you want the game in dvd or in cds?

Guest Loader

you want the game in dvd or in cds?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. you want the game in dvd or in cds?

• dvd
    • cds

Ideally, both formats(no bonuses either way, please. That's just cheap). But, if you have to go one format - go CD. It's still the standard, and while the DVD fanboys(in EVERY debate of this sort) keep screeching "Well, uh, we have to FORCE that change by putting out DVD-only games, like floppy-CDs!", they forget two important things:

A) A DVD holds maybe 6 or 7 CD's. The CD holds HUNDREDS of floppies.

B ) CD's had a killer app. And it didn't FORCE the change. People were simply so enthralled with Myst, they bought it FOR THAT GAME. While some of us fanboys MIGHT buy a DVD just for KOTOR2, most people WON'T. And, at any rate, nobody's MADE a game that really needs all that storage space. When they do, I'll pick up a drive. Till then, don't screw over customers on the matter.

I won't buy a DVD-only KOTOR2. Period. No matter how great it is.

All you cd freaks are smoking crack........

A real pressed dvd is 9 GB not 4 as someone stated...... 4.7 GB is for dvd-r and all variants.

Someone said that cd was faster.......wrong again..... DVD drive transer data 3 times faster the a 52x cdrom drive......... There as not been any advances in speed for a few years on the cdrom front 52x is the limit......

A good game that should of been on dvd was Farcry (5 disc) I'm sorry but I don't like keeping up with all thosese discs.

The next gen DVD format is going to be around 50 GB on one disc....

Anyways DVD's have been around for quite a few years and you can get them for around 40 bucks while a 52x Cdrom is still going for 72 bucks.

Let take production cost in to effect..... the more disc (cd's ) you have for your game the more cost is added to your game..... Addital art work or each disc.....pressing all those disc..... pakaging...... It cost more for a multi cd game then one dvd game.....

You guys do the math...... I dont know why anyone would still have a cdrom in their rig....... :unsure:

A good game that should of been on dvd was Farcry (5 disc)  I'm sorry but I don't like keeping up with all thosese discs.

Uhm.. My Far Cry came on a DVD..? What kind of weird version did you buy?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

What is this garbage about all 52x CD-ROM drives being $72? I see prices ranging from $30-$40 for normal CD-ROM drives, with CD Burners and CD/DVD drives being more up in the $50+ range.

Then again, the DVD drives aren't much more expensive. Just don't go saying that CD-ROMs cost more than DVD drives.

And I'm sorry to say it mkreku, but Far Cry's box says it's a CD-ROM game (or at least CompUSA's version is).

Anyway, I wouldn't mind just one DVD rather than four CDs, but some non-DVDers may be pissed that they need to buy a drive just to play their game (and as such, won't buy). Give it a few more years before you start releasing games on DVD. Heck, by then, we'll NEED to release them on DVD.

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

why not do a duel release? I mean then the people who wanted the dvd version would get and the people who couldn't afford a DVD drive could buy it on cd.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

U CD freaks are insane...I hate nothing more at installation then having to switch CD's 5 or 6 freakin times...I could let a dvd install while doing something else...

Good use of time...

Organization.....

Speed....

And why would you want 1 or more disks? ... Only reason I would if it came out on 2 DVD's. That would be sweet.

(Using Force Prusaude)

Adria....You see the goodness of DVD-Roms

Why you waving your arms at me? You think you some kind of Jedi or something?!

Seriously, I will be getting a DVD with my new rig, and I do indeed see that DVDs are more efficient than CDs. Still, this is something that, despite the length of time that DVDs have been out, has been slow and resistant to change. CDs are cheap to manufacture, most PCs come stock with a standard CD-R, and until that changes, I don't really see a DVD gaming exclusive being the standard.

Then again, I'm a writer, what in the world do I know about market trends?!

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

(Using Force Prusaude)

Adria....You see the goodness of DVD-Roms

Why you waving your arms at me? You think you some kind of Jedi or something?!

Seriously, I will be getting a DVD with my new rig, and I do indeed see that DVDs are more efficient than CDs. Still, this is something that, despite the length of time that DVDs have been out, has been slow and resistant to change. CDs are cheap to manufacture, most PCs come stock with a standard CD-R, and until that changes, I don't really see a DVD gaming exclusive being the standard.

Then again, I'm a writer, what in the world do I know about market trends?!

Well its 2004 and Dvd-r Is actually a standard if you buy a new comp from retail. Because everybody know its the future.

Well its 2004 and Dvd-r Is actually a standard if you buy a new comp from retail. Because everybody know its the future.

Yeah, it is now, but people are still using their rigs from years ago, simply replacing component parts like sound cards and video cards, etc. as needed. Until enough of them (me) can get that new rig, CD-Rs won't be phased out enough for DVD exclusive production to be lucrative to most publishers.

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

Yeah, it is now, but people are still using their rigs from years ago, simply replacing component parts like sound cards and video cards, etc. as needed. Until enough of them (me) can get that new rig, CD-Rs won't be phased out enough for DVD exclusive production to be lucrative to most publishers.

i was one of these people who just dint wanted to upgrade to dvd :blink: but...

Since UT2k4 i got tired of swapping cds :lol:

The next jump is Super-DVD, of which there are four proposed formats, but they will all be backwards compatible with DVD.

DVD Burners are $70-$80 at New Egg. The first CD burner I bought was a 10x when it was top of the line, and I glady paid $250. I think I will be getting me a DVD-R by year's end.

Would it be so bad to release about 30% of KOTORs release on DVD so publishers can test the water without huge expense. You wont get all gamers on DVDs without releasing more dvd format games yet publishers don?t release on dvd because not enough people have dvds. Why does the consumer always have to take the first step!

Besides every new pc I have seen now has dvd, everyone I know has dvd and everyone I know who buys multi-cd games wants dvd releases. It would help to stop the insane case designs publishers insist upon coming up with some times.