Do you like mangas?

ramza

Mangas are those tiny japanese black&white comic books and there are loads of them out there. Generally, all those animes that you watch are tv adaptations of those comic books but are not made by the same authors. Usually they have the same story, some episodes are changed or some are even added but the spirit remains the same. The only difference is that those cartoons are designed for a young public and thus don't have extremely violent contents or mature discussions in them (by saying that I mean discussions that have serious and philosophical themes such as the meaning of life, the value of human life, revenge, courage, solitude, and other -maybe stereotypical but still enjoyable- topics). Mangas are designed for a broader public (mainly a young public) but does also include adults as some specific series present some aspects of life that only adults can perceive due to their experience.

Anyway, I discovered mangas with DragonBall when I was 12 and then I started reading more and more series with different stories, settings(fantasy, historical setting, etc), characters, fighting techniques, etc... All of them may look alike to each other but they are different as each author has his pretty own ideas and opinions and tries to reflect those in their works...

Some mangas are enjoyable because they have silly jokes in them, others are enjoyable because of the incredible fights, others are enjoyable because of the charismatic characters,etc... There are tons of mangas out there that can match anyone's tastes...

As for me, I reading 15 series that are from different genres but I find all of them really captivating: for those who know about mangas, I particularly like "Naruto" and "Samurai Deeper Kyo"...

For those wanting to get initiated, here are some links with free manga scans and I particularly recommend you to read "HunterxHunter" (this is interesting for those liking fantasy stories) and "Black Cat" :

http://www.toriyamaworld.com/manga.html

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~rmazores/naruto

Cheers.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

You know, mkreku, when ramza was saying 'the only difference is that [anime is] designed for a young public and thus don't have extremely violent contents or mature discussions in them' I was thinking just that.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I've read a few manga series, myself. Usually I'll see an anime I enjoy and then go dig up the manga that it was based on, like Kenshin or Berserk. Since there's not a lot of anime I enjoy enough to follow up on, my list of mangas read is fairly short. But I've enjoyed them when I have read them.

-Akari

I used to follow a few Manga series (JoJo, Hokuto no Ken, Sanctuary, Nausicaa and others), but after a while i lost interest.

I rarely bother with anime. Many of them are mere adaptations of the original manga and never quite manage to retain the feel of the original source.

You know, mkreku, when ramza was saying 'the only difference is that [anime is] designed for a young public and thus don't have extremely violent contents or mature discussions in them' I was thinking just that.

Mangas are no different then Anime, it's just that the author gets more of a leeway on what they can do with it.

Violence is more graphic, the story more original and daring, originality more prominent (this is where most anime are born), it's a much more fertile ground.

Plus, the drawings can be quite beatiful...

I have read very few mangas beyond Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed. I have watched a lot of Anime like Cowboy Bebop, Bubblegum Crisis (originals and remakes), Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Legend of the Over Slong (Okay its fiend but it is appropriate word changing), Tenchi Muyo, Dragonball Z, and the such.

Berserk owns all period.

20th Century Boys is awesome too. But hands down Berserk is the greatest Manga I ever had the pleasure of reading and one the best stories.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Guest Michael Chu

I'm currently reading Trigun (Maximum) and Rurouni Kenshin as they're released.

Some of my past favorites have been: Ah! My Goddess, GTO, I"s, Lone Wolf and Cub, Marmalade Boy, and Read Or Die.