you want the game in dvd or in cds?

Guest Loader

you want the game in dvd or in cds?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. you want the game in dvd or in cds?

• dvd
    • cds

Fair enough.

I think a good compromise is to release two forms of packaging. Release the full box, manuals, etc with cd's.

Release a small DVD box with a DVD of the game. With the packaging being clearly different, I don't think people will buy the wrong version so much and everyone is happy.

pardon my computer retardedness, but what benefits does a DVD drive have over a CD drive?

I have a DVD drive on my old comp that ive just been too lazy to install in this one, mainly because i've never noticed a difference.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Well, it's not a huge advantage right now per se since no one releases games on DVD.

Some people like to watch DVD's on their computer, but that's not my thing. You can watch Terminator 2 on your computer in a higher resolution than is possible on a HDTV since they have a Windows Media 9 version of Terminator 2 on the DVD.

The real big advantage is storage. A DVD has much more storage room (4 gigs?) than a CD-ROM.

Well, it's not a huge advantage right now per se since no one releases games on DVD.

Some people like to watch DVD's on their computer, but that's not my thing.  You can watch Terminator 2 on your computer in a higher resolution than is possible on a HDTV since they have a Windows Media 9 version of Terminator 2 on the DVD.

The real big advantage is storage.  A DVD has much more storage room (4 gigs?) than a CD-ROM.

I believe both UT2k4 and Farcry were released on DVDs as well as CDs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :p

DVDs wont really become popular until the majority of games get big enough to actually warrant a DVD instead of 5+ CDs. It will happen, but probably not for a while.

CD. Not everyone has a DVD player on their PC. Does Obsidian want people to consider upgrades just to play their game? One has to remember that only a small percentage of people have top of the line computers with all the latest bells and whistles. DVD players can read CD-ROMs. The reverse is not true.

Personally, I would like games that do not require you to keep their cd/dvd in the drive in order to play. I realize piracy is a real concern, but if I play 3 games all requiring "CD in the drive", I end up switching all the time and have no use for desktop or menu icons. Also, if I feel like listening to an audio CD while playing, it is not possible.

Just my two cents worth...

I hate it when I get yet another game in the mail that consist of 4-5-6 cd's. I was so happy when I got Far Cry and UT2004 on DVD. No more cd swapping! And I think DVD players are faster than CD players. If I remember correctly a 1x CD-rom reads 150kb/s, thus a 52x CD-rom reads 7800kb/s (at most). A DVD-rom running in 8x reads 11Mb/s, and a 16x DVD 22Mb/s.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I hate it when I get yet another game in the mail that consist of 4-5-6 cd's. I was so happy when I got Far Cry and UT2004 on DVD. No more cd swapping! And I think DVD players are faster than CD players. If I remember correctly a 1x CD-rom reads 150kb/s, thus a 52x CD-rom reads 7800kb/s (at most). A DVD-rom running in 8x reads 11Mb/s, and a 16x DVD 22Mb/s.

Most games only require CD swapping at install time. It is a lot easier just to keep track of and store one DVD though.

I think all your bits "b" should be bytes "B".

I wonder if a DVD version could in fact cost a little less, compared to a 4-cd pack.

anyway, I think there should be both versions. like back at the time of Commodore 64, you'd have both the cassette release of a game, and the 5 1/4 floppy disk version. :(

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

You can't use that logic forever, or you'll neve change media. Someone has to be the trendsetter.

DVD's are the way to go. DVD drives are as cheap as $30-$35.

Wrong where I come from you by a CD-R with 30 - 35 Euros witch is almost 30 - 35$. You can buy a DVD drive even with 15$. :ph34r:

but then again, if you scratch a dvd, more data will get messed up...thats almost the only downside. more speed is on a cd rom too, but i vote for dvd. i want 2 cds to keep up with instead of 4.

DVD Players are much faster.

I have a 4X DVD Player, and it can install stuff a million times faster than my CD-Burner which reads at 32X

My friend's 12X DVD annihilates his 52X Burner

It is time to crawl up to the next level.

The only time I use my CD drive anymore is to store the play disc for whatever game I'm playing because the game won't recognize the DVD drive for copywrite purposes.

Like was said numerous times...DVD is way faster. I can install a game in less than half the time on my DVD drive as the CD.

Another bonus to DVD is not having to store (and subsequently misplace or lose) a stack of install CDs.

I vote for giving us the option to buy the one we prefer. I'd choose DVD.

How many people said they wouldn't upgrade their music collection to CD in the eighties? Most of the people I knew. How many still have 3 tons of vinyl and audio tape stacked up now? One...he collects them now. I agree with Hades...it's time for the software to keep up with the hardware.