Player Voice?

Just an idea.

Voice acting the player character would require a significant amount of resources on the part of casting the selection of voices, and the coding to make it work, but given that this is the sequel to one of the most popular GOTY, wouldn't something like this be needed to aid in putting it ahead of it's predecessor?

Maybe select from a couple of male and a couple of female voices during character creation? I don't know of any game out that has tried to do this, but this game already lends itself well to the idea, what with all of the relevant dialogue voice-acted in the original.

The lack of a PC voice didn't normaly bother me, as I read the line in my head my brain filled in the black. However there was a cut scene near the end in which the PC had a line (to Carth) that apeared in subtitle but wasn't spoken, this seemed odd. If (as is most likely) there is no PC voice again the writers should try to avoid this situation.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Maybe select from a couple of male and a couple of female voices during character creation? I don't know of any game out that has tried to do this

Wizardry 8. Minimal voice sets allow for multiple male and female voices, the regulating difference being the personalities. There are several pre-recorded voice sets for different personalities (moody, intellectual, backstabbing, etc).

The reason i don't see this being incorporated into TSL is simply the cost and work associated with recording several types of voices. Given that apparently all speech will have voice over, it's likely that there will only be one voice set for either gender.

While I would like my pc to have his/hers own voice on the other hand it takes something out of the character. Like in the BG series all other characters could speak (some times) except for the protagonist. Somehow the game left you with an imaginary voice in your mind making the character unique. In other games like GOTHIC where the main hero was fully voiced I had the feeling that he was allways the same character nomatter how the game played out.

Just an idea. I understand the reasons people wouldn't want it. It does leave little to the imagination for creating your own personality. I just thought that it might be a next progression type of thing. Maybe once games start coming out on DVD they might give it a try.

Games are already coming out on DVD.. In Europe.

Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3 are both out on DVD here and they are both better versions than their North American CD counterparts. (Higher resolution movies, better, and more, sounds etc.)

And Unreal Tournament 2004 and Far Cry were also released on DVD here in Europe, although I don't know how they were released in NA.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

That would suck because the chracter should represent you and I don't want to have to listen to somebody else's voice in a game where I make the character.

But you did hear someone elses voice if you ever set mines, went into stealth, or on a few other ocasions that i cant remember exactly. I wouldnt mind a voice being added, but this was my first (and probly only) role playing game i have played so i guess thats why i dont mind.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

The PC has far to much dialogue in the game. And people will complain that they don't like the selection of voices.

People complain about voice acting as is, but what if you have to hire 8 voice actors for the main character?

Maybe select from a couple of male and a couple of female voices during character creation?  I don't know of any game out that has tried to do this

Wizardry 8. Minimal voice sets allow for multiple male and female voices, the regulating difference being the personalities. There are several pre-recorded voice sets for different personalities (moody, intellectual, backstabbing, etc).

The reason i don't see this being incorporated into TSL is simply the cost and work associated with recording several types of voices. Given that apparently all speech will have voice over, it's likely that there will only be one voice set for either gender.

Wizardry 8's was mostly for barks though wasn't it?