The It Sucks Thread

I will third Ivan and GhostofAnakin in the thank u Akari for that insider info. We now hav our explanation.

I will also second what GhostofAnakin asked, why mention, and state numerous times, that a simultaneous release wuld happen if the Xbox version was already furthur ahead of development than the PC version.

It is dumb to promise a simultaneous release if LA can't (or won't) deliver on it's promise.

I accept that the PC version requires more bug testing etc, and i will wait for the PC version of KOTOR2 when it comes out in feb.

We either ignore the spoilers, or dont turn up at all until we complete the game.

I didnt really notice any of these rant threads or the moderating, but since it's sort of an encouraged to-do thing now I guess I should add a comment about it. :p

I think it's odd that a new company such as Obsidian that repetitively use credentials and references to award-winning PC games such as Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Planescape:Torment, Icewind Dale and talks about more than 40 years of combined gaming experience should pick a CONSOLE game edition as their first achievement. ;)

Interplay had their share of problems, allright, and a lot people were saddened when they more or less turned their back on the PC gamers, shut down BiS and CONSOLEs got top-priority. Maybe the Ex-BiS devs that now constitutes Obsidian took a blow to the head in the same round and switched sides. At least they didnt forgot about us PC-gamers completely :wub: - even though it's gonna take them 3 months to remember (Feb, 2005.) <_< . Thank you. ;)

(Signatures: disabled) 

As for spoilers, count on me NOT to be giving them away

Yep nice people like you are never a problem but as I found with farcry there are always little ***** who put up threads like "stutter problem help needed/solved" or "when is the patch/ extra content due" and the first thing in their post is a blatant plot spoiler. The mods close them fast but there are never enough mods to stop people like that. I

I am not going to say everything I have in mind right now - as I don't want this thread closed.

I can wait two months yes, however what worries me most are spoilers. I wasn't visiting KotOR 1 boards before I played the game, so I didn't see much spoilers from Xboxers about the main twists in the story line.

Alright - I will wait two months. I can ask KotOR 2 for my birthday then (although I am quite sure my family will accidentally buy the X-box version of KotOR 1 if I do so, as they always mess up ;) ).

What I do ask of the moderators however is that they delete, ban and decapitate every X-boxer who posts a KotOR 2 spoiler in any forum (not topic - but forum!) which hasn't X-box in it's name...

I am European. I can only hope the European release for the PC is at the same time as the US release.

Since my xbox is modded, then do like me, import it. There are several dealers in the US who accept international orders despite what the distributor tells them.

But i'm a minority here, since TSL will not be available on any platform outside the US, piracy will be a huge issue there. Take Doom III (3 weeks delayed) and Deus Ex 2 (3 months?!) and see the sheer amount of bittorrent downloads when they were cracked.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

im really disaponited, i was gonna buy it full price retail dont get me wrong i will still buy it but i will wait til its cheaper this game is now no longer one of the games on my "must have" list ,

i know that there isnt much to do but i so hate being lied to , heh valve is still the worse i bought a new pc just for hl2 3 days after i bought my pc they delayed it jesus christ couldnt they have warned me like 1-2 weeks before the release date! ;)

I will get the game when it comes out. In Feb'05

Plenty other games to play till then.

So we have to wait 2 months longer, it probably gives them time to iron out any bugs.

People should relax, life's too short.

;)

First off, I'd like to thank Obsidian Entertainment their hard work and dedication, particularly for making the effort to come on the boards and answer our questions. Obsidian has nothing but my respect and I hold nothing against you.

I'll not go into a prolonged rant about LucasArts and Microsoft because this forum is not rated 18.

I am disappointed with the release dates for a few reasons and I'll try and outline them without flaming anyone here:

1) My biggest problem is that the release is not simultaneous. Unless PC-players do not touch the internet until February, or possibly later for Europeans such as myself, then they will inevitably be subjected to spoilers which can and will ruin the game (I speak from experiance as KotOR's storyline was spoiled for me).

2) If one of the game versions still needs work on bugs or finishing touches to the game itself then delay both games. This way there is no risk of spoilers, ill-feeling or anything. It also allows the Devs time to do even more fine tuning to the 'completed' version if they wish, resulting in an even better product.

3) Don't break your promises. I quote: "A man who breaks his word is without honour, and without honour we are nothing." Take note of that LucasArts.

Finally I appeal to X-Box players not to post spoilers on this forum unless a special sun-forum is set up for them. I do not begrudge you the earlier release of the game, and by all means enjoy it, just please do not ruin the experiance for anyone else. Thank you.

KOTOR wasn't spoiled for me...of course I wasn't at BioWare's forum for most of 2003.... :)

Same. I didn't even pay attention to KOTOR until it came out on PC, so I went into it with absolutely no knowledge of the plotline.

This time around, with me a 'regular' at the official KOTOR II message board, will not be as easy unless I just stop coming here....which I guess I'll have to do come December.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Thanks to Akari for at least his sympathy. As a PC person, I feel as though we have been, well, avoided in the last day or so by the devs and publishers. I can't really say I blame them, since this was going to be a very ugly scene no matter how you slice it.

And while we may be upset with LA's decision, because it hurts us, we must realize that it would be foolish for ANY game publisher to miss the holiday shopping season for any game that can possibly make it. LA exists to make money. That is what a corporation does. If it were possible for the PC version to be ready by Christmas, then LA would push it out the door too. I guess my point is that LA is not deliberately trying to screw us. It is a cold comfort, and we should make our displeasure known, but in a way that reflects well on us.

"j00 suxorzz!" and the like does not reflect well on us.

That being said, I think we should concentrate on the things that Obsidian and Lucasarts CAN do for us. Spoilers are going to be a very real problem. Some of the XBox crowd may do it unthinkingly, some are going to be childish enough to do it maliciously. I think that the forums should be segregated into PC and XBox, much as Bioware did. I also think that the mods should monitor the PC forum with unceasing vigilance. Spoilers and those promulgating them should be deleted and banned quickly and with no mercy.

An announcement of extra content for the PC version could also help calm things down. Adding a toolkit for modders would also be a terrific way to even the playing field, since mods are a big reason people love PC gaming to begin with. (Yes, I know this is a pipe-dream, but it never hurts to ask.)

There are those who consider the extra time to be a blessing, in the event that the game sucks. The game won't suck. The people at Obsidian have been responsible for some of the best CRPGs in history. They are working within a milieu (Star Wars) that has a mythology and a dedicated -- possibly even rabid -- fan base. The folks at Obsidian (thinking of Chris Avellone here) know how to write a great story, and it is story that drives a true RPG. I love Bioware, and think it is a brilliant company. But I fully anticipate Obsidian's version of KOTOR to be superior in every way.

I hope that this adds some constructive elements to a very hot issue. Please feel free to disagree with me, but please keep some perspective.

MadMalachi

Same. I didn't even pay attention to KOTOR until it came out on PC, so I went into it with absolutely no knowledge of the plotline.

This time around, with me a 'regular' at the official KOTOR II message board, will not be as easy unless I just stop coming here....which I guess I'll have to do come December.

This is the exact same problem i hav, it will be hard to resist coming here when the game hits Xbox dec 2004, and spoilers are placed about the place.

To the Moderators, create a special forum for those Xboxers who get KOTOR2 aroud Christmas, that way, they can talk about it, without us PCGamers and Europeans in general, reading spoliers for the game, (PC and Xbox)and who dont get KOTOR2 until feb 2005.

Edited by KOTORFanactic

First off, I'd like to thank Obsidian Entertainment their hard work and dedication, particularly for making the effort to come on the boards and answer our questions.  Obsidian has nothing but my respect and I hold nothing against you.

I'll not go into a prolonged rant about LucasArts and Microsoft because this forum is not rated 18.

I am disappointed with the release dates for a few reasons and I'll try and outline them without flaming anyone here:

1) My biggest problem is that the release is not simultaneous.  Unless PC-players do not touch the internet until February, or possibly later for Europeans such as myself, then they will inevitably be subjected to spoilers which can and will ruin the game (I speak from experiance as KotOR's storyline was spoiled for me).

2) If one of the game versions still needs work on bugs or finishing touches to the game itself then delay both games.  This way there is no risk of spoilers, ill-feeling or anything.  It also allows the Devs time to do even more fine tuning to the 'completed' version if they wish, resulting in an even better product.

3) Don't break your promises.  I quote: "A man who breaks his word is without honour, and without honour we are nothing." Take note of that LucasArts.

Finally I appeal to X-Box players not to post spoilers on this forum unless a special sun-forum is set up for them.  I do not begrudge you the earlier release of the game, and by all means enjoy it, just please do not ruin the experiance for anyone else.  Thank you.

Even if there will be a xbox-subforum, i suggest that one should avoid the forums all together when it's released in the U.S., there will surely be a couple of trolls that will crosspost spoilers all over the place.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Even if there will be a xbox-subforum, i suggest that one should avoid the forums all together when it's released in the U.S., there will surely be a couple of trolls that will crosspost spoilers all over the place.

I'd like to see the moderators come down hard on anyone purposefully making threads or posting spoilers just to be an ass about it.

Already we've had a couple of people post stuff after the release of the news with the sole intention of being "funny", so it'll be even worse when the spoilers start coming out. I hope the mods ban these people right away.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'd like to see the moderators come down hard on anyone purposefully making threads or posting spoilers just to be an ass about it.

Already we've had a couple of people post stuff after the release of the news with the sole intention of being "funny", so it'll be even worse when the spoilers start coming out. I hope the mods ban these people right away.

Rigourisly seconded, thirded, and fourthed.

Edited by KOTORFanactic

"money is the root of all evil"

-Xbox games are more expensive than PC games. By giving Xbox a two-month headstart, its ashured theyre willl be a rich profit from the Xbox market without the PC competition.

-Xbox games are not as heavily pirated as PC games, so an Xbox release would in theory, generate more profit that way also.

*points finger at Lucasarts and Microsoft*

...I read Akaris statement but I belive there's more to it than that.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I didn't find out about the different release dates until a couple days ago. Internally, we've been working on X-Box and PC versions of KotOR2 with the same level of dedication and expected to have both of them ready at the same time. 

One of the main reasons that the X-Box version is ahead of the PC version is that we were on the X-Box version for a few months before the PC version of KotOR1 even came out so that we could get the PC version code from Bioware. As a result, the X-Box version has always been a little further along, code-wise, than the PC version.  That's one reason why the E3 Demo was on X-Box. Because the X-Box build was the only one presentable by then.

I have my own opinions about why there are two different release dates now, but I'm not going to throw fuel on the fire by going into them. As a mostly PC gamer myself, I was looking forward to the anticipated simultaneous releases.

I'm sorry about the news for PC-only gamers.

-Akari

It seems blatantly obvious that it's the MS dollar that has made this decision. It's a real shame, obsidian were a company i was interested in but with recent announcments, the sucky bioware hand-me-downs, hostile comments from feargus combined with his 'NWN1 was the best single player game EVER!' pr spins and the apparant sellout of their PC roots, well there's a reason I havent' posted on these boards for months.

Good luck obsidian, but I'm not interested in you any more. Not that you care it seems, I guess bioware's money tastes good.

-Xbox games are not as heavily pirated as PC games, so an Xbox release would in theory, generate more profit that way also.

actually there is between 0 to 40 average piracy rate and on some games 90% piracy rate on xbox games according to ms uk (figures from release sent to my local store. ms rep was there (Its 98% in HK and china)) so piracy is just as bad on xbox in the uk at least. Its worse on xbox when you consider there are more xbox titles released each month. This is partly their own fault as they haven