you want the game in dvd or in cds?

Guest Loader

you want the game in dvd or in cds?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. you want the game in dvd or in cds?

• dvd
    • cds

I read somewhere that GTA: San Andreas will come on 2 DVD's.. Soon we'll be needing bigger storage units than DVD and here people are arguing that KotOR2 should come on CD's.. ;)

Four CD's was way too much. One DVD can contain data worth 6-7 CD's. DVD's are faster. Everyone has a DVD-player (at least where I come from) so what's the big deal? Let the people who enjoy juggling 6 CD's (or whatever KotOR2 will require) do so, just make sure you release it on DVD as well, ok?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I read somewhere that GTA: San Andreas will come on 2 DVD's.. Soon we'll be needing bigger storage units than DVD and here people are arguing that KotOR2 should come on CD's.. ;)

Four CD's was way too much. One DVD can contain data worth 6-7 CD's. DVD's are faster. Everyone has a DVD-player (at least where I come from) so what's the big deal? Let the people who enjoy juggling 6 CD's (or whatever KotOR2 will require) do so, just make sure you release it on DVD as well, ok?

In all honesty though, people rarely need to juggle CDs beyond the initial install.

In all honesty though, people rarely need to juggle CDs beyond the initial install.

I must have bought the wrong version of Planescape: Torment because that game is on 4 CD's too and everytime I change map I have to juggle discs like crazy. Or so it feels like ;)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

DVD drives have been around for what, 7 years?

And DVD drives are down to $35. How much longer should you have to wait?

There is no reason NOT to release the game on both formats.

Releasing things in both formats I think is an unnecessary expense. I think they would choose one or the other...although other games have gone with both formats.

I don't see the need of adding a dvd-rom drive to my pc. If I'm going to watch a dvd, I'd rather watch it on an actual television.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Like i said, some one needs to contact some 1 from lucas arts to see if they can consider this option.

What are you waiting for?

i couldnt find anywhere to submit a suggestion...in fact they said not too lol. it will take most of the devs. to get this idea rolling. post message every dev. yall know about this toppic please.

I was figuring I'd be getting in an X-Box Disc, since I'm not gonna wait 6 months for a PC version. :lol:

KOTOR2 is supposed to be released for the pc and X-Box at the same time.

Edit: But I'll be waiting 6 months anyway, for the patches to come out.

Yah, but some unlucky people like my have mesesed up DVD players. Ever since I got that NVIDIA upgrade, my DVD stuff hasn't been working. I don't know if that affects games or just movies though.

I would bet that that is only for movies.

As far as KOTOR is concerned the DVD would just be removable storage media (i.e. just like a big CD).

Even though most people now have DVD I expect it will ship on CDs just to avoid losing the tiny number of people without DVD. The chips where up for floppy disks when Ultima Underworld II shiped on about 9 and took 6 hours to install, compared to that 4 CDs is nothing.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Let's review the facts again.

DVD drives ship in all new computers, and have for a good 2 years.

DVD drives are $35.

DVD drives have been around for 7 years.

There are fewer DVD burners out there than CD burners, and CD copy-protection is a joke. I've never found a CD I couldn't burn. I highly recommend Alcohol 120% for the tough jobs.

And I've said time and time again, it doesn't have to be one or the other. If you release on both formats everyone wins. The only reason to release on CD is to cater to the audience who refuses to wake up and smell modern technology. If you release on both formats, it might instigate change in the industry, which is needed.

I remember when games had to release on Apple, C64 and IBM at the same time in a variety of media.

I agree, without companies actually releasing things on DVD there just wont be a change. I'm one of those people who still only has a CD-burner. The only reasons I haven't gone to DVD is because #1 I don't watch movies, #2 I don't have a lot of stuff I want to burn, and #3 there are hardly any games released for DVD, not making it worth while to get one.

As for Alcohol 120% it's an amazing program, but I fear they may be shut down in the future or be forced to remove some of the features. http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/monterey...ess/8928832.htm

The biggest thing about DVDs is that they are not a far enough leap in technology like CDs were. CDs could hold hundreds of floppies.

I'd like to see a DVD release, but I know that the costs associated with dual releasing are higher. Whether or not said company cares about that sort of thing is another matter, considering the dire situation LucasArts PC gaming was in earlier, I'd bet they are more concerned about the bottom line.

However, newer games like Farcry and UT2K4 have shown that it is indeed more viable, so I would say it is much more likely than when KOTOR came out.

DVD's aren't a huge leap in storage. I keep hearing rumors about a next-gen DVD with increased storage, but the problem is that they need to decide on one format and there are four proposed technologies for Super-DVD.