul's death. The whole duel was good up to that point. In fact, it was great. Obi-Wan should have killed him with a daring and dangerous manuever. As it stands, Maul stood around and waited to be chopped in half.

Change #6 - Anakin is the most poperful Force User in the Galaxy. He's a great natural pilot, and a Pod Racing champion. Why was the Space Battle some big accident that he didn't know what he was doing? Make Anakin defiant from day 1. He steals the ship and intentionally saves the day. Obi-Wan is mad, but Anakin did save the day after-all. It establishes Episodes 2 and 3 much better.

You already have a fairly talented cast, and one of the best damn scores I've ever heard. ILM did a pretty good job with the movie. They invented THX 6.1 sound for the movie, for crying out loud. The two-headed announcer for the Pod Race looked pretty silly, but no one's perfect.

All of that could have been handled with minor reshoots or edits in post-production.

Go back and watch the Duel of the Fates music video. Watch the final trailer. Both give me goosebumps. This movie had potential.

Now, another adjustment could make the movie even better, but it's not simple. You need a full script-rewrite.

The movie is a series of meetings. This group meets and discusses this. The next group discusses that. Alot of the story could be told through action rather than dialogue.

People have heard of the Fan-Dom Menance? Where people did a few small edits and the movie played much better? Imagine doing a similiar project, but instead of just cutting scenes out all-together, you replace it with some flash animation. I'm lazy and can't draw, but I think it would be great. You couldn't distribute it though.

It would be very illegal.

Change #1 - The aliens in the movie speak in alien tongues with subtitles. Get rid of the childish accents that make the movie come across as racist. This applies to Jar-Jar as well. He was silly, and I didn't care for him. But change his voice and he comes MUCH more bearable.

That never bothered me,but making that change wouldn't hurt anything and could make it better.

Change #2 - Eliminate every use of the word "Yippee!"

Heh.

Change #3 - Eliminate the midichlorian Blood Test. Merely have Qui-Gon look sagely at Anakin and say "I can sense he is strong in the Force. Perhaps as strong as Master Yoda..." He can then stroke his chin and go "Hmm...."

Same as #1.

Change #4 - Add a small introduction scene in for Darth Maul. We never see him act evil in this movie. Perhaps if we see him dispatch of someone early on, it will add a sense of creepy forboding as he stalks down the Jedi.

Like this idea.

Change #5 - Tweak Maul's death. The whole duel was good up to that point. In fact, it was great. Obi-Wan should have killed him with a daring and dangerous manuever. As it stands, Maul stood around and waited to be chopped in half.

Part of the point in that scene was Maul's arrogance getting the better of him. But a different death wouldn't hurt because if anything it made obiwan look bad IMO.

Change #6 - Anakin is the most poperful Force User in the Galaxy. He's a great natural pilot, and a Pod Racing champion. Why was the Space Battle some big accident that he didn't know what he was doing? Make Anakin defiant from day 1. He steals the ship and intentionally saves the day. Obi-Wan is mad, but Anakin did save the day after-all. It establishes Episodes 2 and 3 much better.

That idea I really like.

I think having actual alien tongues makes Star Wars seem more like Star Wars. I can't picture Jabba speaking in English with some ridiculous accent that alludes to a human ethnicity.

True,Jabba speaking in basic just wouldn't be right. I can't see Jar Jar speaking anything but basic simply because of how many lines he has. You'd have people getting upset over having to read through the movie.

Maybe Jar-Jar should be the exception. I think adults have no problem reading that many lines, but kids might. As I kid I had no qualms reading Jabba's lines because the Rancor Pit scene was so cool.

Ackbar spoke Basic after-all.

Was obsessed with the OT in my teens.

The prequels suck - but not fatally so.

Read the early novels before I realized most were crap.

Enjoyed the Zahn Trilogy and the Rogue Squadron books.

Enjoyed the Rogue Squadron comic books.

Read the Tales of the Jedi series of comics:

KoTOR = lousy art and dialogue

Dark Lords of the Sith = better

Sith War = good epic type fun

Redemption = recommended. an emotional story of personal redemption

Also own Luke and Han in Hoth uniform and Boba Fett action figures.

Enjoyed the X-wing/Tie Fighter Series of games.

Enjoyed Rebellion SW tactical game despite its many bugs and flaws.

Very Deeply enjoyed Bio's KoTOR. More so because of it living up to the spirit of the OT and having read the TotJ comics.

I suppose that makes me a tweener: recovering nut/enthusiast

Ender - I like your ideas for ep 1.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Haha. Agreed. The man is just so full of himself. Let him write the story. Let him be the executive producer. But good grief!!!! --let someone else write the screenplay, edit, direct, and produce!

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Let's see:

- I love the original trilogy.

- I loathe the prequels.

- I haven't played any of the Star Wars PnP-rpgs.

- I own no books about the EU or the Old Republic.

- I learned about the EU only through this forum.

...i guess it leaves me as a 'movie watcher' then. Eventhough my general interest about the Star Wars universe rose greatly after playing KotOR.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I am starting on the New Jedi Order books.

Seems that people either really like the series or think it's complete garbage, rarely in between.

I personally enjoyed it. I guess because I was tired of reading stories about Luke/Leia/Han being the central characters in them. Atleast the NJO involves the "new generation" in the series.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I personally enjoyed it. I guess because I was tired of reading stories about Luke/Leia/Han being the central characters in them. Atleast the NJO involves the "new generation" in the series.

My problem with the NJO series comes from a few things they did. Not so much what they did but how it was done.

Have you read the X-Wing series of novels? They do the same kind of thing.

I couldn't really get in to them because they had a huge amount of space combat (no kidding, eh). I'm more in to ground missions and of course Hades' favorite, Jedi combat.